2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Camping in Harriman< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
jmarklane Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2013, 4:55 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi Folks,

I was up in Sloatsburg today on business, and took a drive up Seven Lakes Drive.  Checked out a couple of trailheads, out of curiosity.  Haven't hiked in that area, I usually travel due north from NYC (eg Maine).  Thinking about doing a weekend, maybe starting on the Pine Meadow Lake Trail.  The rules seem to be a little unclear about camping.  I read that it is prohibited except on the AT (with limitations) and at other "designated sites".  But I have also been told that people camp all over the place in Harriman, without problems.  (And I did see some rather, um, scraggly looking people dragging sleeping bags out from the trail behind the visitors' center).  

Help?  

TIA,

Mark
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Burner973 Search for posts by this member.
Walk it off

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 11 2013, 11:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

at a shelter or within 300 feet of one is the rule for Harriman. Who follows it? Nobody. If you decide to guerilla camp make sure its hidden from the trail pretty good.

--------------
"A map is the greatest of all epic poems. Its lines and colors show the realization of great dreams." Gilbert H. Grosvenor

Peeps who keep repeating there posts sound like this after the second time, DERPA DERP UHHHHH DERPA.
 Post Number: 3
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 11 2013, 3:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I love Harriman. Nice place, close to city, for a simple over nighter or muti-day trips. Nothing really killer challenging, but enough to keep it interesting.

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
author unknown
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 11 2013, 3:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

if you scroll down in this section I recently did a trip on the Pine meadow trail..you can read about it and see some pictures..great time!! Its backpacking Harriman June 8-9

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 11 2013, 5:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Burner973 @ Jul. 11 2013, 11:14 am)
at a shelter or within 300 feet of one is the rule for Harriman. Who follows it? Nobody. If you decide to guerilla camp make sure its hidden from the trail pretty good.

Thanks for the reply.  I guess that kind of leaves me wondering, though -- if nobody follows the "rule"... why the need to stealth camp?
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 11 2013, 5:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GottaGamble @ Jul. 11 2013, 3:08 pm)
if you scroll down in this section I recently did a trip on the Pine meadow trail..you can read about it and see some pictures..great time!! Its backpacking Harriman June 8-9

Thanks, that's a nice trip report.  I assume you had no problems setting up camp there next to the lake (e.g., no one told you you couldn't do that)?
 Post Number: 7
Burner973 Search for posts by this member.
Walk it off

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 11 2013, 7:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(jmarklane @ Jul. 11 2013, 5:08 pm)

(Burner973 @ Jul. 11 2013, 11:14 am)

Thanks for the reply. I guess that kind of leaves me wondering, though -- if nobody follows the "rule"... why the need to stealth camp?

Just in case a Park Ranger should do a blue moon night hike check. I never saw one but ya never know.

--------------
"A map is the greatest of all epic poems. Its lines and colors show the realization of great dreams." Gilbert H. Grosvenor

Peeps who keep repeating there posts sound like this after the second time, DERPA DERP UHHHHH DERPA.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 11 2013, 9:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No. It was already a campsite..meaning I didn't make that fire ring. I have been all over Harriman over the last 3 or 4 years and never had any problems. I wouldn't camp too close to the trail anyway..I kinda like privacy and wouldn't want people walking past me while I camped.

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 9
CRupp Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 08 2013, 4:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

According to a few people that work at Harriman/Bear Mountain state park, not rangers just park workers, your technically supposed to stay within 500 feet of the shelter. However I've also been told by the same set of people that Rangers are not out enforcing these rules 24/7. I personally have only come across Rangers in the park once in the 5 years that I've been hiking up there. Your also not supposed to go off trail and bushwhack in the park.

Generally speaking if there is an established site that I want to stay at, and I have most of the non-shelter sites marked on my map at this point, I will plan to get there within 2 hours of sundown. It just helps to not draw attention to yourself.

I also agree with GottaGamble, I wouldn't stay to close to the trail, mainly because who wants to have a bunch of people walking super close to your site while your having breakfast!

-Chris
 Post Number: 10
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.
A different kind of rebel...

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 11 2013, 8:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The rules are for 'them' that don't know how to show a park a little respect.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 11
Pathfinder1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 11 2013, 12:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi...

Hope y'all enjoy your hiking and camping there.

NOTE: that is one of the areas in NY where deer ticks can be quite common. Please be careful.
10 replies since Jul. 10 2013, 4:55 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Camping in Harriman
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions