2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: March Gladness< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
nogods Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 8:38 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Instead of staying home to watch the conference semi-finals and finals I went to a county forest with a friend and did a bushwhack.  Found virgin snow, blue skies, and a great day in the woods.  We stopped at a creek for lunch and tried my new hammock chairs.  Total hike was only 5.2 miles but we spent 5 hours in the woods.

[url=The view of our lunch spot][/url]

[url=Relaxing after lunch][/url]

[url=On the trail 01][/url]

[url=On the Trail 2][/url]

[url=On the Trail 3][/url]
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 8:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We haven't had measurible snow in 2 years. I'm jealous

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 3
HikermomCT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 12 2013, 12:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wonderful photos. I love the woods when they are blanketed in snow!!  Thanks for sharing.

One question - who makes that great hammock chair and where did you get it?
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 12 2013, 1:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HikermomCT @ Mar. 12 2013, 12:11 pm)
Wonderful photos. I love the woods when they are blanketed in snow!!  Thanks for sharing.

One question - who makes that great hammock chair and where did you get it?

I made the hammock chairs from a $25 Walmart hammock.  

After removing the suspension system, I took it to a tailor who cut it in half, then sewed channels in the cut sides to match the channels in the ends of the original hammock.  He only charged $10 for the work.

Then I threaded whoopie slings through each channel and used a carabiner and tree strap to complete the suspensions.

It might have been a bit cheaper to purchase some ripstop nylon from a fabric store, but then I would have had to pay the tailor to sew a rolled edge on all four sides, and then two channels on each end for the suspension.  That probably would have brought the expense for the material to about the same as the walmart hammock.

Arrowhead equipment also sells hammock chairs complete with suspensions for $40, but their color selection is limited to red, black, or blue.  If they had camo or tan I probably would have just ordered one from them.

I ended up with 2 hammock chairs for about the same price.
 Post Number: 5
HikermomCT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 12 2013, 1:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very clever!! Thanks so much for the info. I'm going to have to try this.
 Post Number: 6
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.
A different kind of rebel...

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2013, 4:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Mar. 12 2013, 1:15 pm)
[quote=HikermomCT,Mar. 12 2013, 12:11 pm]If they had camo or tan I probably would have just ordered one from them.

Never understood the camo thing while in the sticks. If you're a hunter, whatever - stop killing things. There's plenty of food out there that needn't be killed. Again, whatever.

But what if you get stuck and need to find your site? Camo? Really? I choose bright colors. Couldn't stand the notion of being within a 100 feet of my site and not being able to see it.

Difference between backpackers and hunters, I guess.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2013, 5:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bigsilk @ Mar. 14 2013, 4:19 pm)

(nogods @ Mar. 12 2013, 1:15 pm)
[quote=HikermomCT,Mar. 12 2013, 12:11 pm]If they had camo or tan I probably would have just ordered one from them.

Never understood the camo thing while in the sticks. If you're a hunter, whatever - stop killing things. There's plenty of food out there that needn't be killed. Again, whatever.

But what if you get stuck and need to find your site? Camo? Really? I choose bright colors. Couldn't stand the notion of being within a 100 feet of my site and not being able to see it.

Difference between backpackers and hunters, I guess.

So ya wanta' start a fight eh? ...lol

I prefer camo to cause the least amount of disruption of wildlife.  When I hunt I wear blaze orange breakup (blaze oranage camo) because deer and some other game see orange as tan, and with the breakup it is almost the same as camo, although not as effective.

If you are really worried about losing your equipment, and want to reduced your disruption of wildlife, then go with the blaze orange camo.

As for hunting, three things you should know:

1. Taking personal responsibility for what you eat does require killing things.  But so does not taking responsibility for what you eat, leaving you an irresponsible but well fed killer.  

2. Backpackers and hikers have a lot to be thankful for hunters.  You don't have to hunt to contribute the conservation benefits paid for by hunters through licenses and equipment tax, you could just buy a hunting license.

3. As another forum member said so well long ago, if you aren't in the woods as either hunter or prey then you are nothing but a disturbance to nature. Nature has no use for photographs of its world.  Only humans derive pleasure from such things.

So stop disturbing mother nature.  Stay home instead.  And if you don't kill what you eat, then you shouldn't be eating at all.

Post Number: 8
2Dogs1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2013, 2:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

O-Boy..................

There's other good reasons for "Camo" - I wear it, so I can enjoy calling game, I don't hunt anymore but I still enjoy calling Turkey's, Deer it's a rush to have a gobbler within 10' of you only to take a picture, just this morning i was out with my Owl hooter and spooked up 2 Turks

It's all fun & games
 Post Number: 9
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 9:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hope this picture takes.

We got a bit of snow yesterday afternoon and took a walk about 700' along our wall...Goldfish never tasted so good.

And Fuschia is as good as blaze orange anyday.

For the record we followed three sets of deer track, (we wake up to them on our lawn), to this spot next to an old oak w/a smiley face someone carved into it 20+ years ago,

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 10
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2013, 2:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been trail running at our local state park for the past couple of weeks. Conditions change daily at this time of year. It's neat to see the snowpack "evolve".

Oh, and I wear camo in the backcountry to scare city folk.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2013, 2:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wcolucci @ Mar. 19 2013, 9:41 am)
Hope this picture takes.

We got a bit of snow yesterday afternoon and took a walk about 700' along our wall...Goldfish never tasted so good.

And Fuschia is as good as blaze orange anyday.

For the record we followed three sets of deer track, (we wake up to them on our lawn), to this spot next to an old oak w/a smiley face someone carved into it 20+ years ago,

cute picture.  

I'm assuming the goldfish you referred to are of the cracker type, not the win in a plastic bag at the carnival type.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2013, 2:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Mar. 20 2013, 2:07 pm)
I've been trail running at our local state park for the past couple of weeks. Conditions change daily at this time of year. It's neat to see the snowpack "evolve".

Oh, and I wear camo in the backcountry to scare city folk.

We got 10 inches of snow in that forest last night (it is about 30 miles south of Buffalo).

I'm trying to re-arrange my schedule to get out snowshoeing this weekend, but I have a seminar to attend for the leashed tracking dog program on Sunday and that means I have to attend to other matters on Saturday.
 Post Number: 13
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2013, 4:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm assuming the goldfish you referred to are of the cracker type, not the win in a plastic bag at the carnival type

The cracker....but you'd have to look close at her bag  if I said the other :p

The ones she won are buried about 200 yards away from that very spot..they did last a pretty long time tho.

She likes poking around the woods, we've done a lot of small stuff up near Wanakeena and she is absolutely committed to hike Cat Mtn this year.  Trying to get her to do Bear first, (both near Cranberry lake), but the two times I've been up Cat it was raining so I've never seen what is supposed to be a spectacular view to the S/E ...maybe I'll bite but it is a tough one for an eight yr old (2-3 hour canoe trip, couple hour up and back...long day).

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
12 replies since Mar. 09 2013, 8:38 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply March Gladness
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions