2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Shhhhh! Don't Disturb the Silence by, posting anything in the Northeast Forum< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 1:39 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

After a relatively lively 2012, I see things have gone back to the normal, boring state of affairs here in the NE forums.

I've got 3 new Adirondack trip reports in the Storytelling Forum... check them out.

I just started bowhunting this year, so I probably won't do much pure hiking in the next couple of months.

What have the rest of you slugs been doing? Any hiking plans we should know about?

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 3:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll be attempting my very first set of winter hikes this year.  Taken a while to accumulate some of the gear (probably need just another couple items if I plan on doing any multi-day trips), but I'm ready enough to embark on some day hikes as-is.  

AMC in Boston offers a "Winter Hiking" type education series...considering taking that.  I've done plenty of homework on hiking in the winter, but figured it couldn't hurt to hear some first-hand experiences and get involved in a couple group hikes for my first few times out in the White's during the winter months.

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 3
ki0eh Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 4:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll be hiking this weekend on the Crystal Hills Trail.
 Post Number: 4
Squilax Search for posts by this member.
Grumpy Old Bear

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 4:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Doing research for a tentative week long hike in the Whites next July. I really hope it pans out because that's my home area and I haven't been back for over 20 years.

--------------
Steve
 Post Number: 5
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 5:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Getting ready for a cold snowy winter.  Pulled the boat and kayaks out of the river.  Snowshoeing and skiing soon.  We really are the lamest section of this forum.  What is there like 5 of us?

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 6
Grumpy Old Bear

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 9:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bad knees @ Oct. 11 2012, 5:53 pm)
Getting ready for a cold snowy winter.  Pulled the boat and kayaks out of the river.  Snowshoeing and skiing soon.  We really are the lamest section of this forum.  What is there like 5 of us?

LOL!

This IS a quiet forum on bp.com.

I used to be active on the AMC Forums but posts there have dwindled lately. It's really difficult to get any responses within a couple of days on that board.

I miss snowshoeing. We used to look forward to that in Maine in January and February. That, along with snowmobiling and ice fishing. Ahhh... the memories of growing up in New England.

One of my tentative backpacking trips for next summer is to get up to NH for a week. My backup plan is to do the section of the AT from the PA border to Harpers Ferry, WV. Too early right now to finalize plans, but it's fun exploring the options.

--------------
Steve
 Post Number: 7
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 9:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Oct. 11 2012, 1:39 pm)
After a relatively lively 2012, I see things have gone back to the normal, boring state of affairs here in the NE forums.

I've got 3 new Adirondack trip reports in the Storytelling Forum... check them out.

I just started bowhunting this year, so I probably won't do much pure hiking in the next couple of months.

What have the rest of you slugs been doing? Any hiking plans we should know about?

Yeah, I read all about your trips...epic!!!  I plan on getting out within the next couple weeks, I will report back on that, though nothing in comparison to your awesome adventures...one day I hope too.  I also plan on some winter trips this year.

--------------
www.mybackpacking.blog.com

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 9:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

6  :D

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 9
Grumpy Old Bear

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 9:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(EastieTrekker @ Oct. 12 2012, 9:35 am)

haha!

I was born in Concord, Mass. and lived in Littleton. Grew up mostly in Mass and Maine but have been gone from NE for 40 years now. I miss it.

Bad Knees - where in Maine are you from? I lived in a little town called Denmark - one of the towns listed on that famous signpost... Not far from Sebago Lake.

--------------
Steve
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 1:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Squilax @ Oct. 12 2012, 9:41 am)

haha!

I was born in Concord, Mass. and lived in Littleton. Grew up mostly in Mass and Maine but have been gone from NE for 40 years now. I miss it.

Bad Knees - where in Maine are you from? I lived in a little town called Denmark - one of the towns listed on that famous signpost... Not far from Sebago Lake.

I live on the back channel of the Piscataqua river in Kittery.  Very southern.  Looking for a lake/Mtn house to go to on the weekends so we can ski  in the winter and boat in the summer.  So many lakes in this state.  Looking up towards Moosehead lake.  And the west coast of Maine.  I have been here for 2 years and freaking love it.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 11
Grumpy Old Bear

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2012, 6:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I lived right across the road from the dam at the foot of Moose Pond. Pond? 11 Miles long... and pretty deep at the upper end.

Loved it there. Many memories of my younger years.

--------------
Steve
 Post Number: 12
JasPL Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 21 2012, 6:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What is there like 5 of us?

7  :D
We'll see what this winter brings. I bought a set of micro spikes last year and never got to use them....
 Post Number: 13
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2012, 9:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I want to be a Northeastener!!!

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
 Post Number: 14
solowalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2012, 12:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikingFF77 @ Oct. 22 2012, 9:31 am)
I want to be a Northeastener!!!

i dont know if you are boreing enough. :p
 Post Number: 15
solowalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 6:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

shhhhhhh! baby's sleeping.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 6:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(solowalker @ Nov. 20 2012, 6:12 pm)
shhhhhhh! baby's sleeping.

yep we are so lame.  I was watching and waiting for somebody to post something of importance.  thanks.  Goodnight ???

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 17
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 2:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JasPL @ Oct. 21 2012, 6:04 pm)
We'll see what this winter brings. I bought a set of micro spikes last year and never got to use them....

yes, I got myself some nice snow shoes last year for Christmas and never got to wear them either...

I need snow DAMNIT!!!!

--------------
www.mybackpacking.blog.com

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 2:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm unhappy to report that I am about to go to the hospital to see if I have fractured my foot...

I took part in one of those Spartan Races this past Sunday (it was actually completely within Fenway Park, so it was pretty cool), and made it within 10 yards of the finish line when one of those f'ing American Gladiator pricks whacked me with those double-sided fugal sticks, and knocked me of my feet.  Somehow I landed funny, and I think the knuckle of my big toe may be fractured.

Cross your fingers Team Northeast.  Otherwise, all this winter gear I bought will go unused this year...

--------------
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 5:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Update (not that ya'll were putting the world on hold for my results) :)
No broken bones!!! Just a good sprain and bone bruise. Winter hiking here I come!!!

--------------
 Post Number: 20
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 5:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Oct. 11 2012, 1:39 pm)

So, how did your first season with bow go?
 Post Number: 21
2Dogs1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 25 2012, 8:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think theres more than 5 or 6 that are active in the NE - But the change of seasons bring a change in activities / for me i completed 1500+/- miles of hiking backpacking in 8 months / Now ski season is upon us so it'll be BC snowshoeing for sweet fresh Pow runs - Earn your turns - anyone can ride a lift
 Post Number: 22
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 11:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Nov. 21 2012, 5:57 pm)
So, how did your first season with bow go?

My opportunities are few and far between right now. Since I didn't take my safety classes until late summer, I never lined up any access with local landowners and didn't scout State land. Plus, every other weekend I've had yard projects to finish or family committments. Plus I've had a killer commute during the season (hopefully ending next week).

That said, I've seen more than my partners. But so far, no shots taken. One particularly slow day, I decided to stalk some bedding grounds (meadow). I stirred up a couple does. I followed the larger one that re-bedded in a small meadow in the middle of a hardwood forest. I jumped her again. She was about 40 yards out, and froze. She wasn't presenting well, so I continued stalking towards a lone tree about 20 yards away. I was doing great, then about 5 yards from the tree... SNAP! Damn branch...

The fact that I've seen more than my experienced partners bodes well though. Perhaps all my years of noting deer behaviour while hiking will pay dividends. I'll continue bow hunting through firearms and late bow seasons. Wish me luck!

Somewhat related... two wild boars were killed in Utica a couple weeks ago. I saw a couple near Cortland about 5 years ago, and near the Thruway this past August. Are they invading western NY, too?

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
21 replies since Oct. 11 2012, 1:39 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Shhhhh! Don't Disturb the Silence by
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions