2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: GSMNP.... Enloe Creek Camp Site #47< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
liv4mtns Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2013, 8:41 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm looking to do some backcountry flyfishing on Ravens Fork, and site 47 looks perfect for my needs. I'll come in on the Hyatt Ridge Trail off of Straight Fork Road. Has anyone stayed there before that can offer some intel? ( Kevin Umberger, ashepabst,)

--------------
Kevin.

Bozeman MT / Winder GA.

http://kevinboyer.zenfolio.com/
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2013, 10:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

nah, not me. i know it's a small site, right on the river. i have in my notes that other folks weren't able to find a decent spot to hammock at the site, if that affects your plans. i do know that Straight Fork Road is closed until April 1. you planning on visiting earlier?

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2013, 11:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ashepabst @ Dec. 03 2013, 8:40 am)
nah, not me. i know it's a small site, right on the river. i have in my notes that other folks weren't able to find a decent spot to hammock at the site, if that affects your plans. i do know that Straight Fork Road is closed until April 1. you planning on visiting earlier?

Thanks ashepabst. I'll be tent camping. I talked to the local Fly Shop owner and he told me I could park at the gate on Straight Fork Road and hike up to the TH. He said it's less than a mile to hike so that might work out for me.

--------------
Kevin.

Bozeman MT / Winder GA.

Post Number: 4
smokehiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2013, 11:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It is a very small site on the Raven Fork.  Room for 2 tents at best.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2013, 1:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(smokehiker @ Dec. 03 2013, 9:37 am)

Thanks smokehiker. I was able to find a trip report online that a guy did, and he posted a picture of the site in his report. It's definitely not the biggest site I've seen, but should be plenty of room for my tent.

--------------
Kevin.

Bozeman MT / Winder GA.

Post Number: 6
Hiker01 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2013, 11:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Go to page two and there are a couple of pics of the site.  It's small but one of my favorites.  This was the first year I ever saw it closed because of bear activity.  

http://smoky01.smugmug.com/Other...._NdJGcw
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2013, 9:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks very much Hiker01. That really gives me a great sense of what to expect. Terrific pictures.

--------------
Kevin.

Bozeman MT / Winder GA.

Post Number: 8
kevinumberger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2013, 11:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

it is a small site.....but at one point the group i used to go hiking with managed to get 7 tents in there....

the bear cables are attached to the bridge and it also has a bear pole (late night fun)....

not much firewood in the area as there's not much flat area to look.....as in....the campsite is flat but the trail sits on the side of a hill so everything is uphill.....

if the road is open coming outta big cove road, you should be able to park right at trailhead and hike in from there...

also---hope you know how to find the straight fork road......it can be kinda tricky at first, but once there, it's easy drivin..

also---there are a couple of cemeteries right off that road if yer into that kinda thing....

I talked to the local Fly Shop owner and he told me I could park at the gate on Straight Fork Road and hike up to the TH. He said it's less than a mile to hike so that might work out for me.

that is incorrect.......if the gate is closed at straight fork---it's 2 and a half mile roadwalk to the trailhead.......i just checked the map and the brown book description and thats what it told me....

hope that helps....
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2013, 12:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks Kevin. I knew you would eventually check in. The shop owner wasn't exactly sure on the mileage, but after checking my map, I knew it was longer than a mile. No big deal though.

--------------
Kevin.

Bozeman MT / Winder GA.

Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2013, 1:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You can always start from smokemont campground.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2013, 1:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My avatar is actually a picture of Enloe creek from under the bridge.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2013, 2:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Hiker01 @ Dec. 05 2013, 11:26 am)
You can always start from smokemont campground.

I thought about that. We were at Smokemount four 4 days (Thanksgiving - Sunday) and did some day hiking up Bradley Fork to Chasteen Creek and then on to Site 48 just checking things out. It's always an option.

--------------
Kevin.

Bozeman MT / Winder GA.

Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2013, 2:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

chasteen creek-----a rocky, steep, but kinda short trail....once yer over that, it's basically all downhill to 47....

last year (and not sure if it's been replaced) there was a report of a bridge out that was on the enloe creek trail coming in from that way.....

so you may have a creek crossing to do if the bridge hasnt been replaced......

it's been too many years for me to remember where that bridge is, and how wide/deep the creek is at that point......

just outta curiousity---have you driven through big cove to get to straight fork before?
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2013, 4:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kevinumberger @ Dec. 05 2013, 12:46 pm)
just outta curiousity---have you driven through big cove to get to straight fork before?

On our way back to GA on the 31st, we took a drive on Big Cove Road and drove as far as Bunches Creek Road. We turned around there. We didn't have the time to continue on further.

--------------
Kevin.

Bozeman MT / Winder GA.

Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2013, 5:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

hmmmmm...

ok....had to look up bunches creek road, but from what im seeing on google maps (i usually drive it by 'sight' everytime im down there), and from my memory, the road that will run into straight fork is right after that...

the key is that most people, especially when they see the road, think there isn't another road back there---which will become straight fork road.....

it's a small, gravel road, with a fish hatchery on the right side......

most people just think that this is a driveway for the fish hatchery----which it is but its also straight fork road....

so, with hatchery on right side, follow this road a touch, and you'll run into the either closed or open gate and there should be a GSMNP sign there...

and now yer on straight fork road.......just after the gate, to the left on a slight bump of a hill---there's is one of the cemeteries right there.....

hope that makes some sense.....
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2013, 5:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Perfect sense Kevin. I am aware of the Hatchery. The Fly shop manager explained all of that to me, so it should be a no brainer. Once we set into a nice weather pattern, I'll probably make a trip in there. Since I'll be fishing, I need to try and do the trip in a bit of warmer weather than I had over Thanksgiving Holiday.

--------------
Kevin.

Bozeman MT / Winder GA.

Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2013, 5:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

yeah.....heard from a few friends that were in the smokies and joyce kilmer that it was a cold one last week....

myself, i was up in maryland where it was kinda nice and warm.....warm enough that i did both my mom's and dad's leaves...

anyways.....good......then you shouldnt have any problems with the road.........most people see the hatchery and think theres no road beyond that...

and sadly,----if the road were still open, this is where heinatooga balsam mountain road dumps ya out as well, and once someone has driven that road, it will all make sense....
16 replies since Dec. 03 2013, 8:41 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply GSMNP.... Enloe Creek Camp Site #47
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions