2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Grafton Loop Trail / Mt Washington< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
kidner Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2012, 10:30 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm going to the White Mountain area the second week of October and am planning on doing the Grafton Loop Trail (actually over in ME), and then spend a couple days in the Mount Washington area.

Anyone have any comments or thoughts about the Grafton Loop Trail?  Clockwise/Counterclockwise?  Cool things to check out?

As far as Mount Washington, there are a ton of trails.  Any suggestions here?

Thanks
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 22 2012, 11:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Never done either of the trails or places you mentioned, but I would love to do the Grafton Loop trail in the near future. Please post about it if you do it and tell us what you think.

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 3
GlenG Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 23 2012, 8:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Second week in Oct might be sketchy above timberline in the Presidentials.  You should have a plan b for hiking in lower elevations, in case the weather gets nasty and you are not prepped for it.  What do you want to hike in the Whites?  Washington might be tolerable, touron wise, that late in the year.  I usually avoid Big Geo, there are better summits.  But that's the appeal that there are none higher.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 23 2012, 9:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

@GottaGamble - I'll be sure to post something.

@GlenG - Sounds like you have some knowledge of the area.  Any suggestions you have would be great.  I'm looking for input on interesting trails in the area to have that Plan B.  I understand the unpredictable nature of the weather in this area, and will be prepared.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 24 2012, 6:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Are you backpacking or dayhiking?  How many days?  I've been to the Whites many times, I do know the area pretty well.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 24 2012, 4:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have the entire week, so I plan on doing the Grafton loop as a backpack (3-4 days I figure), and then am open to either doing another 2-3 day backpack or some day hikes.  I'm not set on any trail really.  I haven't been to this area yet, so I'm trying to figure out what's worth checking out.  Rugged terrain or trails are not a problem.  Thanks for taking the time for some advice!
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 24 2012, 6:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Myself, I have different agendas when I peak bag, vs. backpacking.  I tend to stick more to easier terrain when backpacking and enjoy more of the entire experience, rather than being set on bagging a particular peak.  There are trails in the Whites that you probably do not want to hump a full pack on as well.  If you are going to day hike, Mt Adams is pretty sweet, and is a kick butt hike, especially if you combine it with the King Ravine.  My Jefferson is a short, but intense hike, up Caps Ridge.  If you are backpacking, you should see if you can stay at the lean to's at Spauding lake in the Great Gulf.  Though I've never been up the Great Gulf from the bottom that far, its looks spectacular looking down upon it from up top.  From there, you can use that as a base of operations and any of the northern Presidentials are within range, if the weather cooperates.  The Pemmegewasset WIlderness is also a great place to backpack.  One of the best day hikes in the Whites is the loop up Falling Waters, on the Franconia Ridge trail up and over the summits of Lafayette and Lincoln and then down Old Bridle Path.  But that is in Franconia Notch, which is a bit over an hour away drive time from Gorham, NH.  
Just ask if there are more questions.
 Post Number: 8
cybri12 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 01 2012, 11:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi Kinder,

I hiked the east half of the loop 2 summers ago in July and really enjoyed it.  the weather in October will be much different than July so plan accordingly.  I really enjoyed it even though I did not have the greatest weather.

Here is a link that might provide you with some more information.  I am not sure when hunting season begins in that area so you might want to look into that as well.

http://www.matc.org/GraftonLoopTrail.htm

Enjoy your hike and post a trip report when you get back.

--------------
----------------------

7 replies since Aug. 19 2012, 10:30 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Grafton Loop Trail / Mt Washington
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions