2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Blue Ridge Parkway back open, Near Mt. Mitchell< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2014, 9:01 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Crack has finally been repaired.

http://t.co/lRZCsI787M
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 05 2014, 8:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice. Can't wait to get up there. I need to do some new backpacking trips up there. Any suggestions? I've only been on shinning rock and looking glass.
 Post Number: 3
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2014, 8:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well those are both a pretty good ways from this area. There are lots of great trails around Mt. Mitchell. The Mountains to Sea trail goes through there. There's Craggy Gardens and Snake Ridge Den that are worth hiking though as well.
 Post Number: 4
Tipi Walter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2014, 8:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is sad news for those of us wanting peace and quiet in the outdoors.  Why?  Because roaring and screaming motorcycles have taken over the "nature loops", parkways, skyways and so-called "scenic routes".

--------------
http://trailjournals.com/TipiWalter11

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/
 Post Number: 5
markweth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2014, 10:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tipi Walter @ May 06 2014, 8:12 am)
This is sad news for those of us wanting peace and quiet in the outdoors.  Why?  Because roaring and screaming motorcycles have taken over the "nature loops", parkways, skyways and so-called "scenic routes".

I couldn't agree more.

Another irritant to me is the cell phone towers that have increasingly popped up on the horizon over the last 5+ years at overlooks along the Cumberland Plateau where you used to be able to stargaze at night without seeing any artificial light other than the occasional passing plane.

--------------
Mostly Southeastern Outdoor Scenery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mvweth
 Post Number: 6
Doggone/GA Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2014, 3:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Another irritant to me is the cell phone towers that have increasingly popped up on the horizon over the last 5+ years at overlooks along the Cumberland Plateau where you used to be able to stargaze at night without seeing any artificial light other than the occasional passing plane."

Given the increasing dependence on cell phones...well, you can't have your cake and eat it too.  The choices are pretty stark: either more towers because they aren't on high enough ground to reach far, or towers on the highest ground around.

But since they are a necessary "evil" the companies could, at least, disguise them:

http://waynesword.palomar.edu/faketree.htm
5 replies since May 04 2014, 9:01 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Blue Ridge Parkway back open
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions