2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Bonas Defeat Gorge, New Panthertown Map< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2014, 11:59 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So last summer a great new map of Panthertown was printed. On the back of the map are several suggested day hikes, one of which is through the Bonas Defeat Gorge which looks amazing and sounds amazing.

On the map there are directions on where to park and how to go around a gate to the trail head. So the other day I went down there to check it out but saw a large sign that said, "Smile. If you trespass on this property you and your car will be photographed." So I turned around and left and did some more research to see if I needed permission to be there. Then I came across this online:

7-30-12 - I just received an email with the following info. It is most important that you don't enter the gorge for any reason or at any time in the foreseeable future - you could die!

Beginning August 1, 2012, Duke Energy will start lowering Wolf Creek and Tanasee Creek Lakes to allow for the installation of a minimum flow valve in Wolf Lake that will provide additional downstream flow for aquatic habitat. Wolf Creek Lake will be lowered 50 feet from full pond and Tanasee Creek will be lowered to 21 ft from full pond to 79 feet and then allowed to spill water through the gate into the bypass reach known as Bonas Defeat. The normal target elevation for both throughout the summer is 7 feet below full. The access boat ramp on Wolf Creek Lake is expected to be unusable after August 7. The canoe / kayak access on Tanasee Creek Lake will be closed during the project’s duration for safety reasons.

http://www.ncwaterfalls.com/bonas1.htm

So if you happen to come across this map, be forewarned.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
magicmomma Search for posts by this member.
Wildest Flower in Tennessee

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2014, 6:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have done this trip. It was amazing.  I am happier than ever that I've already done it.  I was asked last Summer to go do it again by a fellow who passed away a month or so later.  R.I.P. Craig.  I had read all this info and shared it with him. I was concerned about him and got a vibe about him and his choices. I won't say more because I don't want to harm anyone. He is gone and there is nothing for it now.  Anyway... when we did this trip we had optimal LOW water levels.  The water levels were low and HAD BEEN LOW for awhile.  The likelihood of a water release was slim to none.   I would do it again, but only under the right conditions and not alone.  Right now the water levels would be guess your best. The risk with the work on the dam is quite a bit more.   The gates are controlled remotely from Charlotte NC.  This is high in the mountains.  You aren't supposed to be there to begin with.  They can't see you and can't help you if they pull the gates for a water release.    American Whitewater deemed this stretch of the river un-runnable the last time they did a test release.   Sorry you made that trip and  it bombed out on you. Thanks for a good warning though.

--------------
"My progress was rendered delightful by the sylvan elegance of the groves, chearful meadows, and high distant forests, which in grand order presented themselves to view."~~William Bartram
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2014, 6:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Actually I did 15 miles earlier in the day and was swinging by there afterward to check this out so it was still a good day. Thanks.
 Post Number: 4
magicmomma Search for posts by this member.
Wildest Flower in Tennessee

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2014, 6:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm sure glad to learn that!  There is so much to see and do in Western NC. There's always a good backup plan.  I go with plans A, B, C, D, E and F.
I am not as keen to do stuff that is trespassing or inordinately risky there when there is so much else I could do. I have got a never ending list of fun stuff for that area.

--------------
"My progress was rendered delightful by the sylvan elegance of the groves, chearful meadows, and high distant forests, which in grand order presented themselves to view."~~William Bartram
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
kevinumberger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 05 2014, 10:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Who put out this new map?

I've got the one Burt did but that was a few years ago....

Wonderin how different this one would be?
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2014, 8:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

He did this one too but it's waterproof and it's quite a bit different. A lot of trails on this one that are not on the other one.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2014, 3:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i have burt's one copyright 2009 and its waterproof-----has he done a more recent one?
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2014, 9:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Maybe it's been out longer than I thought. I'd been using a paper non-waterproof one for years because it was the only one out when I bought it. The one I'm talking about mentions Bonas Defeat on the backside.  I thought I read that this one came out in 2013 but it could have been earlier.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2014, 10:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I went ahead and emailed him and below is the response...

Once I get some extra funds, I'm gonna get it to compare...

Kevin,
       The new map corrects errors in the old one, shows some new footpaths, IDs new waterfalls and overlooks and natural features.  I think it's a better product.
Burt

"A man sits as many risks as he runs."   Henry David Thoreau

On May 6, 2014, at 3:52 PM, Kevin Umberger wrote:

> hey burt...
>
> i have a quick question for ya---- i have one of your map of panthertown that's copywrited 2009......noticed on your website that there is a new map----how different is the new map compared to the one i have?
8 replies since May 04 2014, 11:59 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Bonas Defeat Gorge
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions