2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: food in winter, overnight< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 10:55 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use an Ursack for my food and usually keep it about 100 yards or so from my sleeping area at night. During the winter months do you think I still need to do this? Could I keep it in the Ursack in the vestibule? Bad idea?  Just thinking it would be nice in the cold morning to reach outside my tent and grab the bag and get some hot water boiling for breakfast and drinks rather then have to run 100 yards away in bitter cold at 6 or 7 am to retrieve the bag. What do you guys usually do?

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tipi Walter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 1:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's all about location and bear activity.  If I'm in a camp where I see a bear roaming around I'll make a point of hanging my food.  Lately I've been storing my food sacks in my tent vesitibule and deal with the chewing mice by a peanut-baited mouse trap.  Mice will not only explore you and your tent and your vestibule but will climb down a bear line and chew holes in your food bags.  

For 30 years I hung my food but now I guess I'm getting lazy.  Rather have my food near me in the vestibule.  I do not recommend this as acceptable practive, though, so YMMV.

Another point---hanging food bags or having food bags outside in the winter can be a mistake when you wake up in the morning after a sleet storm and your food bag is competely encrusted with frozen ice and snow.  It will look like my glove, below---

And then you have to stuff this same bag into your pack?  It's a messy proposition.

--------------
http://trailjournals.com/TipiWalter11

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/
 Post Number: 3
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 1:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

thanks. Im not so worried about rodents getting at my food as I do use odor proof bags and an ursack...Im guessing it should be ok in the vestibule of my tent..

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 4
vinovampire Search for posts by this member.
Winter is Coming

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 9:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It sounds like you've got a nice system with odor proof bags and an Ursack. Just to toss-out another option, depending on the possible animal issues, a person could tie a food sack (or a garbage bag with a food sack inside) to a tree and then bury it in the snow. Burying the food in snow should insulate it a bit from cold air and protect it from ice build-up. Just an idea.
 Post Number: 5
GreenMonkee Search for posts by this member.
Mountain Hugger

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2013, 12:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I keep my food with me in the tent in all seasons and have never had an issue.
The only places I will use a bear canister is where it's required and in grizzly country.

--------------
Got three months on the injured list. No dancing for me. :(
 Post Number: 6
2Dogs1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2013, 5:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GreenMonkee @ Feb. 09 2013, 12:04 pm)
I keep my food with me in the tent in all seasons and have never had an issue.
The only places I will use a bear canister is where it's required and in grizzly country.

I agree / although I do hang my food just for piece of mind , Winter hangs I just plastic bag my stuff sack of food so I dont have to worry about packing a Ice crusted stuff sack into my pack
 Post Number: 7
Burner973 Search for posts by this member.
Walk it off

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 9:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I always hang just for the peace of mind. Never had a bear issue nor saw one.

--------------
"A map is the greatest of all epic poems. Its lines and colors show the realization of great dreams." Gilbert H. Grosvenor

Peeps who keep repeating there posts sound like this after the second time, DERPA DERP UHHHHH DERPA.
6 replies since Dec. 29 2012, 10:55 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply food in winter
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions