2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Bourne Pond Trail, VT, condition< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
HikermomCT Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 15 2012, 11:54 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Does anyone know about trail conditions of the Bourn Pond-Stratton Pond Loop? I know the trails around Bourn Pond were heavily damaged in a storm a couple of years ago and want to know if they've been repaired enough to hike around. Thanks for any info you can offer.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
vinovampire Search for posts by this member.
Winter is Coming

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 15 2012, 12:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I suggest that you call the Green Mountain Club. The GMC maintains most of the hiking trails in Vermont. They have information on the conditions of the various trails around the state and are an amazing resource.
 Post Number: 3
Fox Search for posts by this member.
proudly deviating from the norm

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2012, 7:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll try to fill you in a little from my last passes through the area -

the trail from Bourn to Stratton is passable but it is cluttered and prone to occasions of high water

the specific trail you asked about (Bourn Pond Trail) was open from Kelly Stand to the pond and in relatively good shape - remember this is a wilderness area and none of these trails are maintained the way the LT/AT is
the trails around Bourn and out to Lye Brook Falls are in very good shape (there are some recent improvements to the camping areas around Bourn)

the trail to Douglas from Bourn was blocked the last time I was through there. well... not really blocked.... it was under water for a good stretch. beavers have been very busy back there and a bush whack or some wading was necessary to get through
* the trail to Stratton tenting area was under water too

in closing I would say I strongly agree with vinovampire about calling the GMC. their data/info is going to be more up to date than mine
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2012, 11:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the info Fox and vinovampire. We will put a call into GMC for their latest info.
 Post Number: 5
HuntersHikes Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2012, 9:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anyone hiked this lately?  Planning on doing the 15-mile loop and sleeping at Bourn Pond the last weekend of July and would love to hear about trail conditions, etc.  Thanks!

--------------
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball, and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without considering if there are men on base.

Latitude:N 42° 7' 34.7232"
Longitude:W 71° 42' 28.6164"

www.huntershikes.com
 Post Number: 6
2Dogs1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 08 2012, 3:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll be on the LT next week for 6 days from KIllington NOBO - When I'm back I'll be glad to post a report
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 14 2012, 9:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some friends and I just did a loop hike here. Below is a trail report.

Started our hike outside of Manchester, VT on Rootville Road around noon on Friday. There are spots for around 8 cars at the trailhead. We stopped for lunch at Prospect Rock but didn’t stay long because it started raining. Rootville Road joins the AT/Long Trail and then we turned south onto the Branch Pond Trail. Our first day we hiked 3.2 miles to the Douglas Shelter, although we planned on tenting rather than staying in the shelters. We were able to get our tents up during a break in the rain and then were able to sit under the shelter to eat and play cards out of the rain. There was space for two three person tents next to the shelter. There was one AT through hiker in the shelter that night – his trail name was Animal and another young guy from Colby College who I think was hiking the Long Trail. There is a pipe coming out of a stream just beyond the shelter for water, a fire pit in front of the shelter and a pit/composting toilet. Lots of humming birds around the jewel weed in front of the shelter.

No rain to start out on Saturday morning and we first hiked three miles to Bourn Pond where we went for a swim and had lunch. Beautiful spot. We joined up with the Lye Brook Trail. Two more miles of hiking after that, but it started raining during this time so we were pretty drenched when we got to the tent site at Stratton Pond. The trail over to Stratton Pond had some downed trees to either climb over or under, but we found it pretty passable. Lots of muddy sections and only one big tree down that required a bit more effort to get over – follow the blue tape hung on trees. Stratton Pond has a tent site on the south side of the pond, with three platforms, and then a shelter on the north side (6/10ths of mile away around the pond) that sleeps around 20 people. We decided to stay at the tent site which we were happy about because we heard the next day that the shelter was packed because of the rain. It rained most of Saturday afternoon/early evening so we just hung around under the trees, eventually putting up our bear bag rope and getting the tents up when the rain slowed way down. It stopped raining around dinner time so we made dinner but then we got another downpour as we were eating. When the rain stopped later we were actually able to make a small fire using birch bark. Both the shelter site and the tent site have fire pits and pit/composting toilets. The Green Mountain Club charges $5 a night, per person, to either camp at the tent sites or stay in the Stratton Pond Shelter. The caretaker has a tent site near the shelter.

Sunday was clear and we set off on a day hike up Stratton Mountain to the fire tower– a 6.4 mile round trip hike. Once we started up the mountain, it was a lot of steady climbing, but it wasn’t bad without a heavy pack. You can’t see any views on the top when you are standing on the ground because the trees have grown up so much, but you can climb up the tower for a 360 degree view. Nice caretakers up there. Back to our campsite and a swim in Stratton Pond. Clear evening with stars that night. There is a lot of beaver activity around the pond so it’s very important to treat your water. We pumped from a running stream near the campsite rather than the pond.  We also heard loons on the pond.

Monday, we packed up and hit the trail around 9 am to hike out 8 miles to the cars. We went back around the pond to the shelter and then headed north on the AT/Long Trail to close the loop with the Branch Pond Trail and back down Rootville Road. Not a hard hike, just rolling hills. We went to a Turkish restaurant for lunch andaheaded home from there.
 Post Number: 8
arensdad Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 15 2012, 5:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

did a loop last week from rt 11/30 to bourne pond/ stratton pond/ stratton mt. all trails are open but the strech from bourne to stratton pond was tough, actully only a 1/2 mile was bad but it is passable. we dropped our packs at bourne which made the trip much easier. this was a great trip for me and I highly recommend staying at bourne pond as there are some beutiful camp sites there.
 Post Number: 9
DerekLawler Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 13 2013, 6:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Lye Brook Trail is absolutely doable, and you don't need a compass. The section closest to Stratton Pond is sort of a mess due to blowdowns and brushy regrowth. We had to duck under several downed trees and clamber over one huge one. In a couple of iffy sections, there are blue flags marking the route, but there is a trail the entire way. The stream crossing just below Stratton Pond required a bit of maneuvering, but I kept my feet dry.

--------------
Fish Pond Liner repair|Backyard Fish Ponds Liner Repair-Pondpro2000.com
 Post Number: 10
ktrboston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 10:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Was there last Fall, Lye Brook trail like the previous poster said is doable. Some folks had to do some balancing on trees to cross the creeks (only because they did not have water proof boots) I just crossed it. The area was a lot of fun and beautiful scenery.  Enjoy it. I have been to the Green Mountains last season and loved it. Going at the end of April to hike LT to Griffith lake stay the night and then hike to Bromley Mountain as our exit. Going to be fun. First trip of the spring.
9 replies since Jun. 15 2012, 11:54 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Bourne Pond Trail, VT
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions