2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Who got out in the NE this Week?, December 2012< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
vinovampire Search for posts by this member.
Winter is Coming

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 8:19 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So, who got out for a hike or backpacking trip in the Northeast this week? What did you do? How were the conditions on those days? Do you have any pictures or quick stories to share? As others have pointed out, the Northeast Forum has been a bit quiet lately, so maybe talking trips will get some discussion going and inspire some future trips!

I'll start: On December 1, four of us did the "classic" hike of Camels Hump in Vermont via Burrows Trail. It's a nice spur trail that's 4.8 miles round trip with an elevation gain of 2200 feet. On that day, there were about 2 to 4 inches of snow, with deeper snow drifts of up to a foot. We used light traction devices, but they weren't required and we didn't need snowshoes.

On the summit, there were gale force winds and blowing chunks of ice were hitting us in the face pretty good. Unfortunately, since it was our first winter hike of the season, the other three guys didn't remember to bring goggles or neoprene masks, so we couldn't stay on top for very long. So, this hike also served as a good shakedown trip to remind us what's missing from our packs this season. For me, this trip was a good reminder of how to both (a) layer and (b) control your hiking speed in order to not overheat. At the beginning of the hike, I made the classic mistake of starting with too many layers and hiking too fast. Halfway up the mountain, I made some good adjustments in layers, vented my jacket better, and slowed down.

Overall, it was a perfect first hike of the season!

Approaching the Summit of Camels Hump in Vermont on Dec 1, 2012

Please feel free to share some of your trips in the Northeast this December here in this tread. Doesn't have to be a long report, maybe just a picture or a quick sentence or two. It would be great to hear about some of the adventures that others here are taking this winter!

- :angry: ino  :angry: ampire
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
solowalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 10:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

wish i could say i got out, but i did not. maybe this week. so what kind of light traction device do you use? microspikes?
 Post Number: 3
Winter is Coming

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 7:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(solowalker @ Dec. 02 2012, 10:25 am)
wish i could say i got out, but i did not. maybe this week. so what kind of light traction device do you use? microspikes?

Solo - I'm hoping that we can keep this thread going for the month of December to share and inspire each other here on the NE Forum. Hope you get out next weekend!

I've been using Microspikes for the past few years (along with snowshoes and 12-point crampons). They seem to work well on icy, gentle slopes without too much snow or wet snow.  Three of us were wearing them and the one guy who wasn't was slipping and sliding quite a bit.
 Post Number: 4
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 8:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nothing as adventurous as your trip.  Just a day hike in Allegany State Park with some friends.

Post Number: 5
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 11:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Waiting on my turf toe to heal, but I think I'm getting out in the White Mtns in two weeks.  Plan is a not too long (5mi) hike up Mt. Tecumseh (the ski resort on the same mountain is known as Waterville Valley).  Same idea for that hike - get adjusted to winter hiking gear/clothing wise.  I'll check back in then with a few pictures.  Here's to an active winter for all!

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 6
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 12:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Instead of hiking, I dug-out our septic tank access port and installed a riser. I then tended to our garbage/compost piles. Good times, good times.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 2:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Dec. 03 2012, 12:30 pm)
Instead of hiking, I dug-out our septic tank access port and installed a riser. I then tended to our garbage/compost piles. Good times, good times.

why you braging all the time.  :laugh:
 Post Number: 8
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 2:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Braggin'... good lord.  I'm ashamed to say I have to do the same thing.  Actually in two places.  Just don't know when.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 10:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

bunch of show offs if ya ask me.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 8:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Maybe I'll write-up a TR.

--------------
 Post Number: 11
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 8:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Please don't.  However work instructions for later down the road might be more helpful for me.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
 Post Number: 12
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 4:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(vinovampire @ Dec. 02 2012, 8:19 am)

On the summit, there were gale force winds and blowing chunks of ice were hitting us in the face pretty good. Unfortunately, since it was our first winter hike of the season, the other three guys didn't remember to bring goggles or neoprene masks

What goggles would you recommend? Just curious because looking at goggles I have found hundreds of different pairs and prices. Not looking to spend an insane amount but I would like to get a pair that will last a long time and serve me well...

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 13
Winter is Coming

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 6:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GottaGamble @ Dec. 05 2012, 4:22 pm)

(vinovampire @ Dec. 02 2012, 8:19 am)

On the summit, there were gale force winds and blowing chunks of ice were hitting us in the face pretty good. Unfortunately, since it was our first winter hike of the season, the other three guys didn't remember to bring goggles or neoprene masks

What goggles would you recommend? Just curious because looking at goggles I have found hundreds of different pairs and prices. Not looking to spend an insane amount but I would like to get a pair that will last a long time and serve me well...

I have a pair of Julbo Apollo Goggles. Actually, they're the goggles that I'm wearing on Mt Washington in my avatar. I really like them and I got them on sale, which is always nice.  Right now they're on sale for $20 at my favorite outdoor shop (and they can be ordered online too).

Good luck with your search!
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 7:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow!!! My kinda deal. Thankyou very much. I will have to check em out..

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 15
Winter is Coming

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 8:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GottaGamble @ Dec. 05 2012, 7:56 pm)
Wow!!! My kinda deal. Thankyou very much. I will have to check em out..

Ha! I love a great deal on good stuff! I think you'll enjoy those goggles. They're still serving me well!
 Post Number: 16
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 09 2012, 1:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just got back from a 6 mile hike in a local forest with a large group of club members.  Despite the size of the group it was a good hike.  High 30's, sun poked through the clouds a few times, but no rain.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 1:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wicked pumped! Tomorrow I have a nice day off from work to tie up some loose ends with my Christmas shopping, but more importantly getting one last day of (relative) rest before tomorrow's hike!  Turf toe isn't completely healed, but it feels substantially better, and the stiff winter boots should keep it pretty stabilized.  Look for some photos here Sat night/Sun morning!

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 2:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

have fun..

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 19
Winter is Coming

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2012, 10:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(EastieTrekker @ Dec. 13 2012, 1:36 pm)
Wicked pumped! Tomorrow I have a nice day off from work to tie up some loose ends with my Christmas shopping, but more importantly getting one last day of (relative) rest before tomorrow's hike!

EastieTrekker - Have a fun hike. I look forward to some pictures.

I've made plans with a few friends to go out on Saturday too! I expect to see a lot of ice in the mountains. Should make for some interesting pictures.
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2012, 9:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well...got out this weekend, but forgot my camera, haha.  Had a great time.  Mt. Tecumseh (a/k/a Waterville Valley Ski Resort) was the goal for the day. It was high 20's at the trailhead, perfectly blue skies, very little snow, and got icey on the trail about halfway up.  Microspikes necessary, and I thoroughly enjoyed the crunch of the ice underfoot.  A short hike (about 4.5 hrs, w/a couple short breaks) was the perfect length after the injury, and I can't wait to get out again in a couple weekends.

The "view" from the summit.  The Tripyramids are the 3 grouped peaks in the center left.

Here's a close-up of the Tripyramids.

Here's Zoey the mountain pup.  not mine, but I liked the "handle" on her jacket.  It came in handy for her owner on a couple icey sections.

And here's the gang at the summit

--------------
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2012, 10:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I went bowhunting this past weekend. That is to say, I walked to a ground blind and tree stand and sat for hours on end without seeing a single forest creature. Well, that's not entirely true... I saw a shrew for about 3 seconds. I didn't get a shot off.

--------------
 Post Number: 22
Winter is Coming

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2012, 11:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

EastieTrekker - Looks like a fun day outside! Thanks for sharing those pictures. Not much snow there in NH, huh?

WalksWithBlackflies - I was kind of expecting you to be wearing some animal pelts when head up Mt Washington. ;-)

A few friends and I went up Mt Mansfield on Saturday via Hell Brook Trail. It was a perfect, crisp, blue-sky day. The trail was a block on ice, and we were mostly dragging ourselves up the side of the mountain. Microspikes were essential to a safe climb. I can't imagine going up there without traction. Three of the group hiked up to the Long Trail, and four of us took the Hell Brook Cut-off instead, which was the best decision of the day! There was a nice, pleasant amount of snow along the 0.5 miles of the Hell Brook Cut-off. We had a good time figuring out the trail and ended up at Taft Lodge for some hot cocoa and snacks.

Taft Lodge in Vermont, December 15, 2012

On the way down, we took the Long Trail North, which was a skating rink, but still MUCH safer than taking Hell Brook. Overall, we had fun, but the trails are so icy, I would recommend waiting for some more snow to build up this week.

On the way home, we stopped at Prohibition Pig, which has an amazing beer menu and Stumptown Cold Brew Ice coffee in bottles! Good times!

:D
 Post Number: 23
hoosier Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2012, 1:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I usually post in the Mid Atlantic section.  As that is where most of my hiking occurs. But I have been working my way north on the AT and am now up into New York state.

Been doing it as a series of day hikes, and combining it with side trails when possible.

Got out for a nice hike in Harriman State Park on Saturday December 15.  Ended up doing a nice 10.5 mile loop hike.
Started off from a parking area just off of Seven Lakes Drive just south of route 6. Combined a short segment of the 1777 West Trail, then the AT north over Bear Mountain and the across the Bear Mountain Bridge to the junction with the Camp Smith Trail atop Anthony’s Nose. Backtracked back across the Bear Mountain Bridge.

Then used the Popolopen Gorge Trail and the 1777 West Trail to get back to the parking area

When I started the hike at 8:00 am I was the only car in the parking area. But by the time I got back at 1:00 pm the lot was filled. Nice blue skies and temps in the high 20s to start the day. Temps warmed up into the mid 40’s by hikes end.

Nice way to spend a day in Harriman

AT Heading up Bear Mountain

On Bear Mountain

Bear Mountain Bridge

Heading across Bear Mountain Bridge on AT
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2012, 4:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(vinovampire @ Dec. 17 2012, 11:51 am)
EastieTrekker - Looks like a fun day outside! Thanks for sharing those pictures. Not much snow there in NH, huh?

Yeah, not much snow at all.  The ski resort side of the mountain had "4 trails" open (I could only count 2) with 1 lift running - all of it on man-made snow.  There's some snow on the higher peaks, but not too much elsewhere.

While, I'd love some more snow (getting some up there as we speak!!) it was still a great day out.

--------------
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 30 2012, 10:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Got out again this weekend, for my first, true winter hike.  Posted a trip report in the Storytelling forum. Check it out!!  Lots of snow on this one.

--------------
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2012, 1:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Snowshoed through 3' of powder on Saturday. :D

--------------
 Post Number: 27
Winter is Coming

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 8:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't know about anyone else, but I've been having a rather inactive winter this year (compared to other years). I just got out for my first hike of 2013 (granted I was in the Caribbean for the first half of the month). With the lack of posting in the NE Forum, I suspect others might be in the same boat as me. Thus, I figure I should try to keep this thread going.

On January 26, Camels Hump in VT was cold and windy, with only about 8-to 10-inches of snow. There was no need for snowshoes, as the trails have all been packed down. The summit lacked any snow or ice. It must have all melted and been blown-off by the wind.

Not much snow on Camels Hump, Vermont

It was seriously cold. We estimated that it was about -5 degrees on the summit (and about -30 degrees with the wind chill). I was wearing insulated boots rated to -40 and mountaineering socks, and my feet were feeling a bit cold.

We did get a wonderful view of the ADK to the West and Mt Washington and the Presidential Range to the East.  It would be nice to get some fresh snowfall soon everywhere else.

Did anybody else get outdoor this weekend!?  :)
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 9:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I got out for a sunny 2-hour hike yesterday. Not much, but it was good just to get out. Of course, the little snow we have is gonna melt this week.

--------------
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 10:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Didn't get out last week at all, but good on you for getting out in that cold Vino!  Last hike was Welch-Dickey Jan. 15th, which was a nice icy hike to test the crampons on.  Still nursing a foot injury (from November!!) that just won't go away.  Next hike is a bushwack up Mt. Huntington a week from this Saturday.  

Thanks for sharing!

--------------
 Post Number: 30
2Dogs1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 6:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Super weekend to get out / had the weekend off so ended up doing back to back days for a grand total of 30 miles, what really made the days enjoyable was crossing the lakes for change, It's been a long time since the Ice has covered them and it's even be longer that I've hiked during the winter, normally I'm traveling the ski race circuit with son, Now that he's in his 2nd year of college I've got my weekends back but my pocket is empty :D
77 replies since Dec. 02 2012, 8:19 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Who got out in the NE this Week?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions