2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Mt Washington Info, Nov 2012< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 17 2012, 7:48 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For our 6th annual Veterans Day weekend on Mt Washington we are looking for something a bit different.

We have for the past 5 years just gone up Tuckerman to the Hermit Lake shelters. Base camp from there and summit via Tuckerman and then down Lions Head back to Hermit Lake.

Are there other shelters that are open year round. I need to call AMC and check but thought the group here would also be a good source

We have 4 days this year Fri-Mon so we have way more time to spend up there.

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 15 2012, 10:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Still can't believe no one has jumped on this, at least on the forums anyway.  Good trip, I have done it with eggs and the gang once, even with a stomach virus I made it to the summit and we had amazing weather.

I will be joining you again sir, just not this year.

--------------
Im just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and its good to know its out of my control.  If theres one thing Ive learned from all this living is that it wouldnt change a thing if I let go
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 15 2012, 1:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sorry, I didn't see this before.  I think with what you are looking for, the Hermit Lake shelters are really your best option.

I'm sure you've seen the Joe Dodge Lodge at Pinkham Notch.  It's a full service lodge, so probably not what you had in mind.

Then there's the Lake of Clouds Hut, which is at some 5000' of elevation, but it is closed by Veteran's Day.

I'd have to double check, but there is also the RMC (Randolph Mountain Club) which has shelters/tentsites on the northern slopes of the Presidential's, but nothing very close to Washington, if I'm not mistaken.

If there's 2 feet of snow by then, you can camp above treeline!!  :;):

But really, given the time of year, and it sounds like you want some semblance of a shelter, Hermit Lake's the way to go.

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice. ???
 Post Number: 4
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 18 2012, 7:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Eastie have you been to the Birch Shelter run by Randolph Mountain club

http://randolphmountainclub.org/sheltersinfo/theperch.html

Might be an option but we'd then need a shuttle back to Pinkham notch. Or we'd have an 8 mile walk out the way it looks to me. But getting to it from Mt Washington seems doable if conditions are OK it's about 4 miles

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 5
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 20 2012, 10:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Are you thinking of adding additional mountains on the range, or just Washington?

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 6
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 20 2012, 11:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eggs @ Aug. 18 2012, 7:31 am)
Eastie have you been to the Birch Shelter run by Randolph Mountain club

http://randolphmountainclub.org/sheltersinfo/theperch.html

Might be an option but we'd then need a shuttle back to Pinkham notch. Or we'd have an 8 mile walk out the way it looks to me. But getting to it from Mt Washington seems doable if conditions are OK it's about 4 miles

I have not used The Perch (yet).

Actually, I am considering using the Perch for a two-day traverse of the entire presidential range in a few weeks. I would be happy to report back with my thoughts on it. But, full disclosure, we will be spotting cars so where we stay will be a matter of convenience and room.

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice. ???
 Post Number: 7
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 20 2012, 2:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The group size this year is probably only going to be 4. So the shelter will be large enough but as a three sided shelter it might be a bit breezy. I'd more than likely bring my freestanding tent and use the pad.

There must be a shuttle service up that way. Will do some more digging.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the site once you finish your trip

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 8
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 20 2012, 2:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Aug. 20 2012, 10:19 am)
Are you thinking of adding additional mountains on the range, or just Washington?

If we go to The Birch yes we'd be adding a few other mountains.

This is all still all an early plan. So many variables will make this not happen. Team fitness will be a large factor. Humping winter gear up Mt Washington will be a PITA. Weather will be the final factor.

Base camping at Hermit lake is much easier

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
7 replies since Jul. 17 2012, 7:48 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Mt Washington Info
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions