2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 2 of 3<<123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Who got out in the NE this Week?, December 2012< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 31
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2013, 5:08 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I slept in my yard, testing how low temperature I could take my quilt. Went down to 15 degrees, I was good.

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 32
vinovampire Search for posts by this member.
Winter is Coming

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2013, 7:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

GottaGamble - Is that a GoLite? What's the temp rating?

It's always (well usually) fun sleeping outside, even in the backyard. That said, I do wish there were more snow around here and it looks pretty sparse in your area too.
 Post Number: 33
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 5:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

YES, GoLite 20 degree quilt. I'm on Long Island..snow is very scarce here too. That was just a dusting and it is already gone.

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 34
Winter is Coming

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 10:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GottaGamble @ Jan. 30 2013, 5:54 am)
YES, GoLite 20 degree quilt. I'm on Long Island..snow is very scarce here too. That was just a dusting and it is already gone.

Nice looking quilt! Snow is scarce here in Vermont too. We had a bit, but much of it melted today in the 50 degree weather. Hopefully the next two days will bring us some fresh powder for the weekend.
 Post Number: 35
Winter is Coming

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 03 2013, 9:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi Again Northeast Backpackers,

How was the weekend for everybody? Any good outdoor adventures this week? The weather was cold, but beautiful in my neck-of-the-woods. Although my 2013 Mt Washington trip has been delayed until March, I got out on two nice hikes this weekend. There wasn't a lot of snow, but the views were great... even if the trails were a bit icy (cough).

Anybody else get outdoors this weekend!?  :D

View of the Ap Gap from Molly Stark Mt, VT

Icy Trail in VT on Feb 3
 Post Number: 36
TheRambler Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 8:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I got for for an overnighter this weekend on the Tunxis Trail in CT. Was supposed to be a 4 day trip, but the wife called me because she came down with the flu and i had to come home to watch the little one.

I hit the trailhead about 6pm on Friday and so had to night hike in about 2 miles or so to camp. It was very icy so my microspikes were invaluable. It was a very beautiful night with mosty clear skies with some flurries. Used my hammock, hammock sock and 0F quilts and slept in toasty warm comfort. Temp got down to about 12F.
 Post Number: 37
JoeinCT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 12:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

12 to 18 inches forecast on Friday in western CT.  Looks like a good weekend to get out the snowshoes. My daughters competition on Saturday was canceled, so that frees up the weekend for me.

--------------
Remember--Pack out more than you pack in.

Joe
 Post Number: 38
2Dogs1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 4:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Finally some snow, looking forward to getting  the Snow shoes on and breaking trail
 Post Number: 39
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 10:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(2Dogs1 @ Feb. 08 2013, 4:04 am)
Finally some snow, looking forward to getting  the Snow shoes on and breaking trail

+1

Got a bushwack scheduled for Sunday - should be awe-some!!

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 40
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 11:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Open weekend, new snow, lows below zero... I see a night hike and camp out in my near future!

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 41
JoeinCT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 10:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

About 8 inches on the ground which is on the high end of the estimates.  Heavier snow supposed to come after midnight.  If the high end of the estimate falls, we could be getting about 2 feet.

--------------
Remember--Pack out more than you pack in.

Joe
 Post Number: 42
2Dogs1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2013, 3:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just looked outside 3:30am ......................... AHHHHHHH Freshies, For the 1st time I'm going to miss a Powder day cause of work - guess a Night hike will have to do
 Post Number: 43
Burner973 Search for posts by this member.
Walk it off

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2013, 8:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

we got 11 inches here in Boonton, NJ.

--------------
"A map is the greatest of all epic poems. Its lines and colors show the realization of great dreams." Gilbert H. Grosvenor

Peeps who keep repeating there posts sound like this after the second time, DERPA DERP UHHHHH DERPA.
 Post Number: 44
Winter is Coming

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2013, 7:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We ended up getting variable amounts of snow in Vermont. In response, my GF and I went for an wonderful overnight snowshoe and camping trip in the mountains last night in Northern Vermont. There was a good amount of snow cover, but serious ice pack if you dug deep enough in places (from the thaw/freeze last week). We hiked in on snowshoes, searching for a perfect, little place to camp.

Examining a View of Vermont

We examined a few different decent options for campsites, but passed on them due to wind, unevenness of the ground, or lack of space.  We really wanted to find a perfect secluded wilderness campsite. Eventually, we found just the right little spot. It offered flat ground, good wind-break, no dead-falls or widow-makers, and nice views of the sky for star gazing.

Black Diamond Firstlight at Camp

We explored the area for a time before setting up camp. We found some nice views, while bushwhacking a bit. With about an hour of daylight left, we started setting up for the night. We pitched our Black Diamond FirstLight tent and organized our gear for the night, and then cooked dinner. After a delicious meal, we watched the sunset and drank some hot chocolate.

Cooking some dinner on the MSR WindPro II Stove

The night was uneventful, but we woke up and watched the stars for a bit on the moonless (new moon) night. It was pretty clear and the stars were impressive. The temperature got down to somewhere between 0 and -5 degrees, but we were nicely protected from the wind.

In the morning, we enjoyed the sunrise and views, and then slid down the mountain back to the trailhead. Overall, it was a perfect little trip. I hope we get a few more feet of snow before this winter ends.
 Post Number: 45

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 8:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We got around 12" on Friday. I was going to go out on Saturday, but I wanted the snow to settle a bit. Big mistake. Sunday's snow was a powdery yet sticky mess. Sun was nice though.

--------------
 Post Number: 46
Burner973 Search for posts by this member.
Walk it off

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 9:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Awesome pics in this thread. Thanks for sharing.

--------------
"A map is the greatest of all epic poems. Its lines and colors show the realization of great dreams." Gilbert H. Grosvenor

Peeps who keep repeating there posts sound like this after the second time, DERPA DERP UHHHHH DERPA.
 Post Number: 47

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 9:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Got out for a bushwack of Mt. Huntington yesterday.  It was great to get out of the house after the blizzard!

We jumped into the woods maybe a 1/4 mile after the hairpin turn on the Kancamagus Highway, and started the long and slow slog to S. Huntington first because the true high point is disputed.  Initially the going wasn't too bad - fairly open hardwood forest - but it eventually gave way to some dense spruce.  It seemed like every time I was breaking trail we were hitting the most dense portions of the hike, but it was fun!!!

Took maybe 5-10 minutes to celebrate and sign the book in the canister, and then off to Huntington (N. Huntington).  We made that peak as well, signed in, and then decided to take a different way down, as we had some beta that said the woods were more open coming down N. Huntington.  Well...open is a relative term while bushwacking, but it was a little better.

Overall, my first winter bushwack was a ton of fun, the weather was perfect and with the freshly fallen snow it made for quite the hike.  Learned what it was like to fall into a spruce trap, sharpened my navi skills, and had some great laughs.

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 48

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 12:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(EastieTrekker @ Feb. 11 2013, 9:43 am)
Learned what it was like to fall into a spruce trap...

Welcome to the club!!!

--------------
 Post Number: 49
GreenMonkee Search for posts by this member.
Mountain Hugger

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 5:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cool weekend trip, Vinovampire.
You're lucky to have a GF that enjoys backpacking in Winter.

--------------
Got three months on the injured list. No dancing for me. :(
 Post Number: 50
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 7:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GreenMonkee @ Feb. 11 2013, 5:02 pm)

It's nice to see you back around.  I sometimes wonder what you've been up to.
 Post Number: 51
Mountain Hugger

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 10:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Feb. 11 2013, 7:48 pm)

It's nice to see you back around.  I sometimes wonder what you've been up to.

Hi bigload. It's been years. Been climbing more and hiking less lately.

Jersey Devil is having a Pines  or Loggers Path overnighter in a couple of weeks. You should come and catch up with us at the campfire. PM me if you want to details or talk to JD.

--------------
 Post Number: 52
Winter is Coming

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 11:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

:D

GreenMonkee- I am quite fortunate! It's great being with someone who truly enjoys and really gets into camping outside in sub-zero weather.

EastieTrekker- Great description of your trip. It sounds like a blast. Sounds like quite an adventure. How was it getting out of the spruce trap??

WalksWithBlackflies- If the snow was bad on Sunday, I can't imagine what it must be like now after this rain. The amount of ice under the snow here in VT was pretty awful.  After today's melt and rain, it must be a nightmare.
 Post Number: 53

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 10:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

WalksWithBlackflies- If the snow was bad on Sunday, I can't imagine what it must be like now after this rain. The amount of ice under the snow here in VT was pretty awful.  After today's melt and rain, it must be a nightmare.

Actually, it's probably a good (though icy) base now. If we get a few powdery inches on top, I'll be a happy man.

--------------
 Post Number: 54

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 1:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(vinovampire @ Feb. 11 2013, 11:23 pm)
EastieTrekker- Great description of your trip. It sounds like a blast. Sounds like quite an adventure. How was it getting out of the spruce trap??

I was about waist deep in one of them, so that was a bit tricky - damn snowshoes!!  It felt like escaping quicksand, haha.

There were a couple others, that I didn't sink quite that far or still had a foot on solid ground, so those weren't too bad.

One thing I did learn, is that when bushwacking, sometimes an "open" area in the forest is just a few downed trees covered in snow, waiting to swallow you up!  :angry:

--------------
 Post Number: 55

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2013, 10:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So who's going where this weekend?  I saw Eggs post about Pharaoh Lake; how 'bout the rest of ya?

Me, I'm going to spend the weekend in the Great Gulf Wilderness in the Whites.  We'll mostly stick to the Great Gulf Trail, setting up camp some 4-5 miles in, and enjoy outstanding views of the Presidentials.  Temps should stay above 0 (if only just so), but I'm looking forward to trying out my new -20* bag!

--------------
 Post Number: 56
Winter is Coming

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2013, 3:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(EastieTrekker @ Feb. 13 2013, 10:39 am)
So who's going where this weekend?  I saw Eggs post about Pharaoh Lake; how 'bout the rest of ya?

EastieTrekker- I might be stuck at work this weekend.  :(  My biggest project of the year starts on the Tuesday after President's Day, so if it's anything like last year, I'll be behind a desk most of the weekend. That said, if I crank the next two days, things may change.

Your Great Gulf trip sounds fun! Congrats on the new winter bag. What -20 degree bag did you buy?
 Post Number: 57

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2013, 3:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bummer, Vino...but I know that situation all too well.

I went with the Marmot Col.  It was between that and the WM Puma, and while WM quality is unquestionable (I have a Summerlite that I love), I scored a pretty good deal on the Col.

--------------
 Post Number: 58
Winter is Coming

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2013, 6:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(EastieTrekker @ Feb. 13 2013, 3:38 pm)
I went with the Marmot Col.  It was between that and the WM Puma, and while WM quality is unquestionable (I have a Summerlite that I love), I scored a pretty good deal on the Col.

Nice score! The Marmot Col looks like a great bag. I'd be interested to see how small it packs up. I've had an EMS Mountain Light -20 for a couple years that I got during a big 30% off sale. Winter gear is pricey, so most of us really do need to look for deals.

I hope you get some good pictures from the weekend and share them here with us!
 Post Number: 59
Mountain Hugger

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2013, 10:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll be at a FYAO trip in the Dacks. It was organised on the dark side. That site is dead nowadays. No one will be freezing their ass off this year since we're staying at the Canadian Alpine Club cabin near Keen. Some of us may hike up Giant while others x-c skii. I think it's $15 a night per person to stay at the hut. Check the trip thread if you're interested in coming.
http://www.thebackpacker.com/trailtalk/thread/57016,,4.php

--------------
 Post Number: 60

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 9:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

It was like friggin Antarctica yesterday in Upstate NY.

--------------
77 replies since Dec. 02 2012, 8:19 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 2 of 3<<123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Who got out in the NE this Week?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions