2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Tennessee's Virgin Falls State Natural Area, Dedication Event< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Bass Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2013, 7:18 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tennessee's Virgin Falls and hiking trail, privately owned until now, have become a State Natural Area. The 1,551 acres, including Virgin Falls, Sheep Cave Falls, Big Laurel Falls and Big Branch Falls were privately owned and subject to private development pressures.

The public is invited to a dedication of Virgin Falls State Natural Area to be held at 9:30 a.m. tomorrow, by Tennessee Parks and Greenways Foundation. Tennessee Parks and Greenways Foundation aided in raising funds for the purchase.

Virgin Falls Dedication

Gov. Bill Haslam is scheduled to be in Middle Tennessee on Wednesday to dedicate the purchase of Virgin Falls State Natural Area.

The Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation purchased the 1,551-acre tract in White County last year. Before that, the land was in private ownership, but managed by the state as a public natural area for almost 40 years.

Working closely with the state in the purchase of Virgin Falls was the Tennessee Parks and Greenways Foundation, the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency, and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Private money also was donated to the cause.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
kevinumberger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2013, 9:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

sweet.......

hopefully we (wbir) can get some footage from the nashville stations on this going down....

i doubt that we'll send someone over......
 Post Number: 3
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2013, 12:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Guess it doesn't matter much, but I'd like to measure those falls. The article says 110', and I've seen it listed as 120', while I think it could even be a bit more than that(after rapping it with a 150' rope).
Spectacular, either way, and the whole hike is wonderful, IMO. Shame the article doesn't have a pic!
 Post Number: 4
markweth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2013, 9:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great news. That area is without a doubt one of the most marvelous natural areas in eastern North America. I've only been once but would love to go back again.

Nice picture . . . looks like we caught it at similar flows. Here's a picture from my visit, my friend is in the bottom right corner for scale:

--------------
Mostly Southeastern Outdoor Scenery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mvweth
 Post Number: 5
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2013, 11:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

ooo, my turn.

here she is at flood stage:

--------------
/\ /\/\ / \   / \
/\/ \ / \ /\ / \-^/ \^. /\
/ \ \ \/ \ \ / \ \ / \ /\
\  \  \ \ / \/ / \
\ / \
 Post Number: 6
markweth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2013, 11:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Gadzooks! Holy raging waterfall, Batman!

That is incredible. What were the creek crossings like getting there? Any pictures of Big Laurel Falls or Sheep Cave Falls at those water levels?

--------------
Mostly Southeastern Outdoor Scenery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mvweth
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2013, 1:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i had to bump some older photos from my online folders... that's why i posted the video instead of photos. i'll see if i can dig them from my hard drive when i get home. i did not get a lot of photos on my way out that day because it was a constant unforgiving rain. i know i have a photo of the cable crossing... i was posted up there for a moment trying to decide if i was gonna brave it, or not.

--------------
/\ /\/\ / \   / \
\  \  \ \ / \/ / \
\ / \
 Post Number: 8
3-gun. Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2013, 1:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Did this hike the Weekend after Thanksgiving. Great place to go, water and falls were all flowing well.
Spent Friday,Saturday and Sunday night.
After hunting season i'll check out the WMA.

--------------
"But the new Admin. is a Master in IDPA"
"MASTER in IDPA..."
"is like C Class in IPSC!"
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2013, 1:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

hey Mark, here's a blog i did on that hike. the water was already high on my way in. and then it proceeded to rain all night and the next day. so, some of these photos are before the deluge, some after.

https://sites.google.com/site....-gushin

--------------
/\ /\/\ / \   / \
\  \  \ \ / \/ / \
\ / \
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2013, 3:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can see what the cable crossing is for now!

Oh, I was looking at your Honey Creek Loop report on your blog. Going back up to BSF next week, and might do it on the way in, though I'm specifically going to check out the KY side.
Don't know what to expect as far as water flow compared to this time last year, but am definitely expecting ice with the Oneida forecast calling for 16F Monday night :)
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2013, 5:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

have fun, man. Honey Creek might be my favorite, especially with the water up. there's a pretty good stretch where you're in and out of the creek going up a box canyon (or as close as a eastern gulch can get to a box canyon)... fun stuff

--------------
/\ /\/\ / \   / \
\  \  \ \ / \/ / \
\ / \
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2013, 8:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Absolutely! I did it last December, and loved it.
11 replies since Dec. 10 2013, 7:18 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Tennessee's Virgin Falls State Natural Area
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions