2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Harriman 2 1/2 day loop wanted - help?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
BackpackingScoutLeader Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 05 2013, 12:39 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am looking for suggestions for a 2 1/2 day trip (start 10am day 1, finish by lunchtime day 3) in the Harriman area.  We're hoping to take only 1 car, so ideally it would be a loop.  Hitting the Bear Mt. summit would be nice, but not required.  Trip will be mid-week in June so I'm guessing the trails (and summit) would be pretty empty.

We did this 1 night loop last year -
http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1635217
but I can't figure out how to extend a day to it so I'm open to suggestions on other trails in the area.  I'd love to walk back through Doodletown if we can figure out a trail.

The group is 1 active old man (me) with lots of backpacking experience and two 20ish year old athletes, 1 with 1 backpacking night total and the other with 0.

Any trail thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 05 2013, 1:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Get the Harriman bear mountain mapset...u will find what u look for..

--------------
www.mybackpacking.blog.com

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 05 2013, 1:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GottaGamble @ Jun. 05 2013, 1:30 pm)
Get the Harriman bear mountain mapset...u will find what u look for..

I have the maps, but don't see anything jumping out at me that looks like it would be a good fit for what we are looking for.  I'm hoping someone who has hiked the area more than I have would have ideas.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 05 2013, 2:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

how many miles per day you looking to hike?

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 05 2013, 3:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GottaGamble @ Jun. 05 2013, 2:44 pm)
how many miles per day you looking to hike?

Probably around 7-10 miles a day would be a good upper limit since I'll have one hiker on her first trip ever.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 05 2013, 3:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have found that every trail I have hiked on in Harriman has something that is worth the trip. I've hiked on many of the trails and have yet to be dissapointed and I try to do new trails whenever I go, though sometimes I will rerun a section of a previous trail..and I always figure out a nice loop for the most part. I dont think you can go wrong with whatever you chose...have you past the Lemon Squeezer on the AT? How about cascade of slid? Elbow Brush? Claudious Smith Den? Pine Meadow Lake is beautiful. Lots of possibilities in Harriman.

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 05 2013, 3:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GottaGamble @ Jun. 05 2013, 3:21 pm)
I have found that every trail I have hiked on in Harriman has something that is worth the trip. I've hiked on many of the trails and have yet to be dissapointed and I try to do new trails whenever I go, though sometimes I will rerun a section of a previous trail..and I always figure out a nice loop for the most part. I dont think you can go wrong with whatever you chose...have you past the Lemon Squeezer on the AT? How about cascade of slid? Elbow Brush? Claudious Smith Den? Pine Meadow Lake is beautiful. Lots of possibilities in Harriman.

I've been through the Lemon Squeezer once.  Lots of fun, especially watching a claustrophobic heavyset friend getting stuck / needing a bit of help.

I don't know any of the other features you mentioned though!

Pine Meadow Lake sounds gorgeous.  How clean is it / can you camp there (my maps are at home and I'm not)?  I've been at a few of the other lakes in the area and was disappointed by the vast quantities of trash and broken glass left by daytrippers.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 05 2013, 3:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

pine meadow is clean...nice..and some spots to camp along water...look at my post of backpacking harriman April 26-27

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 08 2013, 9:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We now are bringing 2 cars, so don't need the loop. Looking at parking at Elk Den (Arden Valley Rd) - is it safe for a few days?  Hiking in on the AT, thru Lemon Squeezer to Long Path north to Stockbridge Shelter (I calculate about 7 mi).  Day 2, Menominee to AT (Ramapo Dunderberg) to S-BM (at Cats Elbow), to Timp-Torne to West Mountain Shelter (I calculate 7.5 mi). Day 3, T-T to the AT up and over Bear Mountain, down Major Welch (or AT) - about 5.7 mi, plus a walk through the zoo and up to Frt Montgomery.

Does it sound reasonable?  Is the parking safe?  Will we find water anywhere near either of the shelters?

Thanks!
 Post Number: 10
2Dogs1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 09 2013, 8:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

FYI - The West mt. Lt is a very busy place - you might want stealth camp along the AT on a ridge for sure you'll be running into many thru hikers / as for water with the resent rains right now theres plenty
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 09 2013, 6:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just got back from Harriman water everywhere..lots

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 12
PanatomicX Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 10 2013, 2:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds like a great hike!  7.5 miles is a good distance-lots of up and down in the Park. I've left the car overnight at a few of the spots, not Elk Pen though, without any problem. While the streams will be full, there may not be any water at Stockbridge or West Mountain. Fill up at the streams before you get to camp.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2013, 10:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

well? Have you gone yet? Wondering what you chose and how you made out?

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2013, 10:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GottaGamble @ Jun. 14 2013, 10:19 am)
well? Have you gone yet? Wondering what you chose and how you made out?

Left on Wednesday and returned yesterday.   The Wednesday morning forecast for Thursday was 2-4 inches of rain with heavy winds and thunder.  We decided to cut the trip short - Hiked the AT South up and over Bear Mountain to the West Mountain shelter and then returned Thursday morning on SBM and 1777 thru Doodletown in the pouring rain.  We heard some thunder as we walked into the Bear Mountain parking lot, so we were definitely happy with our decision.  Since we were traveling south on the AT, we passed a bunch of thru-hikers.  All but one were planning on leaving the trail for a day on Thu or taking zeroes...The one hadn't heard the forecast.  We passed him walking along Route 17 on our way home on Thursday.  Oh well - I'll try the 3 day trip another time.

By the way - anyone hiking in the area - Cicadas are everywhere and provided a 5:15 wake-up call with their "singing".
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2013, 1:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah...I did an overnighter last saturday to Sunday with my son and those cicadas were EVERYWHERE!!! they were flying all over and the "sheds" were in the thousands that we could see...on the ground in the shrubs..everywhere. I have some pictures that I will post in my TR as soon as I dl them onto my PC(hope this weekend).  Well, good to hear you had fun, too bad the wind and rain drove you out...I thrive in nasty weather, lol.  Did you take any pictures?

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2013, 1:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GottaGamble @ Jun. 14 2013, 1:14 pm)
Yeah...I did an overnighter last saturday to Sunday with my son and those cicadas were EVERYWHERE!!! they were flying all over and the "sheds" were in the thousands that we could see...on the ground in the shrubs..everywhere. I have some pictures that I will post in my TR as soon as I dl them onto my PC(hope this weekend).  Well, good to hear you had fun, too bad the wind and rain drove you out...I thrive in nasty weather, lol.  Did you take any pictures?

We took a bunch of photos.  I haven't had a chance to upload them anywhere (I have a smugmug account).  Probably over the weekend.
15 replies since Jun. 05 2013, 12:39 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Harriman 2 1/2 day loop wanted - help?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions