2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Backpacking in KY, Loop or Circuit Hikes in Deep Woods< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
kevinquinlan Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2014, 8:23 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Any suggestions for rugged & remote loop or circuit hikes (12-20 miles) in the state of Kentucky?  Thanks!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Ewker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2014, 8:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

you might want to check out the Pine Mountain Trail in eastern Ky

http://www.pinemountaintrail.com/trail-information
 Post Number: 3
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2014, 9:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Red River Gorge, Daniel Boone National Forest.  Cumberland area.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." áSteve McQueen
 Post Number: 4
kevinquinlan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2014, 9:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thank you, Ol-Zeke & Ewker!  This is helpful.  I've been doing research on the old WWW.  A little scattershot.  
KQ
 Post Number: 5
Ewker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2014, 10:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sheltowee Trace also  http://www.sheltoweetrace.org/
 Post Number: 6
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2014, 6:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sheltowee Trace is a linear trail.

Red River Gorge is very rugged (and very scenic) and loops are possible, but it's also very popular and therefore not very remote (if your definition of "remote" is getting away from people). The Clifty Wilderness section is perhaps not as heavily used, but some road walking would be needed for a loop.

Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area is south of RRG, stretching from Kentucky into Tennessee. There are many long loop possibilities there.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 7
markweth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2014, 9:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Drift Woody @ Mar. 19 2014, 6:43 am)
Sheltowee Trace is a linear trail.

Red River Gorge is very rugged (and very scenic) and loops are possible, but it's also very popular and therefore not very remote (if your definition of "remote" is getting away from people). The Clifty Wilderness section is perhaps not as heavily used, but some road walking would be needed for a loop.

Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area is south of RRG, stretching from Kentucky into Tennessee. There are many long loop possibilities there.

Great advice, I'll add a few things though . . .

The Sheltowee Trace is a linear trail, but you can combine it with other trails to make a loop in certain places (the 11-mile partial loop that starts at the Hwy. 192 ST parking area that goes by Van Hook Falls, then follows Cane Creek to the Rockcastle River and loops back to the falls is probably my favorite). There are also a few shuttle services than can drop you off and then you hike back to your vehicle, which makes doing a section hike of the ST possible.

I would avoid the RRG on weekends if you're looking for solitude. During the week you could have miles of trail and campsites to yourself, and there are several nice loops possible. I'd recommend picking up the book "Hinterlands" that details the unmarked trails, because when combining the unmarked trails with the official trails you can hike some great routes.

Big South Fork NRRA is probably your best bet for solitude, big loops and a remote feeling. Amazing area . . . one of the most incredible parcels of public land on the Cumberland Plateau without a doubt.

Also, you might want to check out www.kywilderness.com and ask on their forum, as well as browse past trip reports from backpackers in the state.

Happy hiking, and I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have. I've done most of my backpacking in Kentucky and I'd be happy to give you more details once you focus in on where you want to go.

--------------
Mostly Southeastern Outdoor Scenery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mvweth
 Post Number: 8
bennypapa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2014, 4:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

You might try some of the wilderness areas. Beaver creek wilderness is cool. There is a stand of old growth timber off the side of one trail.
If the gorge is too crowded the Clifty is right next door.

Ill second the suggestion to get in touch with the Sheltowee folks. They do weekend trips and see some remote areas.
7 replies since Mar. 18 2014, 8:23 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Backpacking in KY
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions