2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Harriman, most challenging trail?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 5:15 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So I am going to be heading out to Harriman in April with 3 friends who have not backpacked in 15+ years. well, 1 of them has gone once in the past year. Anyway, I figured Harriman is a good place to take them, being close to home and not as severe as the catskills. I have hiked plenty in Harriman and I know that they should be able to handle it. So I am looking for some challenging trails to take these guys on. I am planning on about 6-8 miles a day. Something that will require a little bit of work, I dont want no easy stroll through the woods for them. I have a few routes mapped out already, I'm just asking around and see what ideas are out there since I have not hiked every trail in the park. Preferably looking for a loop as we will all be in 1 car.

--------------
www.mybackpacking.blog.com

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
author unknown
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Burner973 Search for posts by this member.
Walk it off

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 9:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Northern section West Mtn, Timp, Dunderberg and Bald Mtn have been the most challenging for me so far. I would look at the map and see if you can piece a nice hike together, they are all very close(relatively) and you can connect to all of em.

--------------
"A map is the greatest of all epic poems. Its lines and colors show the realization of great dreams." Gilbert H. Grosvenor

Peeps who keep repeating there posts sound like this after the second time, DERPA DERP UHHHHH DERPA.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 3:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Burner..welcome back. Have not seen you around in some time. I was looking at that section actually before I posted this topic and I remember you posting a hike that u took and camped on the Timp. Thanks for the info.

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 4
gregkeller Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 3:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've kinda noticed that anything running east-west has more up and downs.  Most of the north-south trails sort of follow valleys or ridgelines as much as possible, whereas the east-west trails climb up and over the ridgelines.
 Post Number: 5
Burner973 Search for posts by this member.
Walk it off

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 9:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks GG, say did ya hike up there recently?

--------------
"A map is the greatest of all epic poems. Its lines and colors show the realization of great dreams." Gilbert H. Grosvenor

Peeps who keep repeating there posts sound like this after the second time, DERPA DERP UHHHHH DERPA.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 1:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

no, not since October. But I plan on going soon.

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 7
2Dogs1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 5:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

West side of the Park still has some great snow pack / Most of the well used trails are icing up / But if you look hard enough there's still lots of untracked trails
 Post Number: 8
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 12:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

There's a meetup group doing the entire R-D trail (22 mi?). I understand that's a real treat. Not sure when, though.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
7 replies since Jan. 23 2013, 5:15 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Harriman
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions