2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Had to turn back..., Bummer< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 02 2013, 8:43 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We were going to go to Suffern, hit the S-BM to Pine Meadow Lake for the night, head back on various trails to Tuxedo.

Kim and I were on the 'E,' heading to Penn Station, when at the 7th Avenue station I went flush and started pouring flop sweat. She looked at me and her look alone convinced me, though I suggested we get to PS, see how I feel.

Just couldn't do it. Besides, I really overpacked. One problem living in the city without a car - we'd have to hike perhaps three miles before the trailhead. All-in-all, about two and half hours travel time, some of it running to catch a train. Also, we have to carry, from home, enough water for at least the hike in, which includes travel to the trailhead. With the heat, 2L each. Man, water's heavy.

I guess my 'jones' got the best of me. Looks like day hikes or close-in trips til fall...

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 02 2013, 12:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok. Dang. Better luck next time..

--------------
www.mybackpacking.blog.com

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 3
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 02 2013, 1:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I had that problem on a trip to Mt. Washington, we won't speak of the outcome, but about 1/2 way I got the sweats and nausea something fierce, turned out to be a stomach virus from my son that caught up to me on the ride...  I had only wished it was the sweats from heat.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 04 2013, 12:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Made some adjustments, got the pack from ~31 to ~21. Admittedly, I listened too much to the noob; (she is my fiance;) 'Bring that, we might need it.'

After a while, no argument would do. Ten more pounds.

She'd not picked up the pack until we got home. Then she did. Then she got it. Then she asked me if I was crazy.

'Yes, sweetie. Yes, I am.'

Then I slept for six hours.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 5
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 06 2013, 11:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been pondering this for a while, and maybe I'm missing something.  Was it just the weight and the weather, or were there other factors?  If not, I suspect that your pack either doesn't fill well or wasn't optimally adjusted.   With a properly fitted, well-adjusted pack, there's no way 31 pounds should be miserable enough to cause a bailout.  I'm all in favor of lightening up and not at all against bailing when something is wrong, but just wonder if there's more to this story.
 Post Number: 6
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2013, 6:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

31#? That shouldn't be too much for just about anyone. I've often hauled around 40#-45#, (be a bit less now the dog is gone).

OTOH, 2L is only ~4# and overweight on water is kind of self correcting.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2013, 8:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I weigh 140 lbs -- 31 lbs is close to a quarter of my weight.

I should have thought better of it, though -- it was 82* w/75% humidity at 7:00 am.

--------------
 Post Number: 8
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2013, 12:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I suspect it was the weather and maybe underlying fatigue more than the weight.

Edit:  Mrs big_load weighs about 140 and typically carries 40-45 pounds on a four-day trip.  My usual trail weight is 145-150 and I carry 40-60 pounds, depending on weather on distance to water.  A summer weekender in the northeast would be about 30 pounds for me and a little less for her.
7 replies since Jul. 02 2013, 8:43 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Had to turn back...
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions