2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: AMC Hikes, Anyone have experience w/them?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 12 2012, 3:29 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey fellow Northeast BP'ers.  Has anyone ever gone on any trips with their local AMC?

I've yet to go on an overnight trip, and thinking it's probably a great deal wiser to go with a group like this than to venture out alone for my first time out.  So I was just wondering if people had gone with AMC, what was the experience like? Would you do it again?  Any drawbacks, like size of group?

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
solowalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 12 2012, 5:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

yea, i used to belong to them. very nice people and great hike's, if you dont mind running down the trail's and no one keeping together, but that is just my take on them. i found that i was more comfortable meeting and hikeing with a few of the peep's hear on the forums than with the AMC, but then again i'm not right in the head eather. :p  but ya gotta HYOH. but dont count them out, do a few hike's with them, and see if you dig it. to each there own. or something like that.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 12 2012, 7:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

By running down I assume you're talking about impact, not actually running, correct?  If so, that was sort of one of worse aspects I was thinking about.

I definitely would like to go on any trips folks on these boards go on, so i'll keep my eyes open here too!  

Thanks for the feedback!

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 4
2Dogs1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 13 2012, 8:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just joined AMC - RE: shuttle back to my truck - I'm going on my 1st trip with them 4-28 PA - AT / so I'll keep you posted as to how it goes.
FYI, I'm heading into Harriman this afternoon till late tomorrow afternoon if your local & interested give a shout.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 13 2012, 9:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(2Dogs1 @ Apr. 13 2012, 8:36 am)
I just joined AMC - RE: shuttle back to my truck - I'm going on my 1st trip with them 4-28 PA - AT / so I'll keep you posted as to how it goes.
FYI, I'm heading into Harriman this afternoon till late tomorrow afternoon if your local & interested give a shout.

I'm in Boston, so not that the Catskills aren't a doable trip, but I work today, and am tied up for the weekend.  Appreciate the offer though!

--------------
 Post Number: 6
camper10469 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 14 2012, 12:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I find group day hikers to be peak baggers n couldn't care one iota for anyone on the team. They all hike their own hike n cause chaos n a dangerous situation for weaker inexperianced hikers that rely on groups.

but that is only my 2˘ worth of inexperiance with em.

--------------
 Post Number: 7
ktrboston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2012, 9:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Planning on going on my first one on Sunday. The trip is on a section of the Warner trail I have been working on. One of the main reason is to hike with others and I don't have to turn back half way to retrieve my car. I will let u know how it goes. Trip: moose hill to f. Gilbert state park
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2012, 4:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am back from my trip with an AMC group. I enjoyed it but I can see how someone might have a bad experience with due to the difference of pace for each individuals. Fortunately, we had a group that pretty much stuck together. So, the question is would I go again and my answer would be yes I would. Would I recommend and my answer would be yes I would. I think it has to do with what kind of group you get sometimes that are good and sometimes they are bad. I am hoping I get another good one for my next group hike.
 Post Number: 9
Burner973 Search for posts by this member.
Walk it off

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2012, 5:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks KTR

--------------
"A map is the greatest of all epic poems. Its lines and colors show the realization of great dreams." Gilbert H. Grosvenor

Peeps who keep repeating there posts sound like this after the second time, DERPA DERP UHHHHH DERPA.
 Post Number: 10
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.
A different kind of rebel...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2012, 7:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Glad you found a group to get out with.

Oh, and Harriman is Bear Mountain area, not up in the Cats.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2012, 11:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Glad you found a group you like, n fit in so nicely.

We just got back from our trip to the Cats. A fellow from an AMC hike stumbled into our lean-to Sat about mid day. It turns out he was with a weekend AMC organized trip doing some long fast milage. The guy had a problem n had to drop out early in the hike. He didn't drive so he was at the mercy of the shared group transportaion n some of the equipment.

He was one of 6. His boot sole delaminated about a mile into the begining of a 28 mile hike. The leader decided it was best this guy stay at the lean-to just a mile up the trail not even knowing if the lean-to had any room or not. They said they'd meet him at a specified time in the parking lot Sunday afternoon. They randomly gave him keys to a car, but it turns out when we got to the parking lot it we noiticed the red jeep was parked in such a way he'd never be able to get out, the other group cars were parked bumper to bumper blocking it in right next to my car flanked by an embanckment lined with boulders. They couldn't give him a tent or much food since it was shared n would leave the group short.

I find it a bit cold to just leave a guy to fend for himself like that. So why not give him the keys to the car he can drive so he can at least meet up later or maybe buy a new pair of boots in town n meet up mid route?

So yeah yeah you can justify it with excuses like you should have your own equipment n be self sufficiant.. blah blah blah... but then you really don't need a group and can go solo at your own pace.

I see groups only work fine as long as no one has any problems. When they do, it becomes total chaos... no contingency plan, no bail outs n leave your dead on the trail with SPOT on the chest. We read the SAR reports all too often n scratch our heads wondering why.  

Is there a lesson?... Yes, know what you are getting into before you join, ask lots of questions to see if they are on your level of experiance or willing to teach you as a newbie n work as a group so you aren't surprised later when it is too late. Most organization do rate their hikes for dificulty n experiance level so understand what it means before the heading out.

Have fun.

--------------
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2012, 2:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Camper - I total agree but / I've been going Solo for so long, I forgot what it's like to go with a group - I went this past weekend (3 day trip) with a group from AMC and I'll have to say I had a Blast & now have some new hiking buddies - even though the pace was a lot slower than I like - The leader let me hike my hike and I meet up with them at every major x-ing - I for one do not rely on others / I carry all my own gear - so if I'm down I'll handle it but that comes from years of going solo - some of these new Want a Bie's is a different story - They've never seen the Cats, Dacks or Whites explode into monster rain or snow storm in August

So would I go again .......... You bet - Thats how much fun I had / Will I still do solo trips - You bet I will, There's a time & place for both events
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2012, 3:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been solo most of the time as well n perhaps that is why I don't get along with groups.

I am very happy with the few friends I go with, we have a blast.

I agree about being self sufficiant on group trips, they'll leave you in a heart beat. It seems they are much to goal oriented whereas with my buddies it a nice mozie n if we get to the goal it is a treat n if not, we enjoyed the effort.

But for newbies it is a crap shoot n they should beware of what they are getting into by learning what the rating of the trip means. I've seen too many drawn out faces on the trails being draged by some he man drill seargent leader pushing them well over their limits.

--------------
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2012, 7:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Camper and 2dogs, thank you for Incite and experiences. I am new to backpacking but with folks like here in this forum I can learn a lot. I tend to do things solo cause my schedule makes it hard to get a partner and most of my friends are not as outdoors as I am(they don't know what their missing) but anyways thanks for your input.
 Post Number: 15
Fox Search for posts by this member.
proudly deviating from the norm

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2012, 10:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

funny that you should refer to the group leaders as "he man drill seargent leader"
I've always felt there was an aura of paramilitary that seemed to take over those organized group hikes
I don't find that fun at all

I am mostly annoyed by the sheer numbers that they bring in to the woods
makes for some ugly ghetto camping when 10 or 15 people suddenly pile in to a lean to and the surrounding area

I'm not a fan of these hikes
Personally I think a newb can learn a lot more by hooking up with a more experienced hiker or by just heading out and doing it.
 Post Number: 16
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2012, 4:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What kind of an organization has a leader withour seamgrip and gorilla glue in their pack?

The AMC is a great organization, but this leader didn't appear to have the chops. What if it peeled halfway through?

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2012, 5:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Fox @ May 02 2012, 10:34 am)
funny that you should refer to the group leaders as "he man drill seargent leader"
I've always felt there was an aura of paramilitary that seemed to take over those organized group hikes
I don't find that fun at all

I am mostly annoyed by the sheer numbers that they bring in to the woods
makes for some ugly ghetto camping when 10 or 15 people suddenly pile in to a lean to and the surrounding area

I'm not a fan of these hikes
Personally I think a newb can learn a lot more by hooking up with a more experienced hiker or by just heading out and doing it.

I hear you.  Especially on the size of the groups.  But in the defense of folks new to BPing (like myself).  It can be awkward to just invite yourself along on someone else's trip (not saying that folks here wouldn't be happy to, but it's still a little awkward).  From that standpoint, at least when you sign up for the AMC you know there will be some folks feeling as bewildered as you do, that can relate, and the purpose of some of those hikes is strictly to help beginners learn the ropes.

On the going by yourself side...I personally can't wait to do that, but I gotta admit I'd be a whole lot more comfortable the first or second time out with some folks who are happy to answer questions, give pointers, etc.  Plus the fiancee thinks I'll never come home, if I go out for my first BPing trip alone, haha.

That said, I can definitely appreciate your point.

Edit: To be clear, I don't expect to learn everything, or even most of what I need to know by going on 1 or 2 AMC (or other guided-type trips).  It would only be to supplement what I've learned through dayhiking, reading, hanging out in forums like this, blogs etc.  And you're right nothing can replace actual experience.

--------------
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2012, 5:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Eastie,

Best thing I can tell is learn from other peoples mistakes - look at what people are carrying & using for gear, the last trip I went on I was amazed, at the loads some people had for a 3 day 2 night trip / some where hauling 60 plus liter packs stuffed full ??? why kill yourself, The thing you need to learn is what equipment/gear works for you - Not whats being pushed on the market
Hiking with a pack that weights in 20's is a lot more fun than hauling 40 plus lbs,
Make 3 piles Necessities, Comfort & Luxury  and keep shaking the items down, until the items in your pack are the only items you really need not the ones you used once on trip 2 years ago .............
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2012, 8:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good point 2Dogs.

I find people like to have too many "extra clothes" for every condition n situation in their packs as "just in case" stuff.

Instead, bring enough clothes that if you wore em all, you'd be able to endure the max lowest expected temps.

The only things that really need to be changed everyday are socks n undies. I'll bet that sheds half the weight n bulk right there.

Miserable feet will make the rest of you just as miserable... and lets not forget who the real leader of the human body is.. not your brain either.

--------------
 Post Number: 20
vinovampire Search for posts by this member.
Winter is Coming

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2012, 12:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(camper10469 @ May 07 2012, 8:45 am)

Instead, bring enough clothes that if you wore em all, you'd be able to endure the max lowest expected temps.

The only things that really need to be changed everyday are socks n undies. I'll bet that sheds half the weight n bulk right there.

I agree. Socks are really the only piece of clothing that I bring extras. Socks aren't just useful for your feet, they also work great as a pair of mittens on a cold night. Bringing a lot of extra clothing just adds weight and bulk. You have to dry your cloths by wearing them, while you're moving. Unless you're in a hot, sunny place I've found the only way to dry things is to use body heat. If my soaks get soaked, I take them off, wring them out, and then put them back on while I'm hiking.

Summit of Mt Liberty, NH, May 5, 2012

Overall, good advice helps, but you really just need to take a few, nice, easy trips with good, knowledgeable people. Each season, I like to take two or three simple, easy shake-down trips where I don't travel too far and instead take some time to practice knots, bear bagging, etc. For me, that means taking a trip without a big goal in-mind, which allows you a margin of error to test your skills and gear.

This past weekend, I hiked a bit in the Franconia Notch area. There was no big plan, I just got a nice view of the sunset and Super Moon, and transitions from my winter/early-spring gear to my 3-season setup. Even though I went through everything before I left, I realized I brought a few too many things and left one or two optional items behind by mistake.

:laugh: Actually, I saw a guy hiking wearing super gaiters and glacier glasses. I guess he was expecting more winter-like conditions...  ???
19 replies since Apr. 12 2012, 3:29 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply AMC Hikes
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions