2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: short line bus, from Port Authority to Tuxedo..Harriman< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 07 2012, 12:54 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Has any one ever taken the short line bus from Port Authority in NYC to Tuxedo, NY...Harriman State Park? Or to anywhere in Harriman for that matter?  I am planning on trying it out in about 2 weeks or so, leave work an hour or 2 early..take the bus to tuxedo and do a short overnighter...and possibly wake up early and hike back out and get to work  2 or 3 hours late..instead of using a day off. I'm curious how well the buses keep to the schedule...

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
author unknown
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
camper10469 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 08 2012, 8:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My friend used them many times to get to Harrimen after work n always raved about their punctuality as he ran screaming down the road only a minute late for the bus as it was pulling out.

BTW the Red Apple Rest has been closed for years now, so no more great breakfast before heading home in the morning.

--------------
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 08 2012, 11:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

lol..cool, good news thankyou. Red Apple Rest..hmmm..never heard of it.

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 4
2Dogs1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 11 2012, 10:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you want a real nice end ro end hike / Take the train to Suffern and hike the SBM trail to Pine Meadow than head to the Tuxedo train station or if your looking for something longer
pick up the Sterling forest maps - Than take the train to Harriman Saphire tr to AT to.Wildcat cat mt, x intp the park on the Nurian, make camp @ greenpond (7 miles) than head to either Tuxedo or Sloatsburg for the return train - The trains are.always on time / Give me a.shout when your going - Im n the park all the time, its my backyard play ground
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 15 2012, 3:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have not decided on a day yet. Which ever day I chose, I wont get there untill 4-5 pm...so I will only have approx 3 hours or so untill sunset (7:45ish)...then I will have to wake up by 5 am and hike out to catch an 8am ish bus back to the city. Its gonna be a shorty and a quicky, lol...no pun intended.

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 6
2Dogs1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 17 2012, 3:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not much time to hike or relax with that schedule
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 17 2012, 6:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

No, none at all. I just kind of want to do a quick test...solo run, with no kids or anyone else whose gear I have to carry. Everytime I go out I always find myself carrying a little extra..be it for my kids or friends (friends not having their own gear, so I bring my copper spur 3 and bigger cook pot) .... Whatever it is. I also just got a new pack, new alcohol stove and pot..so I wanna try that out also before my October trip... I also do not want to burn a day of work..rather save my days for fall and winter, when I really enjoy my time outside. Soooo..yeah, not a lot of time for much, but if I can squeeze in a night camping in the woods and a short hike, during the week, without losing a vacation day at work...and I'm out of the city and off long island...hell, I will do it and I will do it more often if it works out. During the week, my normal schedule is wake up at 5 am, get on train at 6, get in Penn at 7:30, walk to work and get there by 8 or so. Leave work at 3:40, walk to Penn and take train home..get home around 6 ish.....blah blah blah...Monday thru Friday...so believe me...to squeeze a night in Harriman once a week every now and then in between my schedule will be a welcome change...even if time is short, it will be cherrished my friend, trust me.

--------------

author unknown
6 replies since Aug. 07 2012, 12:54 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply short line bus
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions