2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Boston!, Non-Backpacking, not about the band.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 17 2012, 12:54 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just booked myself into a conference in Boston next month - staying at The Langham in the Financial District.

I'll basically have two evenings (a Wed and Thurs) to eat and wander around - what should I do and where should I eat?  (can be a nice restaurant but not super expensive, I think my limit is $30 for dinner on expense account)

I did the tourist/historical stuff when I was there in 2002 so I don't need do the Freedom Trail again.

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 17 2012, 1:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Firedancer @ May 17 2012, 12:54 pm)
Just booked myself into a conference in Boston next month - staying at The Langham in the Financial District.

I'll basically have two evenings (a Wed and Thurs) to eat and wander around - what should I do and where should I eat?  (can be a nice restaurant but not super expensive, I think my limit is $30 for dinner on expense account)

I did the tourist/historical stuff when I was there in 2002 so I don't need do the Freedom Trail again.

$30 meal limit?  They know you're eating in Boston right???   :laugh:

I'm super swamped at work right now and just popped on BP'er to see what was happening, but let me collect my thoughts later tonight, and I'll give you some recommendations!  

One quick question...will you have a rental car, or will your choices be restricted to public transportation?

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 3
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.
A different kind of rebel...

PostIcon Posted on: May 17 2012, 1:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Massive budget traveler, here. I might have found a backyard to pitch a tent.

I'd first suggest Groupon. Find some good things there.

Then, STAY WAY FROM THE BRIGHT LIGHTS!

I've traveled the world and have, almost to every instance, found that getting into the backstreets have left me with the best experience.

Ethnic street food. An affordable staple in any big city.

That's my hike. That said, HYOH. More importantly, BYOF.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 4
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: May 17 2012, 1:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bigsilk @ May 17 2012, 1:34 pm)
That said, HYOH. More importantly, BYOF.

BYOF?

Who camps on a business trip?  Not me!  Totally impractical in this case, as if I'm going to roll out of a tent and throw on a suit for a conference?!  Appreciate the input, but it's not what I asked for - not looking for a cultural experience or lecture on how to avoid tourist traps, just something to do for a few hours each night.  If I go to Bangladesh or Bangkok I'll heed your wisdom.

Eastie - I don't plan on renting a car, just walking or taking a cab if walking is out.  (Not opposed to public transit, but my time is limited from about 5pm to bedtime both nights)

--------------
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 5
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.
A different kind of rebel...

PostIcon Posted on: May 17 2012, 2:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

BYOF = Be Your Own Fire. Punkybrewster and I just came up with that this past weekend. Along the lines of HYOH.

Didn't know it was a biz thing. Even then, I might have found a b/y. Just saying...

In any event, I still say look at Groupon. Fun, cheap stuff.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 6
vinovampire Search for posts by this member.
Winter is Coming

PostIcon Posted on: May 17 2012, 3:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As a person looking for a Boston experience with a $30 limit, I'd go James Hook & Co Lobsters. Buy yourself some friggin' chowder. Don't expect the best service in the world, you're in Boston and the lobsters are coming right off the boats.

If you have time, you should go to the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum. It's so unique and the location of one of the biggest art heists in US history at $500 million in stolen art. Did you visit this museum on your last trip to Boston?

Have fun!
 Post Number: 7
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: May 17 2012, 3:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(vinovampire @ May 17 2012, 3:01 pm)
As a person looking for a Boston experience with a $30 limit, I'd go James Hook & Co Lobsters. Buy yourself some friggin' chowder. Don't expect the best service in the world, you're in Boston and the lobsters are coming right off the boats.

If you have time, you should go to the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum. It's so unique and the location of one of the biggest art heists in US history at $500 million in stolen art. Did you visit this museum on your last trip to Boston?

Have fun!

Well, if I have to spend more, I have to spend more - $30 is the guideline, and was looking to stay low given my hotel room is $319 a night (gulp) - but I want to eat well while I'm there, just don't want to gouge the company credit card with lobsters and bottles of wine!

Did not see that museum, I'll have to check and if if they are open in the evening.s

James Hook came up on Yelp when I searched the neighborhood of my hotel, so I'll check it out.  Thanks!

--------------
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 8
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: May 17 2012, 3:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Firedancer @ May 17 2012, 1:57 pm)
Who camps on a business trip?

Guilty.

Totally impractical in this case, as if I'm going to roll out of a tent and throw on a suit for a conference?!

Guilty again. You could even do some urban stealth camping with this beauty: http://www.fieldcandy.com/original/bricksandmortar.htm

In regards to the OP... although I usually end up doing a couple of business trips to Beantown each year, I'm not a local, so I don't know all the neat places to eat, etc. I either try to catch a Red Sox game at Fenway, just walk around town, or find a nice pub and get drunk with the locals. If I end up with an entire day free, I may try to book a fishing charter or whale watch... but I haven't done that yet. Eh... who am I kidding... I usually spend my time stuck in traffic.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2012, 1:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Okay. So my plan is to give you some "locals only" suggestions because I think that is the best way to really experience a city.  Boston is full of tourist traps, that are enjoyable, but are often overpriced (which is why I playfully laughed at the $30 meal reimbursement).  So, first up do you like/would you like to try some great Korean cuisine?  Maybe not the first thing you think about in Boston, but there's a place called Suishaya in Chinatown.  It's actually Korean/Japanese fusion, but I've always stuck with the Korean and some sushi.  Some Yelpers say this place is expensive, but I feel like they're comparing to a typical Chinese-American restaurant, which this is not.  My personal recommendation is the Spicy Pork Bulgoki and my fiancee loves the Bi  Bim Bap (which can be veggies or meat).  This should be right in the $30 wheel house

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2012, 1:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you're feeling like comfort food, there's a little hole in the wall called Silvertone's (and as a bonus it's just steps away from the beautiful Boston Common).  This is MY FAVORITE comfort food go to.  Everything on the menu is good.  The setting is semi-trendy, but don't let that scare you.  Again, it's not highly advertised, so it's mostly locals which I think you'll find charming.  Prices should be in the $30 wheelhouse.  By the way both this restaurant and the Korean one mentioned above would be within walking distance of your hotel.

--------------
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2012, 1:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Irish Pub - Black Rose; it's a little touristy because it's adjacent to Fanuiel Hall, but they have authentic food, servers, and musicians.  It's a fairly-priced and neat little spot, also within walking distance.

--------------
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2012, 1:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And last for food recommendations is the Seaport District.  This is an up and coming neighborhood just south of downtown, so you might want to take a cab (which are notoriously expensive in Boston) but you could walk it too.  Seaport district has great restaurants throughout.  My personal recommendation would be The Barking Crab.  Really cool location right on the water, where folks can dock their boats and just walk right on into the restaurant. Great seafood, fairly priced, very popular with the after work crowd especially on a nice summer day.  I'd really recommend trying this place, it gives you a little of everything you'd expect in Boston, and who doesn't love the smell of the salt water in the air while munching on some crabs and the like.

Note I changed the name of the restaurant...I originally said Joe's Crab Shack, and I meant to say The Barking Crab.

--------------
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2012, 1:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sorry this was all so lengthy..As far as stuff to do Museum of Fine Arts, Contemporary Museum of Arts, walk the Boston Common, walk up Hanover Street in the North End (the famed Italian Neighborhood).  Definitely a subway ride away, but a beautiful walk can be had along the Charles River by taking the Green Line to one of the Boston University stops.  There's always charming Newbury St with it's significantly overpriced stores, but still a nice neighborhood to poke around in.

PS.  www.mbta.com will allow you to plan travel by entering a starting/ending point, and it will tell you which color subway lines to take and what not.

--------------
 Post Number: 14
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2012, 4:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(EastieTrekker @ May 18 2012, 1:44 pm)
And last for food recommendations is the Seaport District.

I was blown away by Legal Seafood's restaurant there. It's like the Disneyland of seafood.

PS - Is having a fish tank in a seafood restaurant  unethical? :D

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2012, 5:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ May 18 2012, 4:12 pm)

(EastieTrekker @ May 18 2012, 1:44 pm)
And last for food recommendations is the Seaport District.

I was blown away by Legal Seafood's restaurant there. It's like the Disneyland of seafood.

PS - Is having a fish tank in a seafood restaurant  unethical? :D

Haha, it's borderline...excuse me waiter...yeah I'll take that little guy swimming around right there....oh wait where did he go...okay whatever you can catch is fine.

--------------
 Post Number: 16
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2012, 6:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow, hadn't checked in for a couple days..thanks!  I will note these and likely try the Barking Crab and one other.  Have to have some seafood while I'm there!

--------------
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: May 22 2012, 2:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Firedancer @ May 21 2012, 6:05 pm)
Wow, hadn't checked in for a couple days..thanks!  I will note these and likely try the Barking Crab and one other.  Have to have some seafood while I'm there!

You're quite welcome!  You're going to love the Barking Crab (I'm crossing my fingers that it will be a nice day that way they open up all the "windows").

Be sure to check back, and let us know what you thought!

--------------
 Post Number: 18
thegriz1 Search for posts by this member.
Will hike for beer

PostIcon Posted on: May 23 2012, 5:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Will be south of there in Brant Rock this weekend

--------------
Life is too short to drink cheap beer
 Post Number: 19
leprechaun Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 29 2012, 7:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As with everything else in life what I like , you may not.  I work in Boston and there are great things to do all over the city.  There are great concerts in the city at places like, TD bank Garden(where Bruins and Celtics play) The Pavillion, And numerous places on Comm. ave. for the young crazies.  The Klink is a cool bar in the old Charles St. Jail and the Fairmont Copley should have their new bar open, I was working on that one.  The food is great here too.  Legal Seafoods was mentioned, but there is a cool place called LTK(Legal's Test Kitchen where)it is in "Southie" next to the Renaissance Hotel.  The best chowda is just a two minute walk from there to the fish pier and find the No Name restaurant.  It's wicked good chowda.  Abe and Louie's in Copley is a good steak place.  My question for you is what do you like?
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: May 29 2012, 7:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Brant Rock can be a fun place too
 Post Number: 21
rogerskevin67 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2012, 2:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

$30 is a pretty small budget for eating out in Boston but it is possible to get a delicious deal at that price. There is this new AMAZING waffle place called Saus right near the Haymarket T Station. They are one of the cheapest food places in that region but their food is of good quality. They have sandwiches too that are generally cheap and are equally as good. Also check Groupon, you might be able to find a good daily deal regarding activities Boston can offer or places to eat that normally would be more expensive.
 Post Number: 22
SauntRR Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2012, 6:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I highly recommend the TripAdvisor City Guide free app--you can find restaurants, accommodations and attractions all over town for whatever you are willing to pay.  Had a fantabulous time in Boston in August.  Mike's Pastry in the North End is not to be missed!  The Chinatown hostel is cool, and at $50 night the most reasonably-priced shelter in Boston.  Have fun!

--------------
...SAUNTERING is derived "from idle people who roved about the country, under pretense of going a la Sainte Terre," to the Holy Land....  Some, however, would derive the word from sans terre without land or home, which will mean having no particular home, but equally at home everywhere.   Thoreau
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2012, 6:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Uhhhh....folks.  Firedancer in her OP said in May, that she was going to Boston the following month.  Yeaaahhh, we're in September now, lol.  :p

--------------
 Post Number: 24
solowalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2012, 9:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(EastieTrekker @ Sep. 19 2012, 6:21 pm)
Uhhhh....folks.  Firedancer in her OP said in May, that she was going to Boston the following month.  Yeaaahhh, we're in September now, lol.  :p

what the hell, nothing else going on hear anyway.
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2012, 12:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hehe.  I was wondering how the trip was though.
 Post Number: 26
treich Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 1:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thats ok.  I'm heading there next week and appreciated the suggestions also.
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 6:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great, enjoy it.  Visit the Freedom Trail, The US Constitution, Science Museum, New England Aquarium, Sam Adams Brewery, Harpoon Brewery.  Hike the Blue Hills, it's a great park outside the city with great views.  Plenty to do in the big city.
26 replies since May 17 2012, 12:54 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Boston!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions