2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Looking for Backpacking Partner, Central MA-Southern NH< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
GrittyGypsy Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2013, 5:31 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey, I'm heading out this spring to backpack around central/northern MA and southern NH. This is my first time out into the wilderness, so i was hoping to find a fellow free spirit for company and safety - preferably someone more experienced than myself, but anyone interested is welcome.

I'm a former psychology student who is rejecting the systemic oppression of whats come to be the normal lifestyle for a more natural, semi-nomadic one wherein i'll mostly be living off the land. This decision is based both on principle and a lack of other options. And i'm really excited about it.

I'm pretty easy-going (don't mess with me and i won't mess with you) and interested in meeting all sorts of people and having new experiences, and I plan on living this way indefinitely, so this is an open invitation to anyone who'd like to join me for any length of time.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2013, 6:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

wherein i'll mostly be living off the land

Sorry to burst your bubble but that's not nearly as easy as you apparently believe.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 10:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am well aware that it's not easy, i just think its worth it, and have been through worse. Do you think this is something i woke up yesterday and decided to do on a whim? I didn't ask your opinion, and i don't need snide remarks from trolls wasting my time.
 Post Number: 4
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 12:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GrittyGypsy @ Apr. 10 2013, 10:44 am)
Do you think this is something i woke up yesterday and decided to do on a whim?

In MLW's defense, you did state "This is my first time out into the wilderness". And if I recall correctly, I think MLW does live off the land.

I've been tying to do that a little more each year, but I'm still woefully unprepared. I've always had a garden at home. I've studied wild edibles and take advantage of them when available. I bought a bow last year (but unfortunately didn't get a deer). This year, I hope set aside one day each week to eat only food I have harvested or hunted. So far, that means vegetarian! :D

I'd honestly be interested to hear your plan. Maybe start another thread under a different forum topic? Good luck on your journey.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 1:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

the "into the wilderness" phrasing was a joke that was obviously lost on you two... its not as if its my first time camping, hiking, hunting or even foraging. its just the first time i'll be gone for more than a few weeks. i also said the decision was based on principle and a lack of other options, which requires quite a bit of forethought. i've been preparing for this for months, and i'm almost out of time, which is the only reason i'm not taking longer to do so.

Now if we could get back to the point of the thread...
 Post Number: 6
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 3:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Have you tried posting on Views From the Top? You might get more bites there than here.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 5:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Apr. 10 2013, 3:03 pm)
Have you tried posting on Views From the Top? You might get more bites there than here.

i hadn't considered it because it seemed to be more of a hiking site, not really for long-term trips. maybe i missed something. its worth a shot though, either way. thanks.
 Post Number: 8
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 5:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Go thru-hike the AT first.  You'll meet lots of like minded people.

Landowners and National/State Park officials do not care for tresspassers living rough on their properties.

Where do you think you're going to find to do this?  Those are not especially remote areas.
 Post Number: 9
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 7:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This guy did it.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 8:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(no_granola @ Apr. 10 2013, 7:19 pm)
This guy did it.

When thinking about going feral, no one ever factors in just how bad they will stink or how you begin fantasizing about a real mattress after a couple weeks out.
 Post Number: 11
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 8:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(spindle @ Apr. 10 2013, 8:22 pm)

This guy did it.

When thinking about going feral, no one ever factors in just how bad they will stink or how you begin fantasizing about a real mattress after a couple weeks out.

That's for sure!  I think the thru-hike idea would work in this instance; although, collecting food might not be so easy.  There a few places to fish probably, and wild edibles.  That's not enough to sustain though, even with some trail magic and yogi action.

--------------
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 9:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(no_granola @ Apr. 10 2013, 8:42 pm)

(spindle @ Apr. 10 2013, 8:22 pm)

This guy did it.

That's for sure!  I think the thru-hike idea would work in this instance; although, collecting food might not be so easy.  There a few places to fish probably, and wild edibles.  That's not enough to sustain though, even with some trail magic and yogi action.

There aren't all that many wild edibles at subsistence level where he's looking either.

If he's going to be homeless, at least the AT will provide foraging in civilization opportunities and occasionally the kindness of strangers.
 Post Number: 13
fifeplayer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 9:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(no_granola @ Apr. 10 2013, 8:42 pm)
That's not enough to sustain though...

Have you seen the size of those shelter mice?
Oh, and he's a former psych major attempting to cast off the chains of a "normal" lifestyle. The Donner party worked out that subsistence thing...
 Post Number: 14
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 9:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(fifeplayer @ Apr. 10 2013, 9:27 pm)
The Donner party worked out that subsistence thing...

Right.  I'm not going with him!

--------------
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 9:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(no_granola @ Apr. 10 2013, 9:32 pm)

(fifeplayer @ Apr. 10 2013, 9:27 pm)
The Donner party worked out that subsistence thing...

Right.  I'm not going with him!

Gosh, I wish I didn't just now have a vision of why he wants near strangers to wander around the woods with for an extended period of time.

"Question:  Would anyone miss you if you didn't come back?"

???
14 replies since Apr. 09 2013, 5:31 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Looking for Backpacking Partner
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions