2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Trip coming up April 18-20 (Big Creek area), Wildflowers in Smoky Mountains< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
DerrickL Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 23 2014, 7:43 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hello everyone,  I have a camping trip coming up with my wife on April 18-20.  We will be hiking up Big Creek and staying at Lower Walnut Bottoms on the first night and then going over to campsite 35 on the Lower Mount Cammerer trail for the second night and then on out to the Ranger Station.  We were wondering how the wildflower season was shaping up in that area of the park?  Is it looking like an early bloom with all the crazy weather this year or is that going to push it out to later May?  Will we be to early to see much?  Thanks for any thoughts.

--------------
Life itself was in him, and this life gives light to everyone. The light shines through through the darkness, and the darkness can never extinguish it.
John 1:4-5
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2014, 9:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

hey Derrick.  i haven't gotten out much at all this year. but, anecdotally it seems things have been late so far, at least over here in Middle Tenn.

here's a good place to check for updates:
http://smokiesinformation.org/nature-wildlife/wildflower-updates/

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2014, 10:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks so much for the link.  That is exactly what what I was looking for!

--------------
Life itself was in him, and this life gives light to everyone. The light shines through through the darkness, and the darkness can never extinguish it.
 Post Number: 4
Ewker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 25 2014, 11:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I got this today from the GSMNP:

A hard freeze is predicted tonight, with temperatures forecast to drop to the upper teens in the foothills. What will this do to the wildflowers that are blooming now? Spring has been slow to get started in the mountains and temperatures have been on the cool side, so the wildflower season is about two weeks behind “normal” this year. We’re still seeing mainly the earliest-blooming species such as hepatica, bloodroot, spring beauties, trailing arbutus, and some early violets. These hardy, little plants are adapted to changeable springtime temperatures. They also grow low to the ground, where the moist earth buffers the extremes of temperature. Some of the spring wildflowers may look “frost burned” after tonight’s frigid temperatures, but they will survive to flower again next year.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2014, 1:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh well, we may be a good bit early to catch much of the show :/   I still cant wait to get out there!

--------------
 Post Number: 6
pastywhite Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2014, 6:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Might be a little late but last weekend I was still seeing spring beauties, bloodroot and violets (this was before the freeze) but it has really greened up in the lower elevations in the last few days so I'm guessing you are hitting this at the perfect time.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2014, 4:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks!  We just got back and you are right it was beautiful!  There were trillium everywhere and several of the hillsides were blanketed.  Couldnt have asked for a much better trip.  Well maybe less mice at the walnut bottoms campsite....

--------------
 Post Number: 8
kevinumberger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2014, 5:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well maybe less mice at the walnut bottoms campsite....

ha....

that site is worse than any of the shelters in the park.....

but, it boils down to being a heavily used site.........

and with a site being used as much as it is, problems will tend to happen....
7 replies since Mar. 23 2014, 7:43 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Trip coming up April 18-20 (Big Creek area)
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions