2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Girlfriend, Arkansas, and she's new to the outdoor, my girlfriend wants to get into hiking< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
TheKid2 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2013, 9:44 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My girlfriend is moving to Little Rock for a few months (Jan-March).  She has expressed interest in backpacking but has never even been camping.

I was thinking that car camping with some good scenic hiking would be a great way to get her started.  Any ideas on some places to go or when to go?  I was thinking March more so than Jan or Feb.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
theo Search for posts by this member.
Error 420

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2013, 11:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd suggest the Maumelle Campground and going over to Pinnacle Mountain State Park for day hiking. I've stay at Maumelle and it is a really nice campground on the Arkansas River and Pinnacle is one of my favorite AR parks. Plus, if your girlfriend is really not a camper/outdoors type, you're right there by Little Rock.
 Post Number: 3
theo Search for posts by this member.
Error 420

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2013, 11:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you are want to get away from Little Rock, I highly recommend Petit Jean State Park or Mt. Nebo. Good campgrounds a lots of good scenic hiking.
 Post Number: 4
VAN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2013, 7:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I second Pinnacle Mountain! It was so much fun for a day hike.

--------------
"Long you live and high you fly. And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd
 Post Number: 5
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2013, 8:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've never been but also hear good things about Petit Jean SP.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 6
Bass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 9:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Arkansas has great state parks, and Petit Jean is one of the best. Plus Petit Jean is close to Little Rock. And Petit Jean has some nice trails. I think that getting into camping around the Little Rock area is great! So many choices!

For her first trip, you might consider camping in October at Lake Catherine State Park AND going into Hot Springs the next day as a way to EASE her into camping. The October temperatures are normally comfortable with no bugs and you will have colours as the leaves change. Note that the Lake Catherine campground is small and the area around the park is developed with condos - but it is still a very pretty setting.

If she enjoys the first night of camping OK, then it is time to head for Petit Jean.

And once she gets comfortable with short hikes in the state parks, I'd recommend a backpack on the Ozark Highlands Trail in northwest Arkansas..
 Post Number: 7
John Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2013, 10:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

All good suggestions thus far.  The long distance Ouachita Trail (223 miles) starts/ends at Pinnacle Mountain SP.  When she feels up to backpacking, this is a nice trail.
6 replies since Sep. 30 2013, 9:44 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Girlfriend, Arkansas, and she's new to the outdoor
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions