2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Best View in the Northeast?, What are the best views in your region?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
kherrel1 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 7:23 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In our September 2013 issue, we asked guidebook writers, BACKPACKER field scouts, landscape photographers, and other local experts nationwide to rule on the sweetest backcountry vista in their corner of the union. The result? Fifty unforgettable views and a Top 10 list that will fill memory cards. We stand behind our choices, but no doubt you'll have your own favorites in your region. Think we got it wrong? Let us know by posting your own choice here (ideally with a photo)!

Our picks:

Connecticut
Bear Mountain,
Mt. Riga SP
42.044871, -73.454369
Trip ID: www.backpacker.com/hikes/34984

Maine
Bigelow Mountain's West Peak, Bigelow Preserve
45.146816, -70.288017
Trip ID www.backpacker.com/hikes/47876

Massachusetts
Peddocks Island, Boston Harbor Islands NRA
42.291231, -70.947775

New Hampshire
Zeacliff, White Mountains NF
44.183866, -71.495075

New York
The Egg, Harriman SP
41.169028, -74.110272
Trip ID www.backpacker.com/hikes/1715727

Rhode Island
Clay Head Preserve, Block Island
41.21273, -71.555167

Vermont
Camel's Hump, Camel's Hump SP
44.319611, -72.886283
Trip ID www.backpacker.com/hikes/53644

(Photo by Joseph Antony)

-Posted by BP.com staff
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 10:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

NY: That would be correct. City dwellers... there is no need to drive any further north.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 3
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 12:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Jul. 31 2013, 10:04 am)
NY: That would be correct. City dwellers... there is no need to drive any further north.

Lmao...funny

--------------
www.mybackpacking.blog.com

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 4
neversuited1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 20 2013, 12:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

[I]Maryland

Savage Mountain Hiking Trail (4 mile ridge section to Barton Camp of General Braddock's Trail)

View 3 States nearing the end of this history filled hike through the Western Maryland Appalachian Mountains!

B
 Post Number: 5
Talus. Search for posts by this member.
Delsolation is my destination

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 20 2013, 2:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've always hiked up there during the week, and I was shocked at the parade that was coming from Upper Works on a Friday morning as we were hiking out.

--------------
“Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion.”
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 6
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 25 2013, 3:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's funny. Poking fun at 'city dwellers.'

I've found, though, that many of the trailheads near towns (in NY, from Suffern to Harriman, near me,) are filthy until you're about a quarter mile in. Beer cans, broken glass, used condoms, cars, appliances, tires, you name it. 'City dwellers' didn't put that stuff there. It was surely the 'townies.'

We 'city dwellers' don't spend the hours it can take to get where we want to break beer bottles or chuck a broken toaster oven. 'Townies' know that it's a ten minute walk to be out from under the scrutiny of the law. They don't give a damn about LNT, if they've ever even heard about it; or if they have they think it's 'stupid and uncool and whatever.'

Are there people from cities that have the same attitude? Sure, but they're seldom out in the sticks.

I've been backpacking for over twenty years, and have lived in a metropolis for just about all of them.

Let the snark begin, hayseeds.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 7
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 25 2013, 7:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bigsilk @ Aug. 25 2013, 3:55 pm)

It's funny. Poking fun at 'city dwellers.'

I've found, though, that many of the trailheads near towns (in NY, from Suffern to Harriman, near me,) are filthy until you're about a quarter mile in. Beer cans, broken glass, used condoms, cars, appliances, tires, you name it. 'City dwellers' didn't put that stuff there. It was surely the 'townies.'

We 'city dwellers' don't spend the hours it can take to get where we want to break beer bottles or chuck a broken toaster oven. 'Townies' know that it's a ten minute walk to be out from under the scrutiny of the law. They don't give a damn about LNT, if they've ever even heard about it; or if they have they think it's 'stupid and uncool and whatever.'

Are there people from cities that have the same attitude? Sure, but they're seldom out in the sticks.

I've been backpacking for over twenty years, and have lived in a metropolis for just about all of them.

Let the snark begin, hayseeds.

¥£€¡¡¡¿¿~~>what he said!! I agree with that. City backpackers travel long distances and I doubt they are the ones going to the nearest shelter..1 mile off the road and trashing it or dumping gabage along the way in and out.  We also don't slash tires at over night parking areas or break into cars. We do all of that stuff in the city and the suberbs of NYC. Kind of sad ... Odds are though..he is right, its most certainly is  the locals.  Anyway, I do disagree that that view is the best in NY. I don't Think I have found my best view just yet, I'm sure I will in do time.

--------------
www.mybackpacking.blog.com

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 8
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 26 2013, 9:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anything south of Newburgh is "the City" :D

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 9
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 26 2013, 11:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

The best view in the northeast is the one from my hammock.  No mater what I see it  is relaxing.
8 replies since Jul. 30 2013, 7:23 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Best View in the Northeast?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions