2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: just got power back, now i can do laundry< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
solowalker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 6:36 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

how did the rest of you north easters make out?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 6:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Glad you're back online.  Maryland dodged most of it, just lots of rain and about 14 hours of terrible wind.  We missed the storm surge though for the most part.

--------------
You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 7:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

thats good to hear, i was very lucky to just have no lights for a few days, some people lost every thing thay own and some lost there lives, i'm still waiting to hear from some friends and famely to see how thay are. i know gottagamble is from hear on long island, hope all is good for him and his, and everyone else hear in the east
 Post Number: 4
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 8:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

yeah I feel very lucky.  Dodged a bullet.  Hard to watch the destruction.  Only lost power for a few hours.  The highest tide I have seen here!

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2012, 10:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

glad to hear you are ok, i was hopeing to only lose power for an hour or two like in irene but that was not the case, thank god thats all i can bitch about (and i'm not) tomorrow i'm going to my cousins house to drop off gas and anything else i can dig up, maybe some candy for the kids cause thay did not get a halloween.
 Post Number: 6
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2012, 12:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's good news solowalker.

I almost feel guilty for saying it, but Sandy was the biggest dud of all time in Syracuse. Maybe 1" of rain, and enough wind to move the leaves around. We were perfectly placed between the cold front and the hurricane, and only took glancing blows from each. The most memorable thing that happened was a weird pink sky:  

http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin....1161082

But Sandy isn't quite through yet. This entire week has been cold temps, low clouds, and light rain/sleet. It doesn't appear we'll be free of Sandy until next Monday.

Has the weather cleared down there?

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 7
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2012, 12:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Glad to know you are all safe, hope your friends and families are also.  I haven't been able to reach my friend in Lyndhurst, NY.  does anyone know how that area fared?
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2012, 2:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Nov. 02 2012, 12:28 pm)
That's good news solowalker.

I almost feel guilty for saying it, but Sandy was the biggest dud of all time in Syracuse. Maybe 1" of rain, and enough wind to move the leaves around. We were perfectly placed between the cold front and the hurricane, and only took glancing blows from each. The most memorable thing that happened was a weird pink sky:  

http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin....1161082

But Sandy isn't quite through yet. This entire week has been cold temps, low clouds, and light rain/sleet. It doesn't appear we'll be free of Sandy until next Monday.

Has the weather cleared down there?

yea the weather has not been too bad since wednesday, cooler temp's but that's about it.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2012, 2:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(llamapacker @ Nov. 02 2012, 12:44 pm)
Glad to know you are all safe, hope your friends and families are also.  I haven't been able to reach my friend in Lyndhurst, NY.  does anyone know how that area fared?

i think that's near tarrytown,ny. i have not heard anything about it, but it is near the hudson. hope you hear from him/her soon.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2012, 5:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks solowalker, I did hear from him shortly after I posted.  My mistake, he is in Lindinhurst.  They are all safe, but lots of flooding from the surge and the electricity is still out.  The gas is on so they have hot water.   Relatively good news.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 03 2012, 12:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(llamapacker @ Nov. 02 2012, 5:50 pm)
Thanks solowalker, I did hear from him shortly after I posted.  My mistake, he is in Lindinhurst.  They are all safe, but lots of flooding from the surge and the electricity is still out.  The gas is on so they have hot water.   Relatively good news.

glad to hear your friend is ok, yea lindinhurst LI got hit in different ways, south of montauk hway. got hit bad and north of it was a roll of the dice with the wind and rain like my area. some did good and other's not so mutch. and still haveing hot water is a good thing. at least that is what i told my self.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 03 2012, 1:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hope it gets better for you before it gets worse .  Be safe.

Hot water is a good thing, it should not be taken for granted.  I'm remember the Little League World Series team from Africa that was overwhelmed by having running water in their hotel room.  We are very fortunate in this country and I'm encouraged we pull together in hard times.
 Post Number: 13
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2012, 8:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For me in Park Slope in Brooklyn, a near non-event. There's a shipping canal a couple of blocks from me that overflowed, did some flood damage, but didn't get close to me. Never lost electricity, heat, water, or comms.

Both of the subways I use to get to work, however, have been suspended the whole time. I can work from home, though.

On Friday I went to my girlfriend's house. A trip that normally takes an hour? 2:45.

And yeah, temps are dropping. Worried about the folks without heat.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 10:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I see another storm is heading your way. :(

We're STILL dealing with Sandy... more low clouds and light rain/snow. I surveyed the woods behind my house and noticed that 3 trees are damaged. One was already dead... I was just leaving it for the woodpeckers. It broke at the top and split down the middle. It's hanging towards the power lines, so this evening I plan on felling it in the other direction. A big willow snapped in half, getting caught up in a smaller maple. I felled the maple yesterday afternoon to allow the whole thing to fall. Interesting that the part of the willow that fell into the creek had already been entirely stripped by beavers.

--------------
 Post Number: 15
ki0eh Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 10:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dimly recall hearing that willow is like candy to beavers. Aspirin was (originally at least) from willow bark.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 10:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good... maybe they'll leave my other trees alone.

--------------
 Post Number: 17
ki0eh Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 11:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think that works like the ice cream at the buffet, the AYCEers eat plenty of ice cream but also much else besides. :D
 Post Number: 18
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 2:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Today is Monday November 5..still no power for me. I am at work writing this. Power went out last monday at 2 pm. 7 days...Thank God I have a fire place to keep house cozy and all my camping gear to cook and stay warm.

--------------
www.mybackpacking.blog.com

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 4:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GottaGamble @ Nov. 05 2012, 2:05 pm)
Today is Monday November 5..still no power for me. I am at work writing this. Power went out last monday at 2 pm. 7 days...Thank God I have a fire place to keep house cozy and all my camping gear to cook and stay warm.

glad to hear you are ok, one of my cousins got his power back on last night but my other cousin that lives a mile and a half away, if that, still no power. crazy. stay warm and good luck.
 Post Number: 20
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 07 2012, 5:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hope you are all holding up okay with the additional snow that's happening right now.  

I'm late to the party, but Boston was lucky and was largely unscathed by Sandy, and apparently this storm, as well.

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 21
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 07 2012, 9:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I got my power back on Monday night..then it went out again this morning(Wednesday)...ho-hum. I am spending the night at work and getting paid straight through the night all over time pay..to make sure my building is ok. Just as well as I heard that my train from Penn Station to Long Island got stuck up in Queens Village and after over an hour and half delay, had to go back to Jamaica terminal!!! All trains were cancelled and Penn station was closed!!! Haaa--I never would have made it home today any-how. The city is quiet now, some snow falling, but no wind. I hear its windy at home on LI and snow is falling also. Wife called a little while ago, and surprise!!!-----power is back on for now. Lets see what tonight brings.

--------------
www.mybackpacking.blog.com

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 22
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 12:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We were estimated for restoration between 11/11 and 11/14, but that was before the latest storm, which seems to have set them back a few days.

I like this quote from the JCP&L outage site:

JCP&L's best forecast is that the remaining 177,000 customers will be restored by Saturday, November 10. There may be isolated pockets of customers located in inaccessible areas or who have individual flooding or downed line issues that will take longer.

I must be one of the "isolated pockets of customers".  It makes me feel like an Amazonian tribesman, wearing only a loincloth and living in a shelter made of sticks and leaves.  They don't understand my language, so I must communicate through gestures.  I'm giving them a gesture right now.
 Post Number: 23
camper10469 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 10:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Power is back on as of a few days ago but gas is a real PIA to get around here. I have 1/4 tank n holding out till all the working stiffs get their fill.. I take the train n busses everywhere. It was fun to sit around for days (nights) by the soft glow of candles n my MP3 player like we do at the campfires. My wife was trippin though.. she's not into this sitting around by the fire crap she says. I tried dancing with her a few times but it didn't cheer her up for too long.  I liked the snuggeling though.

Now we have snow to contend with.. I love it!.. Thanks Snowie n WWBF lady o duh lake. My neighbor is spitting blood at just the thought of shoveling again. Sorry Phill.. I put up with your got dam heat n humidity you call nice weather... now it's my turn to enjoy the otherwise nasty weather I love so much.. SNOW!

So lets get those snowshoes out n start haunting the woods again.. SoLow wants to try his brandie new shoes this year so lets be sure to get some real snow WWBF?.. bring it on man!

big foot is waiting for us.

See you guys on the trails this year?

I'm stoked.

--------------
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 10 2012, 7:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

you said SNUGGELING. :laugh:
 Post Number: 25
JoeinCT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 2:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

62 degrees and sunny....No snow in our forecast....Too bad Camper,  we'll have to wait a while. :D

--------------
Remember--Pack out more than you pack in.

Joe
 Post Number: 26
JasPL Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 25 2012, 9:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Solo, Camper and everyone else, Im glad to hear you guys are alright. I was wondering about you guys.
with that said..... let go hiking! Im all ears!!
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 11:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(camper10469 @ Nov. 08 2012, 10:19 pm)
Now we have snow to contend with.. I love it!.. Thanks Snowie n WWBF lady o duh lake. My neighbor is spitting blood at just the thought of shoveling again. Sorry Phill.. I put up with your got dam heat n humidity you call nice weather... now it's my turn to enjoy the otherwise nasty weather I love so much.. SNOW!

So lets get those snowshoes out n start haunting the woods again.. SoLow wants to try his brandie new shoes this year so lets be sure to get some real snow WWBF?.. bring it on man!

Glad that things are back to "normal".

The Lady woke up this weekend after a very long snooze. She was even sending flake to Spindle (near Philly) and the NYC area. Impressive for a first snow of the season. They're forecasting ~20" in the Tug Hill. Only a couple of inches in my area... but I'll take it!

I'll have to see if I can schedule a Lake Effect hike up here sometime this winter so that you southerners can experience some serious flake.

--------------
 Post Number: 28
camper10469 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 11:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh yea I snorted all the flake you sent last time but it didn't do anyting for me.. better send the good sheit next time buddy boy..

we're nuyokahs, we need duh good $hit yo!

no wut im sayin?

Solo ready for a tromp in duh wood to get our asses in gear?

BTW e-mails for Saranac was sent.. we are good for July 27-aug 1.

Also 3500 Frost Valley weekend of snow n fun.... Jan 25-27... $125 for a weekend in a heated cabin.. anyone intersted in joining us.. e-me very soon it sells out fast?

Ask Solo about it if you need details he was there last year, we had a blast.
Coldfeet will be with us too.. bagels!

anyway that's all the news fit to print.. gone fishing!

--------------
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 11:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(camper10469 @ Nov. 27 2012, 11:12 am)
Oh yea I snorted all the flake you sent last time but it didn't do anyting for me.. better send the good sheit next time buddy boy..

we're nuyokahs, we need duh good $hit yo!

no wut im sayin?

Solo ready for a tromp in duh wood to get our asses in gear?

BTW e-mails for Saranac was sent.. we are good for July 27-aug 1.

Also 3500 Frost Valley weekend of snow n fun.... Jan 25-27... $125 for a weekend in a heated cabin.. anyone intersted in joining us.. e-me very soon it sells out fast?

Ask Solo about it if you need details he was there last year, we had a blast.
Coldfeet will be with us too.. bagels!

anyway that's all the news fit to print.. gone fishing!

dude, i cant wait for this trip.  hope i can use my snowshoes this time.
28 replies since Nov. 01 2012, 6:36 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply just got power back
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions