2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Frusterated in Florida< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
DRail11 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2013, 1:18 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi I'm new here.
I am from the Adirondacks but I live in southeast Florida now. Back home there were so many places to just go camping or hiking. Here in Florida there is no place I can find that doesn't have a million restrictions. No dogs, no firearms, no fires, must be there before a certain time, must have a permit, must pay to get in. Can anyone tell me a place within a few hours of west palm beach I can go and either tailgate camp or go backpacking without all the regulations?
Thanks
DRail11
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2013, 2:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dear Frustrated In Florida,
I'd be bummed too if I was DRailed in Florida, although a recent personality characteristics profile (created by a sadists I'm sure) indicated I should be living there.  Lucky for you there are almost unlimited hiking possibilities just a few uncomfortable airplane hours west of your unfortunate predicament.  Coming west, you will encounter on average only half a million restrictions.  Personally I would prefer that you leave your fires, firearms and dogs at home, but if you do bring them please be courteous and responsible.  Hope you get rerailed and back on the trail soon.  Welcome to the forum. 
Llamapacker
 Post Number: 3
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2013, 3:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Scrub Jay at JD state pk?  Ocala NF?

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 4
VAN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2013, 3:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Look at the state forests. You may still have to file a permit or place one in your car, but they can be found online or at self pay stations. My favorite local hike (in central FL) is Little Big Econ State forest.

Ocala national forest is also a gem! Also, did you know we have a hiking trail that stretches all the way across the state. Read up!

http://www.floridatrail.org/

Try these resources:
http://www.outintheboonies.com/

http://www.floridahikes.com/

--------------
"Long you live and high you fly. And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd
 Post Number: 5
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2013, 12:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is there ample water on the florida trail? Could I park and hike and camp for several days and turn around and return and be able to replace water along the way?
 Post Number: 6
mossy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2013, 4:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(oldnolder @ Nov. 27 2013, 12:45 pm)
Is there ample water on the florida trail? Could I park and hike and camp for several days and turn around and return and be able to replace water along the way?

Depends on where you are on the trail. I've hiked several stretches in the ONF and finding water was not a problem.
 Post Number: 7
mossy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2013, 4:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(DRail11 @ Nov. 26 2013, 1:18 pm)
Hi I'm new here.
I am from the Adirondacks but I live in southeast Florida now. Back home there were so many places to just go camping or hiking. Here in Florida there is no place I can find that doesn't have a million restrictions. No dogs, no firearms, no fires, must be there before a certain time, must have a permit, must pay to get in. Can anyone tell me a place within a few hours of west palm beach I can go and either tailgate camp or go backpacking without all the regulations?
Thanks
DRail11

Ocala National Forest. You will pay to stay in a USFS campground ($8-10) but after hunting season you can camp pretty much anywhere and bring along all the evil creatures/items/activities.
 Post Number: 8
Roger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2013, 4:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There are plenty of places to hike in Florida and to do short backpack trips.  The Florida Trails Association has a lot of information and has chapters around the state.  Many have monthly meetings where you can learn a lot about Florida trails.  Also, don't restrict your outdoors to just hiking.  Florida is a great state to paddle.  There are a number of great rivers and then there is the everglades and Gulf of Mexico where you can paddle for days without seeing one condo!

This time of year Florida is one of the best places to be for outdoor activity.  

Get out and enjoy!

--------------
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
 Post Number: 9
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2013, 5:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I hope the situation is different but back when I was a fla. resident the glades didn't have a lot of water in it....and I spent a lot of days walking in the glades....

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
8 replies since Nov. 26 2013, 1:18 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Frusterated in Florida
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions