2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Headed to SC/NC again., Near Brevard, Hendersonville< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2014, 1:06 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Haven't planned much. Another family trip for a night in Gatlinburg, then 3-4 near the SC/NC border snuck up on me. I think they're staying in Hendersonville instead of Devil's Fork SP this time.

Figuring an overnight on the Foothills Trail from Laurel Valley Access to Table Rock, a night with the family, then Panthertown for a night or two.

Kind of short notice, since I leave on Monday, but last year, I got some good suggestions, and had some fun dayhikes:
-Pinnacle Mtn trail to Mill Creek Falls spur after driving up
-6hr off-trail hike to the bottom of Whitewater Falls and explored all over one side of the gorge
-Rim of the Gap trail from Caesar's Head SP to Jones Gap SP
-Grassy Creek and Wintergreen Falls at DuPont State
-another dayhike that I thought was going to be to the Green River Narrows, but was on the wrong trail.
-quick trip with lots of unnecessary bushwhacking at Panthertown Valley

Had a blast, but I don't want to bounce(or drive!) around as much this time around.

I'm good to go with plan A, but if there's something that beats out an overnight on that stretch of the Foothill Trail, or with more waterfalls than Panthertown(does such a place exist?), I'm all ears! :)
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2014, 6:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There's a new map for Panthertown that came out last summer with some really excellent detail that didn't exist before. I did a 15 mile day hike out there week before last and didn't see another soul. Don't know which waterfalls you saw, but there are plenty to see.

But if you're going to be in Brevard, I'd suggest you spend all your time at Graveyard Fields/Shining Rock/Middle Prong Wilderness. How many miles are you looking to do?
 Post Number: 3
retired reddog Search for posts by this member.
"I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2014, 10:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HighGravity @ May 03 2014, 6:39 pm)
But if you're going to be in Brevard, I'd suggest you spend all your time at Graveyard Fields/Shining Rock/Middle Prong Wilderness. How many miles are you looking to do?

+1

--------------
Good night Chesty, where ever you are!-(It's a Marine thing.)

“The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle!”
General John Pershing, United States Army
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2014, 12:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Had to confer with the trip coordinator/Queen of the Highway, and there've been changes. While I may head over from Gatlinburg on Tuesday, my parents won't get into NC until mid-Wednesday, and that's my shuttle service. If I overnight Tuesday(maybe Panthertown then?), I could be out in the evening, stage my car and hang out with them Wednesday night.
I would then have all day Thursday and Friday, but need to have very few miles Saturday, since I have to drive back to AL then work all night. So two full days, and wanting time to play and take pictures. I would think no more than 25 miles if there's a lot of elevation gain. I've only heard the name Shining Rock-what's it like?
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2014, 12:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Like this:

Summit is covered in quartz.

If I was you I'd park here: https://goo.gl/maps/tiGzS

Take the Moutains to Sea Trail south to Grave Yard Fields trail to Art Loeb trail to Shining Rock to Ivestor Trail to Sam Knob Trail to Little Sam Knob trail back to Mountains to Sea trail and back to your car.

Check out this map for more specifics: http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs....ail-map

That loop will be one of the best of your life. You can hit five waterfalls, five peaks over 6000', and have open vistas for much of the hike.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2014, 12:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That sounds great! I'm at work on my phone, so will have to check out the map tomorrow. What's the mileage on that loop? Thanks!
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2014, 7:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

btw, how high am I likely to be camping on that loop?
Got a brand new 50F quilt I want to try out, and the temps are supposed to be 50s and 70s, but if it's going to be windy and 20F colder than the local forecasts, playing with the new toy can wait another week.
Guess I could also take the innernet back out of my TT Notch, too...
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2014, 9:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think that's right around 25 miles and you'll be between 4500-6000 feet the whole time.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2014, 10:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Perfect, thank you! Saw the map at a local outdoor store, recently, and will pick it up on the way home from church.
I just remembered mountainforecast.com, and it's going to be ~55F for the lows at elevation, and 60s lower down, so the new quilt is a go :)

While I'm peppering you with questions, what about water? Will I need to carry extra either day?
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2014, 10:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There's lots of water along the first section of the Mountains to Sea trail up through Grave Yard Fields, then as you head up toward the Art Loeb it's scarce until you get to Shining Rock where there is a spring. Then it's scarce again until you get back down toward Sam Knob. At the bottom of Sam Knob is Flat Laurel Creek.  I camp in that area a lot and haven't felt the need to take more than a quart for years. Back during the drought season a few years ago, I'd take three quarts but not in recent years.  And if it turns out I've got the mileage wrong, there are plenty of options for altering your course to make it longer or shorter.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2014, 3:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I see what you mean about not being sure of the mileage. Guess I could get a string and work it out, but 25 sounds close enough.
Thanks again for the help!
10 replies since May 03 2014, 1:06 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Headed to SC/NC again.
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions