2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Seeking trail section with four-wall shelters, I don't want to be eaten by a bear< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Bohan Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 15 2013, 4:54 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been thinking of doing some overnight camping alone. The first time might be in Croton Point Park where I'll test things out. Then maybe on the Long Trail or the AT when it's crowded. After that maybe I'll join a hiking group (the cheap ones seem to require "experienced beginners" or better). Is there a nice stretch of four-wall shelters on a trail that's not too far from NYC (like within 50 miles)? A good fossil location would be a plus.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
GlenG Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 15 2013, 5:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here in the east, I don't think you'll have anything to worry about bear wise, as long, as you keep you campsite relatively clean, and put your food and garbage in the car if you are car camping, or in a bear vault, or such if you are BPing.  As long as there is no food or garbage let out overnight, it shouldn't be an issue.  Nothing to worry about....squirrels, chipmunks and raccoons will probably cause more damage than a bear also.
 Post Number: 3
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 15 2013, 6:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Try Harriman State Park...about an hours drive from the city.  The AT runs through it, along with many other trails. Do yourself a favor and pick up Harriman State Park Bear Mountain map set. There are no 4 wall shelters though. Don't be scared of bears...there are plenty of lean tos...shelters with 3 walls and a roof.

--------------
www.mybackpacking.blog.com

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 4
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 16 2013, 9:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Do everyone a favor and stay in the City.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 5
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 16 2013, 10:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not that bears are a worry in your area but do your overnights in a place where bears are hunted and they'll stay as far away from you as they can.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 16 2013, 12:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I actually found a section on the Long Trail with enclosed shelters. It's good for rainy days even if you're not afraid of bears. The privy and water availability seem better than on the AT too.

http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/9523/buf3.jpg
 Post Number: 7
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 16 2013, 12:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

if your only defense against bears is a door, what happens if the bear breaks down the door?
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 16 2013, 12:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's just an extra defense. It would have helped in this case. But those guys put their food on top of the shelter. I have no experience camping but I bet I would have found a way to hang the food from a tree.
 Post Number: 9
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 16 2013, 1:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dude, I solo in grizzly country (as do some others here) and just take standard precautions. I've had lots of encounters but no problems. You're in black bear country and except for places like Shenandoah and the Smokies where bears cannot legally be hunted, you have nothing to worry about. You're really getting worked up over nothing.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 10
2Dogs1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 17 2013, 12:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hotels have 4 walls
 Post Number: 11
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 17 2013, 9:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hostels...and they cheap

--------------
www.mybackpacking.blog.com

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 12
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 18 2013, 11:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Snark aside, don't go camping alone until you have more experience. If you'll look around this site and others like it, you'll see that with precautions, your chance of even encountering a bear is quite possibly a once in a lifetime experience, usually enjoyed from afar.

They don't like people. They like our food, though. That's why you hang it in a bear can some distance away from your site.

What you're more likely to encounter are mice and other rodents, at least in Harriman. In the Catskills, porcupines are the culprit. They'll eat your shoes for the salt.

Try the New York/New Jersey Trail Conference meetup group. They're always happy to see people taking their free on-trail courses. It's a great opportunity to gain experience.

For a little light reading before you join, check this: Gear forum

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
11 replies since Aug. 15 2013, 4:54 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Seeking trail section with four-wall shelters
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions