2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Daniel Boone national forest, Red river gorge< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Irishgoose Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 20 2013, 6:29 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm leaving soon to Daniel Boone national forest area. Looking for any suggestions for camping. áI'm looking for something quiet but good scenery also. Any info would help , I'm not that familiar with the area.
Thank you .
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
kevinumberger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 21 2013, 4:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

do you want car camping?

or "backcountry" camping?

its been ten years since ive done anything in that area but i could search the archives of my mind and maybe come up with a place....
 Post Number: 3
TheBeef Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 21 2013, 4:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Where are you travelling from? Red River is a fairly limited area. Depending on where you're coming from, Big South Fork would give you more options.
 Post Number: 4
markweth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2013, 1:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd agree that the Big South Fork would give you more options. There are also some great lesser-known hikes in the southern end of the Daniel Boone National Forest.

However, the Red River Gorge is an incredible place as well and if it is more convenient for you then I'd be happy to give you more details.

If you can tell me what you're looking for -- base camp and then dayhikes, backpacking trips, mix of both -- it would be much easier to provide some suggestions.

--------------
Mostly Southeastern Outdoor Scenery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mvweth
 Post Number: 5
liv4mtns Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2013, 1:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mark,

I viewed your Flickr link. You've got some really nice photos there. That 70" waterfall is definitely something I'd love to shoot. If you don't mind me asking, where are you located?

--------------
Kevin.

Bozeman MT / Winder GA.

http://kevinboyer.zenfolio.com/
 Post Number: 6
markweth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2013, 4:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I live near the Red River Gorge in Kentucky. The waterfall is one county over from where I live. I'll send you a PM with more info.

--------------
Mostly Southeastern Outdoor Scenery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mvweth
 Post Number: 7
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2013, 1:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Irishgoose @ Oct. 20 2013, 5:29 pm)
I'm leaving soon to Daniel Boone national forest area. Looking for any suggestions for camping. áI'm looking for something quiet but good scenery also. Any info would help , I'm not that familiar with the area.
Thank you .

Really need to know if you want to camp in the backcountry (overnight backpacking) or camp at a site where you park your car.

If just car-camping, do you plan to do some hiking as well?

Red River Gorge & Natural Bridge State Park have a variety of camping opportunites, and great hiking with fanatstic geologic formations. But if you're looking for a more extended backpacking experience, Big South Fork offers similar scenery in a much larger area.

Aside from the Clifty Wilderness section of RRG, you can pretty much see all of it in a series of dayhikes. If you don't like established car-camping sites (people, noise) you can park your car at any number of roadside pull-offs within RRG and walk in a short distance to camp (must purchase permit for car, probably still $5/day at the Shell station in Slade).

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
6 replies since Oct. 20 2013, 6:29 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Daniel Boone national forest
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions