2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Black Flies, Would they be bad over the July 4 Weeken< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 10 2013, 10:48 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My wife just suggested that we could go to the Adirondak's for the weekend over the long Fouth.  I have two littler ones and don't want them to become chew toys.

I think that the flies have moved on, or started to, during July, or am I wrong.  What is the status as of now?

Thanks.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tipi Walter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 10 2013, 11:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just make sure you bring a headnet and you'll be a-okay.  Oh and maybe a sealable tent.  I like my Sea to Summit net.

--------------
http://trailjournals.com/TipiWalter11

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 10 2013, 12:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That bad, eh?  When in Maine one year with the flies, they ate right through our head nets.  My buddy must have been sweeter than I, they tore him up something awful.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
 Post Number: 4
Tipi Walter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 10 2013, 3:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Your biting black flies must be different than our biting black flies.

--------------
http://trailjournals.com/TipiWalter11

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/
 Post Number: 5
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 10 2013, 4:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Where in the Park will you go? That alone will be important.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 1:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

WWBF, we'll be down near the start of the 100 mile wilderness.  Lake Nahmakanta to be exact.

--------------
 Post Number: 7
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 1:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I discovered something worse than black flies - the gypsy moth caterpillar stage.  We were hiking in Allegany State Park this weekend and the trees and leaves were covered with the critters, and they were hanging from web-like strands in the middle of the trail.  

The worst was that if you stopped to listen you would hear what sounded like rain fall, but it was caterpillar poop.  A constant stream of it falling from the trees.

All of the leaves we could see from the ground had been eaten to some extent.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 3:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Jun. 11 2013, 1:54 pm)
I discovered something worse than black flies - the gypsy moth caterpillar stage.  

I've been in similar conditions in forests infested with eastern tent caterpillars. Poop raining down on your head isn't pleasant. The ones on the ground would climb up our legs and they BITE! I assume that's because they had already stripped the entire canopy and would eat anything they could crawl on.

--------------
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 3:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikingFF77 @ Jun. 11 2013, 1:38 pm)
WWBF, we'll be down near the start of the 100 mile wilderness.  Lake Nahmakanta to be exact.

I thought you were coming to the Adks?

In general terms, blackfly season in the Adks is Memorial Day to Independence Day. They might hang around in Maine a week or two longer, assuming a later snow melt. They like cool temps, so as the weather gets warmer, they head for the ridges/peaks.

--------------
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 4:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

HAHAHA  Crap, I'm thinking of a different trip!  Forked Lake in the Dak's is where we'd be going if we could get there!  Thanks, sorry for the slip.

--------------
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 13 2013, 10:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If my house doesn't flood tomorrow, I'll be heading up to the High Peaks this weekend. I'll report back.

--------------
 Post Number: 12
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 13 2013, 1:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Jun. 13 2013, 10:34 am)
If my house doesn't flood tomorrow, I'll be heading up to the High Peaks this weekend. I'll report back.

Where to?
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 13 2013, 1:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Where will my house float to or where will I be going in the Adks? :D

Assuming the latter, rock climbing on Gothics.

--------------
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 10:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The creek behaved, and I'm back from my Gothics excursion.

Overall, the bugs weren't bad. But there were pockets of thick blackflies. Even then, I didn't think they were bad. That is, until I saw all the welts on my arms this morning. It looks like I have low-grade chicken pox. Even a nicely placed welt right on the center of my forehead that makes me look like a Hindu.

Worst of all though were the no-see-ums at morning twilight.

So, in conclusion, you'll be fine as long as you don't run into a pocket of the biting bastards and sleep in a tent. Very helpful, I know.

--------------
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 4:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They seem to be getting bigger, too:

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 9:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow!  Cool pic and I'm sorry about your arms.  I know they can be crazy.  My friend and I got to our tent site one day in Baxter, they were so bad it sounded like a snare drum on the outside of the tent.  They're ferocious little buggers.

--------------
15 replies since Jun. 10 2013, 10:48 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Black Flies
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions