2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Chattanooga< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
greened Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 29 2014, 9:37 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Spent some time around the Chattanooga area recently on a caving trip and actually got to spend a few hours in Chattanooga itself. I must say that I was a little surprised. I have always thought of Chattanooga as sort of an old and run down town. Of course this is a prejudice because I  had never really spent any real time there. Mostly passing through. This time though I was able to go into town for a quick gear grab and lunch. It seems to have really reinvented itself. Sort of a vibrant outdoorsy feel to it. In the next few years I will be looking to relocate to a place where wilderness areas, trail running, mtbing, etc are within arms reach and I think I may have found my town. Not looking for something quite as elitist as a Boulder or even Asheville (no offense intended). A place where it is ok to have a southern accent but has as many sushi/thai restaurants as BBQ joints. A place where you are just as likely to find a small batch IPA on the beer list as you are Bud Light. I know several of you live in the area and was wondering if you could give me the good, bad, and ugly of Chattanooga.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
22rimfan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 29 2014, 12:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Chattanooga isn't a bad place to live.  There are lots of activities and special events that go on throughout the year.  Chattanooga is a good place to live if you like to hike.  The Cumberland Trail ends/begins right across the river, there is the hiking at the Lookout Mountain Battlefield, and other areas on the mountain.  Also, you are about an hour away from the Cherokee National Forest and the Benton MacKaye Trail.  Chattanooga also has plenty of canoe options as well.  Mohawk Canoes is located in downtown and the offer whitewater and family canoes.  Not sure of their game plan when Royalex is no longer made.  I cannot weigh in on biking activities since that is not my interest, hopefully someone else could help there.  On the bad side, I would say that Chattanooga is just like any large town it has it's sides where you don't want to go after dark and it's crime but at least it is nothing like Memphis.  Hope this helps.
Aaron

--------------
My blog:
http://otrwcs.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 3
Bass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 30 2014, 9:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Chattanooga and the Chattanooga area is a GREAT place to live if you enjoy the outdoors - especially hiking and kayaking. The economy is great too - thanks to VW and lots of new employers that have located there.

I am very familiar with Asheville too. But recommend Chattanooga hands down as a place to live - and Asheville as a great pace to visit since it is only 3 hours away from Chattanooga. I LOVE VISITING western North Carolina, and have lots of hiking friends who live there. But I just can't say enough good things about the Chattanooga area as a place to live.

I live outside of Cookeville, TN and love the Chattanooga area though it is 90 miles from me. I have a good friend who is in the process of relocating from Austin, TX to Dunlap, TN ( just north of Chattanooga ). He and his gf also seriously considered Asheville and have many friends in Asheville who relocated from Texas too.

Chattanooga is VERY progressive. If you work online, the internet speed will interest you. See How Chattanooga beat Google Fiber by half a decade .

This is a good website: Chattanooga Fun
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 30 2014, 10:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am originally from the Atlanta area and currently live north of Montgomery so I totally get the situation of cities that have their seedy areas. I also work from home and travel a fair bit so I can live almost anywhere that is within a decent distance to a major airport. I don't mind the drive to ATL every now and then. I know that Cohutta/Big Frog isn't too far away along with BMT, tons of options on the Cumberland Plateau which is waaaay underrated IMO.

As far as the city itself, I was really impressed with the riverfront area and market street. Of course I was only there for a couple of hours but it had a really nice vibe. Hopefully I can get back up there this spring and maybe catch a Lookouts game, dinner and drinks in town, a nice hike, and spend the night to get a better feel.
 Post Number: 5
magicmomma Search for posts by this member.
Wildest Flower in Tennessee

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 30 2014, 7:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Happy to learn you enjoyed yourself and have discovered some nice things about a charming town.  I love Chattanooga and have enjoyed every trip there.
We have tried many many things there and still find things to explore and experience.  It is lovely.   They have done a ton of urban conservation. I hope Maryville will continue to renovate and conserve and revitalize our down town.
One thing I learned being from Va. and Staunton area....
in order to make a down town thrive you have to keep businesses relevant and OPEN during the times folks want to go frequent them.

Chattanooga and Asheville have both done this supremely!

--------------
"My progress was rendered delightful by the sylvan elegance of the groves, chearful meadows, and high distant forests, which in grand order presented themselves to view."~~William Bartram
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2014, 10:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

if we ever get out of Nashville, Chatty's also on my short list of closer-to-the-mountains cities. lots of boaters and climbers come out of that city it seems.

--------------
/\ /\/\ / \   / \
/\/ \ / \ /\ / \-^/ \^. /\
/ \ \ \/ \ \ / \ \ / \ /\
\  \  \ \ / \/ / \
\ / \
 Post Number: 7
rangersven Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2014, 2:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Neat town.  Great location.  Nice scenery.  I tried to get a transfer there in the '90s.  Really enjoyed the drive between Chat and Bryson City, NC.  Lots of great kayaking, too.

RS

--------------
"Backpacker.com's Original Provocateur."
 Post Number: 8
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2014, 9:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Love it. Chattanooga has just historically been such a crappy place to drive through that after decades of passing through, "we"(family) are prone to saying that we "hate Chattanooga". The town itself is fine, and the location is great.
Spent a few days there last week. Hiking at Cloudland Canyon on the way up, Savage Gulf a couple days later, after seeing the aquarium for the first time in years, bowling and going to the movies.
Ate out at Sticky Fingers and Big River Grille and Brewing Works.
One of my top choices of places to live in the South if I was moving. It's close to everything-the Smokies, hiking and biking on the Cumberland Plateau, rafting on the Ocoee...and I'd probably buy a boat if I moved there, too.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 11:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Already have the boat :)
 Post Number: 10
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 06 2014, 3:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's a great place to live and work.  I've been here 20 years now....

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
9 replies since Mar. 29 2014, 9:37 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Chattanooga
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions