2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Question: What's the temp rating :: Total Votes:18
Poll choices Votes Statistics
20F 1  [5.56%]
10F 1  [5.56%]
0F 6  [33.33%]
-10F 0  [0.00%]
-20F 6  [33.33%]
I don't camp in the winter 1  [5.56%]
Other (please explain below) 3  [16.67%]
Guests cannot vote

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: What's the temp rating, on your cold weather bag< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 3:49 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey all,

This may have been better for the Gear Section, but I really only wanted NE backpackers to respond.

I'm just curious how warm your current cold weather bag is rated to.  This is going to be my next big purchase, and I'm just trying to get a sense on what other folks are using in the NE - double points if you backpack in the Whites!

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 3:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

-20 bag for the Adks, and I've needed it. Granted, you could bail if it's forecast to be extreme cold, but what's the fun in that?

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 3:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Oct. 23 2012, 3:52 pm)
-20 bag for the Adks, and I've needed it.

Yeah - that's the temp rating I'm currently considering.  I figured it would get me through most winter situations, and if it's supposed to be any colder, well, I'll just stay indoors  :D

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 4
Squilax Search for posts by this member.
Grumpy Old Bear

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 5:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lowest temp I ever camped in was 3*F.  That was cold enough. LOL

--------------
Steve
 Post Number: 5
vinovampire Search for posts by this member.
Winter is Coming

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 6:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I also have a -20 degree sleeping bag for winter backpacking in NE. It's bulky and forces me to use a larger backpack than a 0 degree would require, but it will should cover me in almost any winter situation in NE.

Good luck with your selection.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 6:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the feedback so far (I know we won't get too much more in our personnel light section of the backpacker forums  :) )

Just in the interest of full disclosure, I won't be here updating my purchase in a couple weeks.  I plan on getting the best that I can afford (which will requiring some saving), so I will probably rent from REI for at least my first couple trips this winter.  But your opinions are still highly valued!!

--------------
 Post Number: 7
ki0eh Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 8:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

0 but I wish it were a bit colder rated for heading north (from the mid-Atlantic, for me)
 Post Number: 8
solowalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 10:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i have both a 0 deg. and a -20 deg. depends on the trip i'm going on.
 Post Number: 9
SnidelyWhiplash Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2012, 12:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm in the same boat, checking out -20* bags.  I haven't done any winter camping in about 20 years, so all my winter stuff is gone or is no good.  I'm taking the winter backing program with AMC this year, so I'm sure they'll get me up to speed on gear.
 Post Number: 10
Fox Search for posts by this member.
proudly deviating from the norm

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2012, 6:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use a 0* bag for my winter nights and go heavy on my ground cover. Using a closed cell pad and an inflatable along with a nylon tarp on the floor of my tent. I usually bring and wear an expedition weight base layer on really cold nights.

Somehow I have convinced myself that all this stuff is lighter than a -20 bag.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2012, 9:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SnidelyWhiplash @ Oct. 24 2012, 12:51 am)
I'm taking the winter backing program with AMC this year, so I'm sure they'll get me up to speed on gear.

Nice! I'll see you there.

--------------
 Post Number: 12
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.
A different kind of rebel...

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 7:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you can stand the strange, (and apparently vintage,) design, check out GoLite's Women's Adrenaline 0° Long bag in the clearance section.

I haven't had a chance to use it, but I'm 5'8", 160# and it fits fine.

The strange, (apparently vintage,) design is that it has a 1/2 chest zipper. Easy enough to get in and out of, as I've tested in a controlled environment, my bedroom floor.

But for a 0°, 850 FP down bag, $200 is a pretty great deal.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 13
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2012, 11:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm taking the winter backing program with AMC this year, so I'm sure they'll get me up to speed on gear.

You'll need a -20 bag or they'll send you home.

They have their manual on line and it is pretty specific gear wise.

What dates are you guys looking at?  I have been tempted to take this for quite a while

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2012, 11:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wcolucci @ Oct. 30 2012, 11:23 am)

You'll need a -20 bag or they'll send you home.

They have their manual on line and it is pretty specific gear wise.

What dates are you guys looking at?  I have been tempted to take this for quite a while

I'm taking the course offered in Boston, and it starts Nov. 7.  Not sure when other location's classes begin...

I did see the manual and the -20 bag on the list - though I wasn't sure if it was a requirement or suggestion.  Might be a little more expensive than a 0 degree, but will definitely give me a little more peace of mind anyway.

Bigsilk - I appreciate the suggestion, and had read through your thought process on purchasing that bag in your thread.  That's a killer deal (and I too, being 5'6", don't mind womens/kids if it saves some $$), but in this case it's starting to look like I will need to go with a -20 degree bag.

--------------
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2012, 3:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm sorry, I thought you were talking about the one offered by the Adirondack club.

Just click on ignore like most do on these forums... :)

--------------
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2012, 4:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wcolucci @ Oct. 31 2012, 3:44 pm)
I'm sorry, I thought you were talking about the one offered by the Adirondack club.

Just click on ignore like most do on these forums... :)

Haha, no worries.  Your input is valued nonetheless!

--------------
 Post Number: 17
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 4:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Marmot CWM membrain -40....I hope one day I get to use this sucker.

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 18
Winter is Coming

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 8:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GottaGamble @ Nov. 28 2012, 4:27 pm)
Marmot CWM membrain -40....I hope one day I get to use this sucker.

Hopefully you never get to use a -40 degree bag in the Northeast. If it ever gets that cold around here, I may have to move down to FL with the country club set.  :;):

Where are you thinking about using that bag?! Somewhere exciting I hope.
 Post Number: 19
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2012, 6:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, for sure..I got a really good deal on it and couldn't pass it up. I was thinking ahead into the future that one day I will get to do some serious winter asscents...and I figured that would be a key piece of gear needed. Like I said..hopefully I get to put it to good use in the coming years..I know its overkill for here in Northeast, as it seems I could use a -20 bag  and be set, so if I REALLY neeed to I could probably sell it and get what I needed...or I could just use it and sleep naked..lol.

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 20
Burner973 Search for posts by this member.
Walk it off

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 9:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a -15 and a 0 degree bag for cold weather. Love my Kelty 0 degree.

--------------
"A map is the greatest of all epic poems. Its lines and colors show the realization of great dreams." Gilbert H. Grosvenor

Peeps who keep repeating there posts sound like this after the second time, DERPA DERP UHHHHH DERPA.
 Post Number: 21
Woody48 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2013, 11:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In the Whites you will want a -20 bag for winter.  For mid to late spring and mid-autumn I will use a zero bag.

--------------
Woody's Pictures
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2013, 12:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Woody48 @ Mar. 02 2013, 11:43 pm)
In the Whites you will want a -20 bag for winter.  For mid to late spring and mid-autumn I will use a zero bag.

Haha, this thread still lives?!?  Appreciate the advice, belated as it is  :;):

To close the loop, I went with and now own a nice -20 degree bag (picture in my Great Gulf trip report).  It worked out very well, though I never did have to test its rating, as I think my coldest night this year was maybe 0.

For now, my only other bag is a 32 degree, which I'm comfortable pushing its limit with the right clothing/layering.  Sort of a big gap in temp range, but I can always use the -20 degree quilt style for any temps that are too warm to be zipped up completely and too cold for my 32 degree bag.

--------------
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 06 2013, 5:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It lives indeed...funny, I forgot about this thread.

I ended up w/ a nice Mountain Hardwear Lamina -30.  It was between that or the -15.

What did you end up with?

Now we should try and get together and use these suckers

--------------
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 06 2013, 5:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wcolucci @ Mar. 06 2013, 5:17 pm)
It lives indeed...funny, I forgot about this thread.

I ended up w/ a nice Mountain Hardwear Lamina -30.  It was between that or the -15.

What did you end up with?

Now we should try and get together and use these suckers

I went with the Marmot Col -20.  Got a nice discount on it (20%) through a small outdoor shop in Boston that's sort of, kinda affiliated with AMC's Winter Hiking Program.  

Love the thing.  I sleep hot though, so honestly I've been on the warm side with it (a good thing, of course).  Gotta get a compression sack for it, though.  The stuff sack that came with it, doesn't get it as small as it could be.

Funny thing, one of the trips I went on with the AMC, a girl had the MH Lamina -30.  That night it got down to 10 degrees or so (maybe flirting with single-digit temps briefly).  Well, she woke up the next morning with plenty to say about how "poorly" the bag performed.

I'm not saying this to discourage you, more to show how much individual body heat regulation matters. She mentioned being cold the entire trip, even when working hard, uphill in snowshoes with a full overnight backpack.  Maybe she needs some meat on her bones, not to mention the fact that she said she did wake up in a sweat a couple times (which is probably the real reason she felt cold all night).  But really, I have heard many, many good things about the Lamina and temp rating was never an issue for anyone else I have talked to.  I almost went with it myself!!

--------------
 Post Number: 25
Winter is Coming

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 07 2013, 8:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(EastieTrekker @ Mar. 06 2013, 5:25 pm)
Funny thing, one of the trips I went on with the AMC, a girl had the MH Lamina -30.  That night it got down to 10 degrees or so (maybe flirting with single-digit temps briefly).  Well, she woke up the next morning with plenty to say about how "poorly" the bag performed.

I'm not saying this to discourage you, more to show how much individual body heat regulation matters. She mentioned being cold the entire trip, even when working hard, uphill in snowshoes with a full overnight backpack.  Maybe she needs some meat on her bones, not to mention the fact that she said she did wake up in a sweat a couple times (which is probably the real reason she felt cold all night).  But really, I have heard many, many good things about the Lamina and temp rating was never an issue for anyone else I have talked to.  I almost went with it myself!!

I don't/wouldn't trust comments about the warmth of a sleeping bag from a novice backpacker. There are too many variables, including misunderstood expectations. Based on what you wrote, I suspect that her bag was way too warm, so she got hot and sweaty, then opened her bag up and got cold (repeat this cycle all night).
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 07 2013, 9:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(vinovampire @ Mar. 07 2013, 8:37 am)

(EastieTrekker @ Mar. 06 2013, 5:25 pm)

I don't/wouldn't trust comments about the warmth of a sleeping bag from a novice backpacker. There are too many variables, including misunderstood expectations. Based on what you wrote, I suspect that her bag was way too warm, so she got hot and sweaty, then opened her bag up and got cold (repeat this cycle all night).

I'm totally in agreement Vino, and that's what I was trying to imply.  Apologies if it didn't come off that way.  I was just trying to show that I was able to sleep quite comfortably in my -20 degree bag (in fact I slept most of the night with it partially unzipped to prevent overheating) and that someone else with a -30 degree bag, that comes with a really good reputation, was unable to sleep comfortably (i.e. cold) because she wasn't regulating properly.  I also recall her saying she didn't drink any water throughout the night for fear of having to leave the confines of her tent to go to the little mountaineer's room.

I've seen people use the MH bag, and speak about it highly.  Sorry for any confusion in my previous post!

--------------
 Post Number: 27
Winter is Coming

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 07 2013, 11:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for following up, EastieTrekker. I caught your skepticism, but I figured it would be worth adding a bit of speculation on my part as to the possible cause of her discomfort.

When people complain of being "cold" in a brand new sleeping bag, there seem to be just a handful of common mistakes. Based on my experiences/observations, besides using a bag that is not suited for the temps encountered on a trip, the three most common issues seem to be the following: (a) not using a sleeping pad or using one with insufficient R-value; (b) over-venting by leaving the zipper open at night; and © going to bed wet/cold.

Also, I want to add that your posts in the NE forum, including this one, are quite thoughtful and interesting.
26 replies since Oct. 23 2012, 3:49 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply What's the temp rating
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions