2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Ticks in the Adks< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 08 2013, 11:14 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In all our years of hiking in the Adks, we have never seen a tick. Apparently, that's all changed.

I just heard from MudRat, who was in the High Peaks this past weekend. For the first time ever, he found ticks. And  there were a significant number of them.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 08 2013, 1:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not good news to hear.

I still haven't seen a tick this spring in WNY and I've been out hiking every weekend, usually with a group of people. I've been posting a tick warning for all my group hikes, but so far no one has discovered any.
 Post Number: 3
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 17 2013, 2:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

how about the horseflies this year in the ADks???

I took my 8 yr old and a friend of hers up Bear Mt (Cranberry Lake), and a horsefly bit through her pant leg, left a hole, and a huge painful welt.  I had to carry her down the W side of the Mtn on my shoulders...my toes still hurt

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 4
Adirondackiteer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 19 2013, 2:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ahh we have plenty-o ticks in the backyard here in Ohio, have had to pull a couple out of me this year plus fling several off that luckily hadnt bitten in yet.

Speaking of bugs in the ADK... besides ticks and killer adirondack horesflies is there anyhting else to worry about right now? How is the black fly situation?

I'm finally going to make a reappearence in the 'dacks next week. Havent climbed a high peak in probably 15 years there (since late 90's when I was in college). And this is nearly a spontaneous trip I started putting together 2 days ago, but next wednesday I plan on heading to my folks house (near watertown) and then heading into the high peaks thursday morning through maybe saturday evening. The plan at the moment is to do the great range on a 3 day/ 2 night trip. I'm so stoked to finally get back up there! Any advice on conditions is appreciated. Hope the weather holds out and this rain finally ends!

--------------
???   Shoes optional :cool:
 Post Number: 5
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 22 2013, 9:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Being mid-July, the blackflies have likely been replaced by mosquitoes, no-see-ums, and deer flies.

After our 6 week deluge ended 3 weeks ago, we've barely gotten any rain. Conditions should be "normal".

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 6
Adirondackiteer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 22 2013, 11:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks WWBF, yeah I'm a little out of touch with the typical bug seasons there, but some mixed reports on adk forum lately. Seems a lot of folks were saying black fly season was very late this year, but the most recent high peak report said they didnt have much problem with bugs. So got my fingers crossed. Also found some trail conditions reports on adk website that said things were in the drying phase but still pretty muddy. Looks like rain for the first half of the week, so I'm figuring muddy. I'm actually going to attempt to do this barefoot, and though I'd prefer nice dry trails its not so bad - bare feet clean up and dry much faster than muddy wet boots! I'll have my minimalist running sandals for backup, and probably my Merrell Trail Gloves if things get really knarly. I've never hiked the great range so not really sure what to expect. Hopefully not too gravely, or I might just go straight into the Merrells.

--------------
???   Shoes optional :cool:
 Post Number: 7
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 22 2013, 11:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

We still haven't encountered any ticks on our hikes in western NY, even though we have done some bushwhacking through knee high ground cover.
6 replies since Jul. 08 2013, 11:14 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Ticks in the Adks
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions