2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Anyone done the Five Peak Loop, in the Adirondacks?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
HuntersHikes Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 23 2013, 7:24 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

this is the one I'm talking about, http://www.backpacker.com/destinations/hikes/368779  Anyone ever done it?

--------------
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball, and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without considering if there are men on base.

Latitude:N 42° 7' 34.7232"
Longitude:W 71° 42' 28.6164"

www.huntershikes.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 23 2013, 10:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

page not found
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2013, 9:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Forty-six peaks in the Adirondacks rise higher than 4,000 feet. Locals call them "46ers," and you'll tag five on this 17.3-mile loop. From a parking area on the south side of NY 73, seven miles south of Keene Valley, access the unsigned (and unnamed) but easy-to-spot trail. Head southwest past a killer swimming hole to cross the North Fork of the Bouquet River at mile .7.

From here, the trail weaves through ferny undergrowth to another crossing at mile 3.3. Just beyond are three tent sites. Camp here and rest up for a big day two. In the morning, top off your water; this is your last reliable water source for the next 10 miles. The trail gets steeper and rockier and peters out at mile 4.7, at the base of the East Dix slide, where a 35- to 40-degree rock slab leads .3 mile to the open summit of East Dix. Note: If it's raining, skip the steep scramble for a faint path to the right of the slide's base.

At the 4,012-foot summit, follow cairns southwest along the ridge for a mile to the top of 4,060-foot South Dix. From here, drop 500 feet to a saddle between South Dix and 4,405-foot Macomb Mountain. A spur leads to Macomb, the day's third 46er. Return to South Dix and head north to 4,400-foot Hough Peak. Beyond, the forest transitions to birch and stunted balsam as you climb steeply toward 4,857-foot Dix Mountain.

Reach the Beckhorn (a false summit) at mile 8.9 (10), then continue to the top (11). Descend the steep and rooty Dix Trail 1,600 feet to a traverse of the Dix Slide at mile 9.9 (12). The trail levels out beyond here and reaches the Bouquet lean-to at mile 11.2 (13). Camp here for one more night out (first-come, first-serve). From here, it's a gradual 4.2-mile descent to the road (14), then 1.9 miles east to your car.

Gear up: Get everything from fuel to crampons, rent a pack and poles, and browse the region's best map selection for ADK trails at The Mountaineer (1866 NY 73, Keene Valley, NY; 518-576-2281; mountaineer.com).

--------------
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball, and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without considering if there are men on base.

www.huntershikes.com
 Post Number: 4
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 1:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Many times. What are your questions?

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 5:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh nice! Just wondering how strenuous, how much climbing, what the best Trails Illustrated map to get, if you have any photos, etc.  Anything would be appreciated!  Our first time venturing to the Adirondacks (Green/White Mountain hikers...)

--------------

www.huntershikes.com
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 9:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

First... the Dix wildnerness is one of my favorite areas. Good choice.

Note that at least half of the loop is on an unmaintained trail (herdpath), so it might not appear on a map. The path is relatively easy to follow (a couple of confusing areas that might waste a few minutes each, but you'll eventually find the way). Don't expect trail markers to guide your way, because there won't be any from the trailhead to the Dix summit.

On Day 2 you'll have to hike to the base of E Dix (Grace) and steeply climb to the summit, descend and climb S Dix (Carson), descend and steeply climb Macomb, descend and climb S Dix (Carson) again, descend and climb Pough, descend and steeply climb Hough, descend and steeply climb Dix, steeply descend to the base of the Dix slide and then another 2 miles to the lean to {BTW, there is camping available behind and uphill of the Boquet leanto.}

It's tough to say how strenous, because I don't know your fitness level. I'd say I'm in above-average shape. I've carried a full pack twice over those peaks, and I was very glad to reach the lean to. Note that there are no bailouts on this route... once you're up, you're committed.

That said, I'm not sure if it would be easier to complete as a dayhike or backpack. As a dayhike, you could go light but there would be additional miles. As a backpack, you'll be carrying weight over all those peaks.

IMO, the better option is to start from Elk Lake. You could camp at one of the two lean-tos (Macomb or Lillian Brook), and use that as your base of operation. On Day 2, dayhike Macomb, S, E, S, Hough, Dix and back to camp via Hunters Pass or Beckhorn trail. The Lillian Brook herdpath could be used as a bailout route.

I have photos but not on the computer I'm at right right now. Visit SummitPost dot com and search for the individual mountains. There will be plenty of photos there.

--------------
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 6:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How would you compare this hike to the Mt Washington day hike or other peaks in the Whites?

--------------

www.huntershikes.com
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2013, 3:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Similar to Washington - Madison... without as much initial elevation gain, but rougher trail. Also, most is below treeline.

--------------
7 replies since Feb. 23 2013, 7:24 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Anyone done the Five Peak Loop
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions