2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Small Lakeside Cabins for Large Group< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
northshorehc Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2013, 12:30 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Every year a group of us goes car camping and we're thinking about doing something a bit different this year.

There are about 6-7 couples and 8 kids between 5 and 13.

One thought we had is to rent small cabins on a lake (preferably within 3 hours North of Boston).

I know this might be a challenge but does anyone know of a place that does this?

Or, any other fun alternatives to the basic car camping weekend?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
null Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2013, 1:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There are some cabins right on Ponkapaug Pond by the Blue Hills.  They're only about 10 miles South of Boston, but might be something you're looking for.

--------------
Lose Weight Backpacking
http://www.fitpacking.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2013, 1:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks. That sounds like a nice place however I meant to say somewhere in NH or ME (within 3 hrs drive from Boston).

Sorry about that. I can see how I worded that funny.

I'm glad you told me about this. It's interesting what exists in my own backyard (around Boston).
 Post Number: 4
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2013, 4:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Google "maine cabin rental". Or if you know where you want to go, contact the local tourism board.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 5
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2013, 4:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.northernoutdoors.com/site/cabin-rentals.html

I live in Maine,and have been to some lakes and camped.  I have the atlas and can look closely for you if you zero in on one.
Just let me know

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2013, 5:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks. Can you check out the ones on Wyman Lake? Says they have 6 cabins.

It's under the Lakeside Cabin photo link. They just show the interior mostly.

Thank you WWBF (walks with black flies). I'll check those out.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2013, 6:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(northshorehc @ Mar. 04 2013, 5:00 pm)
Thanks. Can you check out the ones on Wyman Lake? Says they have 6 cabins.

It's under the Lakeside Cabin photo link. They just show the interior mostly.

Thank you WWBF (walks with black flies). I'll check those out.

when are you planning this stay?

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2013, 6:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We haven't decided on a date yet. Usually its between late July and late August.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2013, 7:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(northshorehc @ Mar. 04 2013, 6:52 pm)
We haven't decided on a date yet. Usually its between late July and late August.

Ok.  Big difference.  Most of Maine is shut down now.  200 inches of snow will do it.  Give me a bit and I will so some research.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2013, 8:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok, thanks.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2013, 8:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's strange, but I can't find any info on it.  It isn't in the atlas either.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2013, 9:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok, thanks for trying. I might end up calling them to find out where on Wyman Lake they are and then check the site out on Google Earth.

Seems like kind of a long shot since we only just starting decide on the type of trip and book a weekend. I think starting January would have been better for something like this.

Thanks for your help.
 Post Number: 13
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2013, 9:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you have trouble reserving a cabin, another option would be to rent a condo at one of the ski resorts. That's what we did in college one year... dirt cheap because there was no demand.

Also, a 4-5 hour drive could get you to nearly anywhere in the Adks.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2013, 10:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well it is in Moscow.  I can't get much info other than it is on the Kennebec river where it forms Lake Wyman.  I can say it is a very pretty area.  Probably see a moose or two.  Baker mtn ski resort is there, but I don't think they have any lodges to stay at.  Not a big ski area, so to speak.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 15
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2013, 10:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not sure if it's what your looking for, but I just stayed at Pemi Cabins on the River in Lincoln, NH.  My cabin was literally just steps from the Pemigewasset River.  Lincoln is just minutes from all sorts of summer activities in the White Mtns: hiking (less than 15 mins from at least 5, 4000ft mountains (Cannon, Flume, Liberty, Lincoln, and Lafayette - not to mention tons of other beautiful valley hikes).  

I'm not sure how "rustic" you want the cabins to be, since this is a typical car camp for you, but these cabins go from pretty basic (but all have at least a TV) to a fully equipped kitchen in some.  So you won't be "roughing it" by any stretch of the imagination.

Anyway, I have no affiliation with these guys.  I just recently stayed with them for a ski trip, and was completely happy with my stay.  So much so that me and the gal will be making a trip up there again this summer (I believe each cabin has an outdoor grill as well).  Oh and they accept dogs, bonus!

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice. ???
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2013, 4:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks WWBF. Because this is for a large group I don't think a condo will work. I think everyone wants to have separate sites or cabins for the weekend.

BK, thanks for the heads up on the beauty of the location. This sounds pretty nice. I'll definitely be looking into this further.

EastieTrekker, thanks for the info on the Pemi Cabins. I never heard of these before. Both this and the Wyman Lake cabins sound nice. The Pemi Cabins might work for the group too. I'll check those out.
15 replies since Mar. 04 2013, 12:30 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Small Lakeside Cabins for Large Group
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions