2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Magicmomma-Still Alive and Now A Pirate!, Recovering< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
magicmomma Search for posts by this member.
Wildest Flower in Tennessee

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2014, 10:30 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks to Smokehiker and Delynn for their thoughts and prayers.   I heard from Gary today and decided to pipe up.
I'm recovering from a disease called Miller Fisher Syndrome or Miller Fisher Variant.   It is a form of Gullain-Barre syndrome. I had a mycoplasma respiratory infection in Nov. before thanksgiving. That is likely what did this. It is a rare disease and essentially what happens is that the original infectious agent. whether treated or untreated... triggers a response in the immune system. It develops into an auto immune disease where the body attacks itself.  Miller Fisher syndrome effects primarily eyes, ears and balance and the tendon reflexes.  I had double vision that came on like a thunderclap.  I then lost my balance and developed vertigo. I lost all the reflexes in my tendons. My respiratory drive was very shallow and I had a poor cough reflex.  I was hospitalized for three days. Treated for sinus infection with antibiotic and iv prednisone.   Ive been through the Million dollar workup. Tested for everything known to man. Finally reach this conclusion and the good news is that this is going to be ok. I will fully recover.  I am on my way to better. I am making the best of wearing the eye patch and scaring people. You know me.  I went to church Sunday all dressed up with my makes up on my face and I did my hurr.... I went out to lunch with the fam. and several members of Rocky Branch Missionary Baptist. My son in law said Mombo, you look really bad ass with your skirt and your cowgirl boots and your eye patch. I told him was a killer and not to forget it.  :laugh:  I have experienced God's grace upon me in a very real way.  It is making me stronger than pig iron. Increasing my faith and trust.  Keep a good though for this ole gal and if you're a Christian... send up a prayer for me. For it is working! this have Been Magicmomma comin' to you live from the Road to Recovery!

--------------
"But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed."~~Isaiah 53:5
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2014, 10:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So glad you're doing better. Wish I'd have known; I would have been praying for you all along.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2014, 11:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am just now getting to where I feel good enough to be on the computer. Last few days.   I should have asked Jared or Kenny to put a notice on here for my friends.   Its quite alright! The Lord doesn't view time as we do and git crackin  on it now and I'll be better faster! Thanks Owen for being a wonderful friend.

--------------
"But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed."~~Isaiah 53:5
 Post Number: 4
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 25 2014, 8:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Holy guacamole, girl. Glad you are doing better. And yeah, we need to know earlier next time. Dang.
We'll be praying for even more recovery.
Arggggggh!

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 5
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 25 2014, 9:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow....the trials one goes through.  I missed you, and Delynn too.  It's good to see you post.

My wife is suffering from a respiratory illness yet to be identified as well.  She's a smoker and of course that's got nothing to do with it right?  

She's had a persistent cough for about 6 months now and been through several rounds of meds, couple of chest xrays and several doctor visits.  She'll quit smoking for a week or so and get a lot better and then relapse so the cough gets worse.  I don't see a happy ending to her situation if she can't put the darn smokes down for good and cast out her tobacco demon.

Needless to say our trail time hasn't been very high and we've only been out once sense November.....very unusual for us.  Part of it's the weather patterns as for several weekends in a row in the late fall, it's been rainy and wet....now it's just darn cold.

I do hope your recovery continues and your back to normal soon.

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2014, 9:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks Randy and gunslinger.  I appreciate that.  Gunslinger I pray your wife lays those cigarettes down and recovers fully.  I can never and will never take another flu vaccine having had this ailment.  I found out that NO ONE in my neurologist's office takes a flu vaccine!  They have added that nasty H1N1 (Swine flu vaccine) in with the regular flu vax.  The flu shot carries more risk than you think.  I have always taken them. I got this years in Sept. It is a stretch for me to think it caused problems months later, but it is possible.   What is more scary is that the neurologist and his staff are terrified of flu shots.  I have heard of a number of Gullain-Barre cases that were only days after getting a flu vaccine.  Take heed of it and consider well before getting one.

--------------
 Post Number: 7
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2014, 6:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The last flu shot I had was forced on me by uncle sugar....I was in Basic Combat Training, January 1976....I was given a swine flu shot.....a few days later I fell ill and spent 7 days in the hospital with the swine flu.  I ran a high fever for about a week and I thought I was going to die...

I haven't taken another flu shot and probably won't.

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 8
markweth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2014, 9:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So sorry to hear about your health issues but glad you are on the trail to recovery. Hope you can get out in spring and fully enjoy the wildflowers . . . I'd wondered where you'd been, both on this forum and on Flickr.

Best wishes and happy hiking.

--------------
Mostly Southeastern Outdoor Scenery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mvweth
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2014, 9:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Gunslinger, there you go.. you just proved my pernt! Sorry you had that experience but glad you made it!  That had to be awful.  Mark, thanks.  I appreciate that.    I go back to the neurologist today to see what he has to say about me.  I doubt he will even consider treating me with IV immunoglobulin seeing as how I am mending naturally, but that and plasmapheresis and prednisone are options to get the Anti GQ1B antibodies out of me..  
Liken my immune system attacking my own brain cells to a sniper in a clock tower picking off only certain kinds of targets..  certain brain cells. As opposed to a homicidal maniac in a tower with a rocket launcher hollering kill 'em all... let God sort it out!  that would be like a stroke.  

yes, very glad I did not have a stroke.  And very glad if this was going to happen that it took place now instead of during Spring!

--------------
 Post Number: 10
pastywhite Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 03 2014, 10:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I haven't been around much lately either...but not for any health reasons. Glad you are on the mend. Maybe you'll be up and about by wildflower season!
 Post Number: 11
theo Search for posts by this member.
Error 420

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 03 2014, 10:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One of the first things my Rheumatologist told me was to quit taking the flu shot. I figured I'd humor the quack and quit taking them. You know, my knees and hips don't hurt near like they used to.

Are you still doing the hillbilly pirate thing or are your eyes getting better?
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 03 2014, 10:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi Theo! I am getting better! My patch is off.  What is directly before me is now a normal visual field.  Five feet away and beyond still kinda swims before me at times.... I see distorted images but at least it grows better day by day.  I am able to drive. Mostly with the eye patched.    I am still having some abnormal movements in the right eye now and then and some restricted movement in it.
Its called gaze palsy.  But that is getting better.  My balance is better. Got out to see some waterfalls on Saturday. It was marvelous.   I  am trying to figure out with my boss how I can come back to work in some capacity.  We will see how that goes.   I posted about it on my Cumberland Gal blog.  I won't put that here. It is very personal. Hard to write. I sat down and cried.  My pastor said it would be really good for me to write the experience down.  So I did.  I hope it helps someone along the way.  Don't read it if you are offended by Christianity.

--------------
 Post Number: 13
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2014, 10:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Glad you're getting better. Will pray for your recovery.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2014, 1:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thank you oldnolder.  I appreciate that. It will take it! :-)

--------------
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2014, 1:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

**Update** I'm OVER IT NOW!  I'm driving. I'm back at work. I was anointed at the Pentecostal church and prayed over the 2nd time last Sunday.   The PH church at Southside was my former church. They'd been praying for me.  I was there visiting.  Pastor Phillip laid hands on me and anointed me. Monday my vision took a big leap forward.  It has improved. The Lord is fixing me, but more than I've said here... .. It is a work and a change in my approach to life that had to be made. A change in priorities.  If you have a need take it to the Lord and he will make it right.  Thank you Lord! Thanks for good friends who care also.  :D

--------------
14 replies since Jan. 24 2014, 10:30 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Magicmomma-Still Alive and Now A Pirate!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions