2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Backpacking Harriman, June 8-9, 2013< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 12:11 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

June 8-9 I decided to taker my son on a nice little overnighter in Harriman. We parked at the visitor center, (Ed reeves?), on Seven Lakes Drive near Sloatsburg. We began hiking on the red blazed Pine meadow trail. The Stony Brook was flowing FULL force due to all the heavy rain we had the previous days.

We continued past Go-Nus-Quah Rock and on to Pine Meadow Lake where we set up our camp for the evening. It was a short hike and very easy, totaling about 3.5 miles.

We even had some Geese visit us near our tent..

The next day we hiked back, going up and over Diamond Mt (1200ft.). The views from top were perfect..
the lake you see in the background was where we camped, near the far left end(Pine Meadow Lake)..

I can tell you this, going down the other side of Diamond Mt was a bit tricky, kind of steep and at one point we were going down on our backsides, I went first, then helped him down.. It was thrilling for me, I can only imagine how my son felt. He was exstatic and we both had huge smiles on our faces the entire time. I think we hiked about 3&3/4 miles back on day 2.  We deffinetly had a great time for a short overnighter. Pine Meadow lake is beautiful and a nice spot to cool off and take a swim in warmer weather. We also passed Cascade of Slid and Go-Nus-Quah Rock which were nice spots along the trail. There was plenty of water along the way. My sawyer squeeze filter worked perfect for this kind of trip. My MH SuperMega UL2 worked perfect for the 2 of us also. My new pack (ULA CDT) was a dream come true for me. My total pack weight was about 22 lbs, that was me carrying everything of mine, the tent and all of our food. My son carries all of his own gear minus tent and food, and he does a great job and does not complain one bit. He loves a good challenge and I think Diamond Mt gave him an awesome memory that he will never forget.

--------------
www.mybackpacking.blog.com

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
PanatomicX Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 8:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice trip report GG. Harriman never gets old for me. Successful gear tests are great too!
 Post Number: 3
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 20 2013, 2:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That looks real nice. I'm going to be taking my new fiance out for her first O-N soon, maybe next week. I may well take her to that very spot.

Thanks for the TR and pix.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 7:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok. Yes, make sure on return trip u go up and over diamond mountain..down on the blue blazed trail...its a trip she won't forget, the view is sick. It is a nice hike and I'm sure u will enjoy it also. Also pine meadow lake is nice too, and from where we started its a nice hike. Very easy but beautiful..and water everywhere so u can keep pack weight to a minimum. For a first timer I can't recommend this trip enough..she will deffinetly have fun and want to do it again. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 5
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 9:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Awesome.  Might visit the place again someday I hope.  It is beautiful.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
 Post Number: 6
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2013, 11:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Beautiful is not the right word. That Greenery, water, horizon; it all rocks. Many thanks for sharing.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 28 2013, 9:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

She and I are going Monday. I'm prepping for it on prep.a.trip, a trip planning site. Here's a link to the plan:

http://www.prepatrip.com/t/fpSyFE

We're taking NJT to Suffern, and then the S-BM to Conklin's Crossing to the lake, spend the night, and then take the PM to Kakiat to Tuxedo Park. Train home...

If we can get up early enough, maybe we'll hit Diamond on the way out, or if we get there early enough. There's always next week.

About 11 miles, about half each day.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 28 2013, 11:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

cool. Let me know about taking NJ transit to Suffern. Where you taking it from? The city, Port authority? I am deffinetly interested in trying that out one time...cut out of work early, walk to Port Authority and take bus to Harriman hike for day, camp, wake up early and hike back out, take bus back to city and get to work late for another 1/2 day.Anyway..have fun and take some pictures if u can.

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 29 2013, 6:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We've taken NJT to Tuxedo before, from Penn. It's not too bad, but unless we're staying the night, we've got to get back to Tuxedo by 4 pm to make the train, else we wait until ten. Takes about two hours, door to trailhead, from Queens.

I was there was in January for the day, damned near missed that 4 o'clock train...

--------------
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 29 2013, 10:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

from Penn u have to transfere at secaucas terminal, right?
Queens? I used to live in Forest Hills, also Rego Park..

To Sufferen is that by train or bus?
sorry to hassel, but I have always thought of getting to Harriman this way from work, in the city..but have yet to actually try it.

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 29 2013, 10:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We take the 'F' to 34/PS, then NJT (MetroNorth) to Secaucus Jnct, (forget which line,) then the Pt. Jervis line to Suffern or Tuxedo.

Maybe we can all meet up some time. I'd really love for my fiance to meet all kinds in the BP community. Even you.

I kid.

In any event, I'll try and give a good TR.

--------------
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 30 2013, 8:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

LOL. OK. Sounds good. Can't wait to hear back from you.

--------------

author unknown
11 replies since Jun. 18 2013, 12:11 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Backpacking Harriman
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions