2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: TR: Tallulah Gorge & Art Loeb< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
HikerDude73 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 14 2013, 10:02 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Me & my wife got away for 3 days last week and did a bunch of hiking. I couldn't decide on what to do so we just did a bunch of everything. I tend to want to hike too many places at once instead of just doing one long multiday slog in the same area. I guess I'm just a variety whore and want to hit as many highlights as possible. So for last Thurs, Friday, Sat we hiked all day everyday but in different locations and sometimes we did multiple trails in a single day in different areas.

Overall we hiked:

Tallulah Gorge, GA - 4 miles
Wesser Bald, NC (AT) - 3 miles
Are Loeb Trail, NC - 8 miles
Huckleberry Knob, NC - 2.5 miles
Hooper Bald, NC - 1 mile
Joyce Kilmer Loop, NC - 2 miles
Naked Ground Trail, NC - 4.4 miles

But here is some specific information on Tallulah Gorge & a good section of the Art Loeb trail that we did.

Tallulah Gorge is in NE Georgia and is close to 1,000' at deep at it's deepest point. The Tallulah river cuts through at the bottom and is controlled by a Georgia Power dam. You can get a free gorge floor pass in the main office (They give out 100 a day max) as long as its not a high water release day (currently Wed & Fri). Fortunately it was Thursday so we got passes to the floor.

View from the top looking West as we begin our trip down to the floor. There are multiple waterfalls to see.

View of the gorge Looking East. Can you spot he suspension bridge about 1/2 way down?

Crossing said suspension bridge.

On the other side of the bridge is this sign. Just over 1/2 way down now. It is a total of 568 stair step climb down to the bottom.

At the bottom stair section you get to the river and a wooden deck to few a different set of waterfalls. There is a gate you can cross to enter the gorge as long as you filled out the gorge pass at the main office.

Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 14 2013, 10:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

At this point we took off our boots, rolled up our hiking pants and rock hopped until we had to ford about 2-1/2' of water to get to the other side where the trail continues down stream. The other side of the river gives you this view of the waterfall at the base.

Once on the other side we have a solid 3/4 mile fairly aggressive bouldering hike. Lots of climbing and ankle twisters everywhere. You pass another waterfall about 1/2 way.

At the end of the "trail" if you want to call it that is a final waterfall that is a popular slide to ride down and end in a swimming pool. There are high water mark tags along the route so you can monitor the water level in the case of a dam break emergency so you can head to higher ground.

You have to ford the river again at the top of these falls through a nice pool of water, but very, very slick rock under foot because of algae to the other side.

We hiked past this point to see how far down we could go. We came upon this cool set of chutes not to far down stream before we had to turn around.

We climbed back up and crossed the river to the other side and then it's a rock/boulder wall climb of 500'+ straight up a 45 degree angle gorge wall. That was pretty cool. At the top you loop it back around the top of the gorge to the parking area. Overall its really cool experience and a ton of interesting hiking in a compact 4 mile loop. I would def recommend it. But it's not for the faint of heart or for small children and you need to be fairly physically fit.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 14 2013, 10:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The next day we drove the BRP and parked at the Black Balsam trailhead and hiked the Art Loeb Trail. The section we did was between 5,200' & 6,200' high all day. We had perfect clear blue skies and temps in the low 60's. Your exposed above treeline and I got a burnt forehead. lol. We climbed up and over Black Balsam Knob, Tenent Mtn and on over to Shining Rock. There was some good color up at these high elevations.

On top of Black Balsam knob looking back down at the trail we just came up.

Some backpacker had picked a great spot for the night on top of the ledge.

Looking down over Graveyard Fields.

Top of Tenent Mtn.

Continuing on the Art Loeb trail heading north.

Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 14 2013, 10:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We found a small oasis of tree's and just off trail found this cool tent site. We got out of the sun & sat & hydrated here and gave our feet a 30 min. rest.

Continuing on to Shining Rock.

I want to go back and backpack the entire Art Loeb trail. Great star gazing campsites along the entire route with endless 360 degree pano views.

Was a great 3 days of hiking!
 Post Number: 5
mossy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 14 2013, 12:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice TR. That spot in the trees looks pretty inviting.
 Post Number: 6
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2013, 9:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I love Tallulah Gorge. Used to go as a kid and hike down the steep side of the gorge to the Sliding Rock. Took my daughter there last summer and we did the stairs to the boulder-scramble down to the slide (officially called Bridalveil Fall). I don't suppose you went swimming in Oct? Lots of fun, thanks for the pics.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2013, 11:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mossy @ Oct. 14 2013, 12:48 pm)
Nice TR. That spot in the trees looks pretty inviting.

It was a very cool spot.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2013, 11:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JRinGeorgia @ Oct. 16 2013, 9:40 am)
I love Tallulah Gorge. Used to go as a kid and hike down the steep side of the gorge to the Sliding Rock. Took my daughter there last summer and we did the stairs to the boulder-scramble down to the slide (officially called Bridalveil Fall). I don't suppose you went swimming in Oct? Lots of fun, thanks for the pics.

The water was very nice and it was sunny and near 80 degrees in the afternoon. There was one family with 3 boys sliding down the falls & swimming. It felt like summer. If that family wasn't there I was damn near tempted to strip down and take a dip myself. lol
7 replies since Oct. 14 2013, 10:02 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply TR: Tallulah Gorge & Art Loeb
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions