2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Peekamoose and Table 6/23< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
pudgy_groundhog Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2012, 10:55 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There was an earlier thread about hikers with kids and I thought I'd post an upcoming hike in case anybody would like to join us.  Our plan (me, husband, and daughter) is to hike Peekamoose and Table on Saturday and camp at the Sundown field Saturday night (primitive sites, no facilities), with a likely stop at the Blue Hole swimming hole after the hike.  

While I would love for other hikers with kids to join us, anybody is welcome to come. Just be warned that we have a chatty 4.5 year old and will be taking a slow pace on the hike. :)

Happy trails!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
2Dogs1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2012, 5:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I haven't been that way in awhile - But the Blue Hole might not be there anymore - That area was hit hard from Hurricane Irene
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2012, 10:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm sure Blue Hole is still there - whether it's littered with logs, rocks, etc remains to be seen. We hiked Black Dome last month and the effects of Irene were apparent. The trail crews that replaced the bridges did a nice job.
 Post Number: 4
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2012, 2:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was planning on doing a little something there with my kids. Please let me know how you make out and how it was.

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
author unknown
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2012, 2:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, we've had some bad car mojo this past week, so got a much later start on Saturday than we expected.  We only hiked about 1.5 miles up the trail to Peekamoose before turning around (late start + kiddo was tired).  Blue Hole was nice. It's been a few years since we've been there - we thought there seemed to be less rocks around, but it's more or less the same.  Water was cold of course, but my husband still jumped in a few times.  My daughter just played in the shallow bits.

We camped at the Upper Field at Sundown - that was a mistake. Loud music until all hours of the night (although only seemed to keep me up - husband and daughter were out like a light early in the night).  Maybe Middle or Lower Fields were more quiet.

Yesterday we hiked Ashokan High Point.  This time we made it to the top, although the total hike with breaks took us six hours. We felt more tired than we should after a seven mile hike.  :p  We found ripe blueberries as we were going up the trail - did not go to the meadow to see the blueberry situation there (suspect not too many ripe yet as we didn't see too many ripe ones as we went got higher up the trail).  Good hike.

Anyway - with the swimming hole, hikes, and waterfalls close by - it's a neat area to visit (with kids or not).
 Post Number: 6
camper10469 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2012, 3:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was wondering how you guys made out. Glad to hear it was an experiance for the kids. AHP is a beautiful area. There was once an old blueberry farm in there n I always look forward to mid Aug for em.

Also if you explore off the side of the begining of the trail, you'll find many foundations in there. The fall is my favorite season on that trail as it really comes alive with color.

That road walk in hte begining of the Peekmoose trail is a real bore. Once you head into the steeps it becomes more like what you'd expect. The views up top are amazing but heck maybe next time when it gets cooler n an earlier start will make a real nice adventure.

BTW next time try heading in from the Denning side? That is a really nice place to camp under the pine trees and explore the Neversink n Deer Wshanty Rivers with the kids. PLenty of sites, mostly a flat walk in and you have the Table trail right there to day hike up the next day. You'll definately have a quieter night n plenty of stars.

--------------
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2012, 3:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I used to plan an annual hike up Ashokan with friends called the Blueberry Hike - definitely a great spot for blueberries!  I knew we were early in the season for them this time around, but was pleasantly surprised that we found some on the trail going up. I didn't realize there was once a blueberry farm up there, or the foundations for that matter.  AHP is a good hike year round - the mountain laurel lining the trail is really pretty earlier in the season, the blueberries, fall color ... nice spot. :)

We've been up Peekamoose multiple times and agree the views at the top are nice. One of the more memorable times was when we sat at the viewpoint for awhile talking to a backpacker and he offered us a joint.  lol.  My daughter has been up there too, but never hiking all the way on her own. Next time.  :)

Oh, forgot to say we saw a bear!  We've only spotted bears a few times in the Catskills, so it was a treat to see one this time. He was on the side of 28A and bounded into the woods when we slowed down for a better look.

Thanks for the tip on the trail from the Denning side. Will have to check it out some time for some nice campsites. :)
 Post Number: 8
itsinthecar Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2013, 4:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Does anyone know the location of upper middle lower fields for camping at peekamoose blue?"  planning a trip this summer to camp and swim :)   Also does anyone know if the swimming hole is right next to the road/?  it looks like that through what I have seen so far on the web
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2013, 10:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

The DEC site has info on camping there:

DEC

The swimming hole is right next to the road.  You can park in the trailhead to Peekamoose or find a spot along the road.
8 replies since Jun. 19 2012, 10:55 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Peekamoose and Table 6/23
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions