2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: my first solo, overnighter< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2013, 10:43 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I finally did it. Got tired of waiting for others, and if I did wait, I would never get to do what I enjoy.  So I packed up and headed to harriman for my first solo overnight trip. My pack weighed 14 lbs total with food and water. My ankle was sprained last weekend in that mud run, but I took care of it all week and kept it wrapped for this hike, it was good to go. I got to the trail head at Silvermine Picnic area at 12 noon. I started my hike on the yellow blazed Menomine trail. My goal for the day was to hike about 7.5 miles to the fingerboard shelter. After about 3/4-1 mile or so I picked up the Appalachian trail. About 2 miles in, I realized..OMG!! I forgot my damn pack!! How could this be possible? Then I realized..silly, I had it on, it was just so lightweight I hadnt noticed it--heheheee. I saw 4 wild turkeys scurrying ahead on the trail. At one point, I twisted my ankle and jerked to the right and my hiking pole speared down into my other foot!! damn..right between my little toes..lol. That was close. I guess thats a disadvantage of weariong trail runners with mesh huh? How would I explain that?? Spraining my ankle again and stabbing my pole through my other foot? Wow, ok, close call but no harm done. The rest of my hike in was uneventfull except for the beautifull scenery. I arrived at my destination much faster then expected..3 pm. Ok, so it was an easy hike and i did well with my bad ankle. I pitched my bug bivy a few hundred yards from Fingerboard shelter. Within a minute or 2 my bed was made for the night. I didnt get to pitch the Patrol Shelter because it was a beautifull night and I did not need it. I just used the bivy as a ground sheet, used my 3/4 foam GG pad and my golite 1 season quilt. Kept it real simple and I was comfortable. No fire was needed for ther night, but since I had ample time before sundown, I did collect some dead twigs just in case during the night I felt I wanted the comfort of a small fire. I did not need it and i did not make a fire. I hung my food bag, PCT style about a hundred yards or so from where I was sleeping. It took some time to find the right tree and branch for this method, I am used to useing the Ursack and just tying it off near by.  I ddi find a branch that worked out well, though maybe it was not hung 100% correct..it may have been a bit close to the tree? Maybe 4 or 5 feet out. I dont know, but it worked fine. I woke up at 6 am and it was a great feeling surving the night of my first solo trip. The fear is gone!! Not that I was scared, but going out alone for the first time has its moments. I packed up within 5 minutes..again, it is nice to have so little to pack up..I almost felt like I was forgetting something. I hit the trail at 6:30am..hiking the AT to the Long Path to the Menomine trail and back to the car..about 7 miles or so..3.5 hours. I did stop along the way to filter some water and make myself a strawberry shake(packitgourmet). I made it succsefull and I really enjoyed my first solo trip. I plan on going out solo more often now. Other then with my kids, it always seems to be a hassel when friends come with me. Who cant do what, who wants to go home early, who needs a break, who doesnt have the right gear. Going solo opened up a whole new world of backpacking for me..more freedom and less hassel and less weight.

I can say that I LOVED my Bear Paw Wilderness Designs bug bivy. It weighs about 10 ounces, packs like the size of a seltzer bottle and sets up and breaks down in a few simple seconds. It was nice to sleep on that and if it was buggy I could actually zip it up and still have the views.
 I also like useing the GG foam torso pad instead of the neoair. I just pulled it out of my pack and layed it down. It wasnt too bad to sleep on, I found a nice grassy soft spot to lay and this worked out well. It was also a pleasure in the morning to just fold it and slide it into my pack..no need to deflate and roll it up..saved a few minutes and no worries.
 Lukes Ultra light critter bag, hanging it PCT style, well, I already mentioned how that worked out for me. I like it and time will tell how it holds up.
  I will continue to pack this way and soon enough I am sure I will get to use my patrol shelter also. I loved going solo and will continue to go solo as needed. All of my gear works well for me and the last test is the test of time. i will post some pictures as soon as I DL them onto pc.

--------------
www.mybackpacking.blog.com

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
author unknown
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2013, 10:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Glad you had a great experience.

I love solo and I also love going with others (usually one or more of my now college-age kids). I think of them as two different kinds of BPing experiences.

You mentioned getting to camp fairly early. I have found that I tend to hike longer days when I am solo--camp can actually tend to get a little boring, so I tend to hike until about dinner time, whereas on a group trip, I like to have some afternoon time in camp.

I also kindof laughed when you said "...it was a great feeling surving the night of my first solo trip. The fear is gone!!" If I have "fear" when I'm solo, it is never at camp, whether day or night. I'm more nervous when I'm actually hiking: what if I fall, break an ankle, etc.--stuff I hardly think about at all when someone is with me. I generally make more conservative decisions about off-trail travel and scrambling when I'm solo.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2013, 11:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, those thoughts passed my mind while hiking..what if I get hurt. But figuring I made it safely to camp..that fear passed..now getting through the night,"cowboy" camping..alone, lol. Also my next trip I will deffinatly plan more mileage so I have less time at " camp".

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 4
PanatomicX Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2013, 3:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No big deal, right? I've solo'd in Harriman a bunch of times, always fun. And now that everything went so well, you can try with a heavier pack! :)
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2013, 3:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(PanatomicX @ Sep. 16 2013, 3:10 pm)
No big deal, right? I've solo'd in Harriman a bunch of times, always fun. And now that everything went so well, you can try with a heavier pack! :)

NEVER..with a heavier pack, hahahaa. I love my packweight and my gear. Its funny because I did see some other people hiking and their packs were huge!! I am talking expedition huge, like they were going on a 3 month, no resupply expedition. They seemed to be struggling as I breezed past them. I understand a 30 or 40 lb pack, but these guys/gals seemed to hauling maybe 65-75 lbs. at least!

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 6
Adirondackiteer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2013, 7:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice! I had a similar experience recently... doing my first solo trip a few weeks ago. Mine was a bit more aggressive 3 day trip, and I hadnt been in any real mountains in many years, and most all my gear was new (meanign unfamiliar and untested)... so yeah I had a bit of fear in me!

I've hiked with a couple friends a few times, but they never want to travel as far to get to bigger mountains, and they also arent in the best of shape and want to put in pretty low mileage and spend a lot of time at camp relaxing. I dont mind that every once in a while, but for so long I wanted to make that trip where I conquered miles and peaks and that just wasnt happening with anyone I knew!

Everything went well on mine, and it was a fantastic trip. I probably should do a write up I took lots of pics (was in the great range in the adk's).

I see myself doing solo trips more now. And be safe to you if you do more.

And 14#... jeesh thats lite! Guess I've never really done a 1-nighter though but still doubt I could get down to that.

--------------
???   Shoes optional :cool:
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2013, 8:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

14 lbs total. My base weight minus food and water is 8.9 lbs. So for one night or multi night the only difference would really be food weight. If I was going multi nights I most certainly would dehydrate my meals to save weight that way. That's also my spring/fall weight. Summer would be a tad lighter and winter would be a tad heavier.. Sounds like you were in same situation as I, with friends holding you back. Glad you made your first solo a success. I will deffinatly work up to bigger and better trips as I go along.  I have big plans..Catskills, Daks and beyond NY for sure. The AT, the JMT are also in my future when time permits. There will be no stopping me now, lol.  You should post your TR if you get time. I would love to read it and see some pictures, as would other forum members I'm sure.  I downloaded my pictures so tomorrow if I have some time at work I will post them.

--------------

author unknown
6 replies since Sep. 16 2013, 10:43 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply my first solo
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions