2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: waterfall in Harriman, Raccoon Brook Hills trail< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 20 2012, 3:10 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So I read somewhere in BP magazine that there is a nice waterfall along this trail in Harriman. I am sure it is nothing spectacular, but does anyone know if it does exist? Is it worth a pass if hiking in that area?

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
PanatomicX Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 9:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

IMG_0318
Yes, a very nice spot. I don't have my map with me, but I think it's the Cascade of Slid.
 Post Number: 3
gregkeller Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 3:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think that pic above is from Ga-Nus-Quah Rock.  No waterfall at the cascade of Slid, thats just a big rock pile on the sides.  That might be the "raccoon brook trail" waterfall, referenced in backpacker, but If it is, it's not on that trail, it's on the Pine Meadow trail.  

Maybe the route mentioned was pine meadow --> raccoon brook, but pretty sure you pass that waterfall while on pine meadow.  I don't remember ever seeing a waterfall on the raccoon brook trail, and according to the maps it doesn't look like there is anything like that on it, but i might be wrong.  I think i've only been on that trail two or three times.
 Post Number: 4
2Dogs1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 9:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(gregkeller @ Dec. 21 2012, 3:44 pm)
I think that pic above is from Ga-Nus-Quah Rock.  No waterfall at the cascade of Slid, thats just a big rock pile on the sides.  That might be the "raccoon brook trail" waterfall, referenced in backpacker, but If it is, it's not on that trail, it's on the Pine Meadow trail.  

Maybe the route mentioned was pine meadow --> raccoon brook, but pretty sure you pass that waterfall while on pine meadow.  I don't remember ever seeing a waterfall on the raccoon brook trail, and according to the maps it doesn't look like there is anything like that on it, but i might be wrong.  I think i've only been on that trail two or three times.

100% correct
 Post Number: 5
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 10:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

yup, I found the article in my stash of maps. it is the Pine Meadow trail..near the Raccoon Brook Hills trail.

So, is it worth a pass if in the area?

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 6
gregkeller Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 2:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

sure, if there already it's a pretty spot.  Extremely heavily traveled though, especially on the weekends.  Most people start at the reeves visitor center and take the pine meadow trail up to a lake, the waterfall is about 1/2 mile from the lake or so.
 Post Number: 7
GreenMonkee Search for posts by this member.
Mountain Hugger

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2013, 9:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Been hiking in Harriman for years and there is still so much to see. I'll have to check this spot out soon. It's probably nice and frozen right now.
Thanks.

--------------
Got three months on the injured list. No dancing for me. :(
 Post Number: 8
2Dogs1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2013, 11:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Best time to to hike that area is weekdays or at 1st light on weekends  / The area around Reeve's see's HEAVY hiking traffic on the weekends , with large groups
 Post Number: 9
Burner973 Search for posts by this member.
Walk it off

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 9:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah my last hike in Harriman was here and it was a madhouse on that specific trail. Every 100 or 200 feet another person or people would come on by.

--------------
"A map is the greatest of all epic poems. Its lines and colors show the realization of great dreams." Gilbert H. Grosvenor

Peeps who keep repeating there posts sound like this after the second time, DERPA DERP UHHHHH DERPA.
 Post Number: 10
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.
A different kind of rebel...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 1:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I saw four people, two dogs, and a black-capped Chickadee yesterday on three different western trails. Hit the trail @ 9:30 and walked off at 4.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
9 replies since Dec. 20 2012, 3:10 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply waterfall in Harriman
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions