2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Acadia National Park, must see and do< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
78richj Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2012, 2:39 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm going there next week. I don't much a lot of time but I will have 2 1/2 days there. I was wondering what are the must see and dos? Also where are the best pictures spots for cliffs besides otter cliffs? I want to do some nice photography there also some hiking ideas. I was thinking the precipice trail and also the south ridge cadillac mt trail
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2012, 7:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's all nice.  Cad mtn for sure.  All of the coast of Maine is stellar. Hard to mess that up.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 3
jmarklane Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2012, 9:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The entire island is awesome, although I generally avoid Bar Harbor.  Southwest Harbor is where we used to go (before I built a house on the mid-coast).  There's a nice trail along Somes Sound, not as dramatic as Cadillac etc, but also not usually as crowded and very pleasant.  Around Fernald Point up to Acadia Mountain.  Some tight ledges, nice breezes.  

As said, you can't go wrong, really.  Shouldn't be quite as touristy as in August, either.  Weather will be on the cool side.  Enjoy.  I miss it.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2012, 10:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

thanks. Is there a place I can view seals without going out on a boat?
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2012, 7:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(78richj @ Sep. 18 2012, 10:01 pm)

My back yard.  Almost got knocked out of my kayak by one.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2012, 10:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OK smartass!! I meant without paying to go out on one of those charter boats or whatever to take you to the coast of an island where there are seals laying on the rocks. Are there any along the coast of Mt Desert Island that you can get fairly close to photograph?
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2012, 11:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(78richj @ Sep. 19 2012, 10:01 pm)
OK smartass!! I meant without paying to go out on one of those charter boats or whatever to take you to the coast of an island where there are seals laying on the rocks. Are there any along the coast of Mt Desert Island that you can get fairly close to photograph?

Sorry!  I really don't know much about that part of the coast.  I am in so Maine.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 8
TheOldeRanger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2012, 7:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As with any national park, you should first stop at the Hull's Cover Visitor Center to receive an orientation to Acadia.  Watch the free movie in the auditorium to get an overview of the park.  Pick up a copy of the park brochure which contains a wonderful map of Acadia.  Also ask for a free copy of the Beaver Log, the park's official newspaper.  It will give you an idea of what ranger-naturalists programs are available for you to participate in if you so choose.  There is also a variety selection of books available on most topics associated with the park.  If you simply drive 27 mile long scenic Park Loop Road you will get a spectacular sampler of the island's coast and interior.  Be sure to stop at the various overlooks and parking areas to view some of the park's main features such as Sand Beach, Thunder Hole, Otter Cliffs.  Stop at the Jordan Pond House for their famous popovers and tea/coffee/lemonade and view Jordan Pond and The Bubbles, a geologic feature reminding visitors that the glacier had a tremendous influence on the formation of the park.  Proceed on making sure to turn onto the road leading to the top of Cadillac Mountain for panoramic views of Frenchman's Bay and the Porcupine Islands.
There's lots to do in Acadia - hike, walk, bike (ask for a map or book about the Carriage Roads), canoe, kayak, cruise (naturalist-led boat), carriage horse ride or simply viewing the unique scenery that is found in New England's only national park.  Plenty to do in the short time you plan on visiting.  You didn't mention the dates but early to  mid-October should be the peak fall foliage season.
Enjoy your visit.
 Post Number: 9
johnhens Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2012, 10:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(78richj @ Sep. 18 2012, 9:01 pm)

We camped at Seawall. Across from the CG entrance is a picnic area along the shore. If you go to the right and park as far to the right (near the culdesac) and look out,you will see a bar extending out. We saw seals basking in the sun at the end (need binnoculars). We also saw them in the various ports off the docks. Watch the tides as they seem to feed more on the high tide.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2012, 9:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

TheOldeRanger I did say when I was going.

Thanks johnhens. I'll check that out. Also what did you mean by various ports off the docks?
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2012, 10:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(78richj @ Sep. 23 2012, 8:03 pm)
Thanks johnhens. I'll check that out. Also what did you mean by various ports off the docks?

We saw seals while in Bar Harbor at the dock where the whale watch vessels dock, in Bernard at the Thurston's Lobster Pound (we watched a seal "fishing" while eating lobster there). In Southwest Harbor, we saw seals one morning off one of the docks near West Marine. Some's Sound was good also as was Seal Cove near the Bartlet Narrows. The little bays near the Ship Harbor Trail and Wonderland (near Seawall) were both 'seally' (the end of Wonderland was where we saw the seals (8) pull out one evening at low tide to sun themselves).

If you are a birder I can give some spots to hit also.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2012, 11:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wouldn't mind seeing those puffins because I never have seen them before. I'm leaving in a few hours and staying up there this week
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2012, 11:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

oh and thanks for the detail in spots to check out
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2012, 5:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(78richj @ Sep. 23 2012, 10:18 pm)
I wouldn't mind seeing those puffins because I never have seen them before. I'm leaving in a few hours and staying up there this week

From what I was told, to see puffins you need to get out on the water and go to the Islands where they nest. Their young are on their own now and they spend their life out in the ocean. Not too good of a chance to see them from shore.
Enjoy Acadia!!
 Post Number: 15
TheOldeRanger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2012, 1:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So you did!
Your welcome for the information.
If your reason for going to Acadia is to see seals, you've missed the boat.  Drive directly to Boston and visit the New England aquarium where you can see seals up close and personal.  
Acadia is MUCH more than just seals.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2012, 4:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm not just going to see seals.....lol. I'm an avid backpacker so I was going to do a lot there in the park. Thanks to all. I had an amazing trip there on the island visiting the park and all the small towns. Awesome! I think I took about 800 pictures..haha
 Post Number: 17
jmarklane Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2012, 9:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Awesome.  Can we see some of the pics?
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2012, 10:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

If I can figure out how to post pics on this forum I can upload some.
17 replies since Sep. 17 2012, 2:39 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Acadia National Park
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions