2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Cohutta/big frog, Suggest me a route< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
kevinumberger Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 9:51 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Alrighty....

Suggest me a route---3 days, 2 nights, maybe 8 to ten miles on first two days, something shorter the third day.....one car....
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 11:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Start at Hickory Creeks western end.  At the junction with the Conasauga river trail, go upstream.  At Panther Creek trail,well there's only one way to go: up.  Prepare yourself.  Last time I went everyone cussed me for taking them up that trail.  But the whole route is easier this way.  Panther Creek trail ends at East Cowpen trail.  Turn left(NW).  Don't miss the hairpin turn at Hickory Ridge trail or you end up at the Jack's river.  East Cowpen ends at a parking area.  Here you go left and find the other end of Hickory Creek trail which goes back to the Conasauga River and back to the parking area.

That's a 21 mile loop with only 2 river crossings and only 5 miles of sustained uphill.

If you want two more crossings and about 7 more miles: Proceed on at the East Cowpen/Hickory Ridge junction to the Jacks Rivertrail(and river).  Head downstream along the river to Rice Camp trail.  Rice camp only goes one way: back to the same trailhead as East Cowpen and Hickory Ridge trails.  Only 8 miles of sustained uphill.

The Conasauga crossings are very close together in a wide shallow area.  Even with a good thunderstorm they should be no trouble.  The Jacks cossings can be a bit more trouble.  If the Jacks is raging at your upstream crossing is will be dangerous downstream.  Head back up Hickory Ridge looking for an old, abandoned roadbed-like trail to your right maybe a mile from the river.  This will take you over to Rice Camp trail.

Have you got this?
http://www.sherpaguides.com/georgia....ss.html

When you going?

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 3
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2014, 10:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

in Big Frog i've done a loop out of the trailhead just above the Ocoee --  Big Frog Tr to Grassy Gap Tr to Wolf Ridge Tr to Big Frog summit, and down Big Frog Tr. the highlight was definitely the upper section of Big Frog with some heathy sections that offer a bit of summer views of the next ridge over. Grassy Gap was an overgrown spidery nightmare (it was August). i might've been the only soul to hike that trail in months. i tried to cut up Big Creek Tr just to get away from Grassy Gap but i never actually found the intersection. there are some nice campsites at the summit.

at Cohutta ive done Rice Camp (nice trail) down to the Jacks, up to Jacks Falls (lots of nice campsites on the Jacks, but it's a very popular area), up Hickory Ridge (non-distinct except for the lone gravesite) and down the north end of Cowpen. the highlight was definitely Jacks River Falls, and both Rice Camp and Jacks River were very pretty trails. there were even some healthy lookin hemlocks along the way.

be sure you pick TDale's and others brains about trailheads before you take the plunge on a Cohutta route... lots of out of the way and iffy dirt roads including some river fords. i think we used the Cisco Access and i would've been a little nervous driving my sedan through that ford.

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2014, 11:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

oh, i'd meant to mention that for some reason the Jacks is slippery as all get-out. all three of us nearly busted several times trying to cross.

--------------
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2014, 11:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

ash, the Conasauga is the same way.  Most of the crossings are in shallower water allowing sunlight to nurture algae on the rocks.  Been in the river a couple of times.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2014, 1:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

cool...........thanks for the info....

i have the tim homan book---well, from the library i have a copy...........my copy got waterlogged last weekend after i swamped the canoe trying to get away from the bush that had a bees nest in it..........but thanks for that link........

think im going to go over the july 4th weekend......hopefully it wont be too crowded down there...

as for camping spots----i think i heard that right above panther falls is a nice spot----how bout on the rest of the route?
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2014, 2:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The top of the falls is a great site.  Very popular and a great first night stop.  If it's too crowded, go on up the trail a little farther., there's another good site.  Remember to go sit in the middle of the falls.  It's one of only two open vistas in the entire wilderness.

Also remember to take a day's worth of water with you when you leave there.  It's scarce until you get to either Hickory Creek or Jacks River depending on which route you choose.

There's plenty of campsites but where you should probably end up is at the first sites on Hickory Creek.  Probably a mile from the trailhead, there's three sites tucked inbetween a small stream and a steep bank that the trail is on top of.  That would leave you about seven miles out the next day.  If you want to go farther, get your water here as it's a couple of miles to the next sites.  

Make note of what's parked at the trailhead as Hickory Creek trail is shared with horses.

--------------
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2014, 3:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

another question i just thought of------do the intersections have signs or are they fairly obvious?

especially the hairpin turn to get to east cowpen?
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2014, 4:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There were signs, and the intersections are pretty obvious.  The hairpin turn is on East Cowpen at the intersection with Hickory Ridge trail.

--------------
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2014, 4:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

thanks...

one last question for now........i think...

ok....looking at the longer hike you suggested-----by going hickory ridge to jacks creek.......

besides camping at beech bottom (which i know is heavily used and had bear problems last year), is there a good spot to cam either on hickory ridge, maybe before beech bottom, or along the start of rice camp?

basically, i think id want to avoid beech bottom.....
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2014, 5:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

where Hickory Ridge ends at the Jacks there's a campsite right on the river. this is just upstream from the Beech Bottoms area but it's on the opposite side of the river from the Jacks River Trail. i'll check my GPS data when i get home and see if i flagged any other sites.

--------------
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2014, 5:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

sweet.....

thanks........

i think i wanna avoid beech bottom if i can....
 Post Number: 13
Tipi Walter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2014, 5:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Beech Bottom has a great campsite when you leave Jacks and climb to the creek crossing in Beech Bottom.  No Camping Allowed here during the summer but if you follow Beech Bottom Creek upstream a hundred yards there's an excellent set of campsites.

Rice Camp at the Jacks trailhead has I believe a decent campsite and if you go up Rice Camp from the Jacks side there's an awesome little 'cove' with a spring running thru it.

Here's the neato campsite on Beech Bottom Creek and a hundred yards up from the crossing.

Another shot of the upper Beech Bottom camp.

Here's the Jacks crossing to the Rice Camp trailhead.  Be careful!  The brown silt is very slick.

The Rice Camp trailhead on the Jacks side.

The little cove camp on the Rice Camp trail---and it even has water.

--------------
http://trailjournals.com/TipiWalter11

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2014, 5:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

sweet.....thanks tipi...

im looking forward to this trip as thats an area i still havent been to yet......

the only thing im worried about is that my legs will be like jello since ive been doing canoe trips lately....
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2014, 5:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Guy's, isn't there an island there that you can camp on if the water's right?

--------------
 Post Number: 16
Tipi Walter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2014, 6:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

TDale---if you're talking about the Beech Bottom area, well, it's not called "bottom" for nothing as the last time I was there a flood came thru and ate up the bottoms area into little islands and fingers.  The Beech Bottom trail leaves the Jacks and crosses its namesake creek and then climbs above these fingers and islands, which are clearly visible from the trail looking down to your left.

I always thought these spots would make for some great camping.  Not a good place in high water though.

--------------
http://trailjournals.com/TipiWalter11

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 02 2014, 9:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Two last questions-----looks like I have to pay to park---is that correct?

Also----I noticed an established campground on the road to hickory creek---is there some pull off spots as well in that area?   To throw up a tent?   Something like the road spots in Citico?

Thanks....
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 02 2014, 7:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't remember pay for parking but it's been a few years.  I also don't remember pull off camping but the campgrounds are borderline primitive.  $3 or $5 a night if memory serves.

--------------
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2014, 10:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Last time I went everyone cussed me for taking them up that trail.

dont blame em----i was also cussing you as i was going up the trail........... :p

more later........
 Post Number: 20
fquail Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 08 2014, 1:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nothing beats the boulder field! Look forward to hearing your comments/reactions. And hope the view was good from the top of the falls.
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 08 2014, 9:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

When I get some time and not typing on a phone--I hope to do a picture less trip report....

But man oh man---the sunset and watching the fireworks from sunset point on top of the falls----wow.....well worth the boulder field.....out friggin standing....
20 replies since Jun. 24 2014, 9:51 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Cohutta/big frog
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions