2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: LA or TX Camping?, Where are/is the best place(s) to camp?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
CharlieInTexas Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2013, 9:23 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I live in Houston & work all week in Baton Rouge.  I visited Lake Conroe last weekend & wasn't impressed, as least as far as wanting to camp there.  Tunica Hills is more appealing, but I've been there so many times.  I'd like to see mountains, or hills at least...I'd like to have decent water sources & am trying to avoid heat & humidity.  So I'm looking for suggestions.  I'm taking a week long camping trip in 3 weeks, but I want to spend this weekend testing some of the new gear I bought before I trek out for 4-5 days.  Suggestions?  Thanks in advance!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Bass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2013, 11:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A bit of a drive from Houston - about 9 hours. But Big Bend is my fav.
The drive is worth it. You'd still need a long weekend.

I think that Texas State Parks are nice, but still expensive and really more directed to the retirees and the RV crowd. Louisiana State Parks aren't much better.

Another direction is north to Arkansas. Petit Jean State Park is one of my fav. But all of the Arkansas State Parks are nice and have more hiking opportunities.
 Post Number: 3
ChasWill Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2013, 1:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Arkansas has lots of hiking, especially in fall through spring (summer is too hot for me).  My web site has maps and trail descriptions of most of the trails, plus some other trails in TX, OK, MO and a few wildernesses out west.  Maybe you can find something there.

Charlie, too

--------------
Charlie
OuachitaMaps.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2013, 2:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Several nice state parks in the Hill Country of Texas for your weekend getaway

Colorado Bend is one of my favorites:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks/colorado-bend

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 5
CajunHiker Search for posts by this member.
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 12:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No way to avoid heat & humidity in Houston and Baton Rouge this time of year.  ;)  Soon, it'll be much better!

Within three hours of Baton Rouge is the Kisatchie National Forest in central - north La. with some backpacking trails and the Homochitto National Forest in Mississippi with some overnight trails.  Both may be closed with the shutdown -- you may want to check before heading out.

Also, Chicot State Park near Ville Platte LA has a 20-mile (or so) backpacking loop.  It won't be affected by the shutdown, isn't too far away, and is fairly hilly.

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
 Post Number: 6
CharlieInTexas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 6:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

@ Bass : Big Bend would be a drive...and if I am going to spend that much time driving, I'd probably prefer to drive away from the heat.  Ha!  Arkansas is not that far from Baton Rouge & I've spent some time googling their parks, but good info is scarce :-/  So thanks, I'll check out Petit Jean!

@ Charlie : (great name you have there, by the way) I bookmarked your maps page.  That's impressive!

@ ChuckD : Colorodo Bend is probably as far from me as Big Bend, but it looks promising.  I'm checking out your link right now.  Thank you!

@ CajunKiller : I was googling Homochitto last night.  Also, checking out Desoto.  Homochitto is 2 hours away & is a strong possibility for a weekend trip.  And actually, I am not all that worried about the shut down...I figured I could find a parking lot somewhere to leave my car, as opposed to getting towed from a state park trailhead because the park is closed...lol

Thanks you guys!
 Post Number: 7
John Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 7:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you're in Houston and want to test your gear, head to the Lone Star Trail.  Check the website, lonestartrail.org.
Are you car camping or backpacking?  I'm in Houston too and for my backpacking trips, I drive to AR's Ouachita Mountains.  Caney Creek Wilderness, Eagle Rock Loop and the Ouachita Trail.  Charlie has all of the info on his site.   It's about 7 1/2 hours to the Ouachitas from Houston but probably shorter from Red Stick.
 Post Number: 8
brownmouse Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 5:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lost Maples is nice. I like Colorado Bend too. We just had a wonderful time at Garner St Park. Week days - not busy at all.

--------------
"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees."   John Muir   1898
 Post Number: 9
peder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 20 2013, 9:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Take a look at Toledo Bend on the LA side - Toledo Bend Lake Country. (But I'm partial to the east Texas Piney Woods.)
 Post Number: 10
peder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 20 2013, 9:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've camped at the Isle du Bois unit of the Lake Ray Roberts SP north of Dallas. It has campsites in the Hawthorne campground which are located away from a central parking lot. It's a wooded area where the trees afford a bit of privacy. The campsites in the park that I like best are on the lakeside of the Quail Run campground with nice views of the lake and access to a small beach. They are the traditional vehicle pull-in type which I like for convenience of unloading/loading. Here's the link to a map of the park.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publica....37n.pdf
 Post Number: 11
CajunHiker Search for posts by this member.
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 20 2013, 9:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How did I become "CajunKiller"?  ???  Grrr.

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
 Post Number: 12
theo Search for posts by this member.
Error 420

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 20 2013, 11:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CajunHiker @ Oct. 20 2013, 8:46 pm)
How did I become "CajunKiller"?  ???  Grrr.

Must have been talking to Eyebp. ;)
11 replies since Oct. 01 2013, 9:23 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply LA or TX Camping?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions