2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: What's going on down here?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2014, 6:58 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

North Mississippi - tornado.  Torrential rain and tornado warnings all the way down into Louisiana on Monday the 14th.  38 and 35 F the first two nights in Breaux Bridge (near Lafayette/Baton Rouge).  I had to go into Pack and Paddle to buy a warm shirt.

Tomatos, crawfish, temperatures - everything running 3-4 weeks late this year.

Finally 70F today.

Headed back home/north tomorrow.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2014, 9:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I blame Bush/global warming

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 3
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2014, 10:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think you're making it up.  I've never heard of bush warming.

Apparently it wasn't cold enough to kill all of the salvinia and brussels sprouts.
 Post Number: 4
onepaddlejunkie Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2014, 12:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Weather got a little rough around here a few days ago.  I have two gear sheds.  One is full of backpacking and climbing gear.  The other is full of paddling gear and stuff I use for work.  The paddling/work gear shed looked like somebody lit off a grenade in it.  Had gear and equipment strewn all over the place.  The backpacking/climbing gear shed was pushed off its foundation but stayed in one piece.  Fortunately the paddling gear is designed to get wet so all I had to do was clean, dry and put it back in containers.  Some of the environmental test equipment I used at work didn't do so well.   My canoe/kayak rack didn't do so well either.  I was standing at the back door when I saw the rack loaded with 2 kayaks and 4 canoes head east rolling across the yard.  The boats were a little dented and scraped.  The rack was a wreck.  Everything is cleaned up but I'm one shed short of having a place to store everything.  My wife is not too happy that the back bedroom is a gear shed - again.  Oh - and had some lifted shingles on the shop.  I can do without any more big storms for a while.  The wife and I will be meeting friends at a local state park after church Sunday for a couple of days car camping, fishing and day hikes.  Not all bad at all.
 Post Number: 5
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2014, 1:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(reubenstump @ Apr. 18 2014, 10:03 pm)
I think you're making it up.  I've never heard of bush warming.

I knew it!

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 6
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2014, 6:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My water brother.  What's muscadine jelly like?  I would have bought some last week but they were sold out.  FYI garlic jelly is great.

This little 12 footer is still waiting for you.

Attached Image
Attached Image
 Post Number: 7
schlanky Search for posts by this member.
Lead singer, driver of the Winnebago

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2014, 8:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Now, that's one great photo.

--------------
Looking out the window
The trees are getting closer, it seems
 Post Number: 8
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2014, 8:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The drive down from MS wasn't as nice.  This is what it looked like pretty much all day when it wasn't blowing dogs off chains during huge downpours.

Attached Image
Attached Image
 Post Number: 9
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2014, 7:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The only problem we had yesterday was finding a place to park.

There were 20 cars parked at the Rough creek trail head in the Cohutta's......chamber of commerce weather.....

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 10
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2014, 8:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

First weekend of natural bait trout season wasn't it?  The locals are cleaning out the rivers.  Can't blame them.  That's the best tastin' fish in the world.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 11
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2014, 7:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok, I didn't know that....but I did see several fishing...makes sense...

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 12
CajunHiker Search for posts by this member.
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2014, 1:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

LOVE the gator pic!

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
 Post Number: 13
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2014, 8:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Everyone OK after last night?  I think theo and a couple of others live over in Arkansas.
 Post Number: 14
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2014, 9:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The stronger storms haven't gotten here, yet, but it looked like two rivers on either side of my yard, and a class II rapid in the street in front of my house for a little while yesterday afternoon.
Think I'll stay in tomorrow to start my "weekend"(forecasting severe storms, large hail), but that should have the waterfalls cranking Wed-Thurs. and I may just have to get wet on Wednesday :)
 Post Number: 15
starwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2014, 11:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Oklahoma storm was 100 miles north of us in Quapaw as is Baxter Springs, Kansas.

--------------
"Straight paths made by man
Are unnatural and full of curses
But a trail is a song."

Louis Oliver (Creek Indian poet)
"Songs on Winding Trails"
in Chasers of the Sun
 Post Number: 16
theo Search for posts by this member.
Error 420

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2014, 8:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(reubenstump @ Apr. 28 2014, 7:08 am)
Everyone OK after last night?  I think theo and a couple of others live over in Arkansas.

The storms went through just north of me. Just rain and a lot of thunder.

And no, I don't live in Arkansas. I live in Texas. For some reason Cajun seems to think I live in Arkansas and so that's what she tells everyone. I do live in Texarkana and have to buy my beer in Arkansas.  :D
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2014, 12:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We've got tornado/s. Just got to work, and there's one, with two possibles about 30 miles SW of here moving NE at 35mph. We're dead center in the warning area, so it could get interesting around here in a little while.
I love it when the weather guy gets excited, and goes from warning people to take cover to babbling(almost gleefully) about the debris signature, and how impressive the rotation is.
 Post Number: 18
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2014, 7:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Arkansas, Texas...  It all looks the same from Louisiana.   :D

We're getting your leftovers for the next few days, but only rain thank goodness.

I see Tupelo was hit.  I don't know anyone there but have been in the area a few times.

Stay safe down there!
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2014, 1:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

These aren't my pics, but I thought they were pretty cool.

This one from Bessemer looking toward Birmingham from a guy who lives in Hoover.

If you're familiar with Little River Falls, these were shared by my cousin's husband-they live a couple miles from the falls.

I know what a 9-10,000cfs whitewater release is like on the Coosa at Wetumpka(which also hit close to 100,000 earlier this year), but it's hard to imagine that kind of flow on Little River.
 Post Number: 20
schlanky Search for posts by this member.
Lead singer, driver of the Winnebago

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2014, 9:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow. That Little River pic is just crazy.

I live in Hoover and looking back north toward downtown, the amount of lightning was just unbelievable.

--------------
Looking out the window
The trees are getting closer, it seems
19 replies since Apr. 18 2014, 6:58 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply What's going on down here?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions