2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Adirondacks, High Peaks< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Sshock517 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 26 2013, 8:15 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So weve decided to hike around mount Marcy, We are gonna start at heart lake work our way down to avalanche and colden lakes and hike mount mitchel, cliff mountain and mount redman and finish up on Marcy, was curious with all the brookes and streams and lakes nearby how is the fishing aound there? who all has been in the Area?

thanks Sam
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 26 2013, 8:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mts. Marshall, Cliff, and Redfield don't have formal trails to the top. They have well-defined herdpaths, but no markers, etc. to guide you. If you want to stay on trails, try Mts. Colden and Skylight instead. They're "better" mountains anyway. If you have the energy, climb over Algonquin on your way back to Heart Lake. I'm also assuming you're not planning on doing this as a dayhike.

I haven't personally fished those waters. But typically, the lower the elevation of the brook, the better the fishing (due to flumes, etc. that prevent migration upstream). You probably won't find much of anything in Avalanche Lake. Lake Colden should be semi-productive, and Flowed Lands and Calamity Brook probably have some good fishing. Maybe even the lower section of the Opalescent above Lake Colden.

Be sure to have your NYS Fishing License. Lots of Rangers in that area.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 26 2013, 7:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Awsome thanks for the reply! yes its a total 3 day trip, mount Colden and skylight are they within good distance of tear drop lake? our Insertion point is going to be at heart lake so we have to stay within an area that we can get back to heart lake at the end of the 3rd day, we both are fit so distance isnt to much of a problem.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 27 2013, 8:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lake Tear of the Clouds (you know just enough to be dangerous :D) is between Marcy and Skylight. There is no longer a lean-to or camping there (not sure if you were planning on that).

There are several lean-tos and campsites on the southern and western shores of Lake Colden and all around Flowed Lands. Another lean-to and one campsite at the junction of the Opalescent and Uphill Brook (Uphill Lean-To) and another lean-to about 1 mile further up the trail towards Marcy (Feldspar Lean-To). Not sure about any campsites at Feldspar. Camping is allowed at Lake Arnold on the east side of Colden, but I don't recommend it as it is often wet and buggy.

I highly recommend that you purchase the Trails of the Adirondack High Peaks Region map/guidebook published by the Adirondack Mtn Club (www.adk.org)

One possible trip:
Day 1 - Hike into Lake Colden/Flowed Lands. Set up camp and fish.
Day 2 - Climb Marcy and Skylight, back to camp.
Day 3 - Back to Heart Lake by going up and over Colden or Algonquin.

--------------
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 28 2013, 4:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Okay that looks like a fun 3 day trip. One thing for clarification, we have to camp at a lean to or campsite? There isnt any primative camping? Bc they way it sounded when I read it online was you could camp anywhere as long as its 150 feet from a stream or lake. And no fires about 3500 feet.
 Post Number: 6
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 28 2013, 8:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Sshock517 @ Jul. 28 2013, 4:23 pm)
Okay that looks like a fun 3 day trip. One thing for clarification, we have to camp at a lean to or campsite? There isnt any primative camping? Bc they way it sounded when I read it online was you could camp anywhere as long as its 150 feet from a stream or lake. And no fires about 3500 feet.

Yes, you can still camp anywhere that is below 3500 feet and at least 150 feet from a trail, water, or road.  The regulation prohibiting camping outside of designated campsites and leantos has not yet gone into effect.  However - you can't camp near a leanto - leantos are for people using the leanto, not for camping around.

The leantos and designated campsites don't have anything more than an outhouse, some of which are no longer usable.

But more importantly, outside of designated campsites it can be difficult to find good places to pitch a tent.  Areas not thick with trees tend to be unlevel, and heavily rooted or rock covered.  A hammock is a great advantage in the eastern high peaks region because it allows you to get away from the crowds camping in the designated campsites and leantos.  once the camping restriction reg goes into effect, that advantage may be lost as well, unless hammocks are exceted.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 28 2013, 8:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great! Just curious when does that go into affect?
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 04 2013, 8:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just one last thing. How are the bears in the area we will.be up.there labor day weekend. And is there parking at the adirondack loj?? Thanks
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 04 2013, 8:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Sshock517 @ Aug. 04 2013, 8:06 pm)
Just one last thing. How are the bears in the area we will.be up.there labor day weekend. And is there parking at the adirondack loj?? Thanks

A bear canister is required.

Don't cook near your campsite if you don't want to be harassed by bears at night.  On crowded weekends there will always be some idiot cooking a slab of bacon with maple syrup in a designated campsite, then complaining about the bears knocking over his tent.

Parking at the loj on Labor Day can be difficult as the lots fill quickly beginning in the week before Labor Day weekend.  You should have an alternate plan in case you can't park at that entry point.  Maybe WalksWithBlackflies can help you with alternate entry points because I haven't used the other two major ones (Upper works and AMR) in many years.

Also, there is a parking discount for ADK members at the Loj that may be worth the membership if you stay long enough, assuming you get a parking spot there.
 Post Number: 10
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 05 2013, 6:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"The regulation prohibiting camping outside of designated campsites and lean to has not yet gone in to effect".  
  This has been proposed?  It's a possibility this could happen the the great Daks?   That would be a shame if they enforced that. What about people whom bushwack and venture off trail?

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 05 2013, 10:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GottaGamble @ Aug. 05 2013, 6:10 am)
"The regulation prohibiting camping outside of designated campsites and lean to has not yet gone in to effect".  
  This has been proposed?  It's a possibility this could happen the the great Daks?   That would be a shame if they enforced that. What about people whom bushwack and venture off trail?

IIRC, the powers-that-be discuss it every now and then, but it has never gained traction.

--------------
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 05 2013, 10:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Aug. 04 2013, 8:24 pm)

(Sshock517 @ Aug. 04 2013, 8:06 pm)

A bear canister is required.

Don't cook near your campsite if you don't want to be harassed by bears at night.  On crowded weekends there will always be some idiot cooking a slab of bacon with maple syrup in a designated campsite, then complaining about the bears knocking over his tent.

Parking at the loj on Labor Day can be difficult as the lots fill quickly beginning in the week before Labor Day weekend.  You should have an alternate plan in case you can't park at that entry point.  Maybe WalksWithBlackflies can help you with alternate entry points because I haven't used the other two major ones (Upper works and AMR) in many years.

Also, there is a parking discount for ADK members at the Loj that may be worth the membership if you stay long enough, assuming you get a parking spot there.

First, note that what most people refer to as the "Loj" is actually the High Peaks Information Center. The Loj proper is an adjacent building for lodging. But nearly everyone calls the HPIC the "Loj", so I'll use that terminology as well.

Assume you'll get visited by bears if you're camping in or adjacent to one of the lean-tos/campsites around Lake Colden, Flowed Lands, or Uphill. As Nogods said, cook away from your campsite, and keep your bear can 100 yards away, too. Follow those simple rules and you won't have a bear problem. FYI... you can rent bear cans at the HPIC or one of the outfitters in Lake Placid. However, note additional demand on Labor Day weekend. It may be possible to call ahead and reserve a bear can.

The Loj parking lot is large, and there is a nightly fee (~$8.00, I believe). If you get there "early" on Labor Day weekend, you probably won't have any issues with parking. As Nogods mentioned, it might be cheaper to get an ADK membership and pay the reduced parking rate. You can park for free at the South Meadows trailhead.  The turnoff for South Meadows road is approximately 1/2 mile before the Loj parking lot. "Overflow" parking would be on South Meadows road, as no parking is typically allowed on the road to the Loj (they might make an exception on Labor Day weekend). The hike to Marcy Dam is approximately the same from either the Loj or South Meadows.

Note that the Lean-tos and designated campsites will likely be filled Labor Day weekend (pray for a bad weather forecast that doesn't come true). Let me know your plans a week or so before you leave, and I'll see if I can assist you in finding some possible off-trail sites.

--------------
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 05 2013, 3:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GottaGamble @ Aug. 05 2013, 6:10 am)

The regulation is already in place - it was adopted in 2001 - it's effective date is dependent on completion of the leanto/campsite relocation plan.

In 2001, the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (the “DEC”) added new camping restrictions to the regulations governing use of wilderness areas in the Adirondack Park, including (1) a description of an area known as the South Meadows-Flowed Lands Corridor [6 NYCRR section 190.13(b)98)]; and (2) a prohibition on camping anywhere in the South Meadows-Flowed Lands Corridor other than at a designated campsite [6 NYCRR section 190.13(f)95).]

However, the camping restriction for the South Meadows-Flowed Lands Corridor does not go into effect until “such time as the department completes its designation of such campsites within such corridor.” See 6 NYCRR section 190.13(f)(5).

The article links to maps of the plan.

Adirondack Update: Camping Restrictions

http://practicaloutdoors.com/adk/maps/adkmaps.html
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 05 2013, 4:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hmmm... I didn't know that.

I wonder how they determined the affected area? The northern and southern sections don't see a lot of camping pressure.

--------------
 Post Number: 15
fifeplayer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 05 2013, 10:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Aug. 05 2013, 10:57 am)
You can park for free at the South Meadows trailhead.  The turnoff for South Meadows road is approximately 1/2 mile before the Loj parking lot.  The hike to Marcy Dam is approximately the same from either the Loj or South Meadows.

I didn't look closely enough to see where you plan on camping, but there are some pretty good off-trail sites at the base of the Trap Dike on Colden. They'll fill quickly though, since I think there're a good number of people that know 'bout them.

I really like the hike into Marcy Dam from South Meadows even more than the way in from the Loj, actually, since it's an old truck road with some nice spots for picture-taking, especially in leaf season. And it's free and not usually full. Since we're usually heading up on a Fri night after work, we often sleep in the car at South Meadows (3am to daylight).

You can rent a bear canister at The Mountaineer in Keene Valley for a few bucks, last I knew.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 06 2013, 8:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(fifeplayer @ Aug. 05 2013, 10:21 pm)

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Aug. 05 2013, 10:57 am)
You can park for free at the South Meadows trailhead.  The turnoff for South Meadows road is approximately 1/2 mile before the Loj parking lot.  The hike to Marcy Dam is approximately the same from either the Loj or South Meadows.

I didn't look closely enough to see where you plan on camping, but there are some pretty good off-trail sites at the base of the Trap Dike on Colden. They'll fill quickly though, since I think there're a good number of people that know 'bout them.

I really like the hike into Marcy Dam from South Meadows even more than the way in from the Loj, actually, since it's an old truck road with some nice spots for picture-taking, especially in leaf season. And it's free and not usually full. Since we're usually heading up on a Fri night after work, we often sleep in the car at South Meadows (3am to daylight).

You can rent a bear canister at The Mountaineer in Keene Valley for a few bucks, last I knew.

We used to camp at the sites at the end of the South Meadows Road, but I think the DEC eliminated those a few years ago.  It was convenient for late night arrival.
 Post Number: 17
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 06 2013, 8:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am glad I read that twice.  I thought it was a regulation for the entire ADK region.

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 14 2013, 8:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Okay great! Yeah I will let you kno a week before we are going if you really wanted to go out there and look around for us that would be great! And is a bear canister mandatory? Or can we have a bear bag? You said we might be able to rent one?? Thanks
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 15 2013, 8:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bear can is mandatory.

--------------
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 17 2013, 4:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I sent you a message did you get it?
 Post Number: 21
Talus. Search for posts by this member.
Delsolation is my destination

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2013, 7:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm guessing you had better get there VERY early to find even a tent site on a holiday weekend.  We hiked out on a Friday morning about a month ago and people were flocking in at a steady rate at 10:00 AM.

--------------
“Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion.”
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 21 2013, 4:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Talus just noticed your sig.

interesting guy....Viesturs wrote nicely about him

--------------
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 21 2013, 4:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Sshock517 @ Aug. 17 2013, 4:22 pm)

Yeah... did you get mine?

--------------
 Post Number: 24
Talus. Search for posts by this member.
Delsolation is my destination

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 22 2013, 4:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wcolucci @ Aug. 21 2013, 4:15 pm)
Talus just noticed your sig.

interesting guy....Viesturs wrote nicely about him

Yeah, Krakauer was not so kind but we will never know the real story.  Love the quote, though....

--------------
“Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion.”
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 26 2013, 3:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

true, we will never know...Even Beck Weathers who spoke well of him really wasn't "there"

--------------
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 27 2013, 7:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Aug. 21 2013, 4:37 pm)

Yes im gonnq call wednesday night
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 27 2013, 8:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Sshock517 @ Aug. 27 2013, 7:31 am)

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Aug. 21 2013, 4:37 pm)

Yes im gonnq call wednesday night

OK. Talk with you then.

--------------
26 replies since Jul. 26 2013, 8:15 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Adirondacks
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions