2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Hammock and Kilt Bushwhack - Lonkto Hollow Ridge< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
nogods Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2013, 6:58 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I led a 9.5 mile bushwhack on the Lonkto Hollow Ridge in Allegany State Park this weekend. A great day for the hammock and the kilt.

Today I got steroids injected into the left hip. It feels much better. I think I'll get the right injected as well.

Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2013, 4:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

nice shot of the hammock.

--------------
www.mybackpacking.blog.com

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
author unknown
 Post Number: 3
ki0eh Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2013, 4:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Where I tend to bushwhack I definitely wouldn't consider wearing a kilt. Now I have a vision of a cane of M.F. rose catching, um, something under there. Not pleasant.
 Post Number: 4
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2013, 7:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, when I "bushwhack" I avoid heavy brush no matter what I'm wearing.  I'm not plowing through a field of thorn bushes, rose or berry - even if dressed in suit of armor.  I tell the groups I lead that they have to expect a planned bushwhack route to be 10 to 20 percent longer than expected because we go around obstacles like thorn bush fields and thick blowdown.
 Post Number: 5
ki0eh Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2013, 9:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In laying out trail on private property in the outer realms of PA and NY often the landowner if willing indicates we are to follow property lines. One I recall intensely is where his grandpa must have been an early adopter of the multiflora rose fence concept as soon as the conservation folks told him about it in 1952 or so. Not much choice for us a couple of times to bushwhack that before the trail crew came in. Ouch.
 Post Number: 6
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2013, 10:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

The MF acronym doesn't stand for "multiflora" to bushwhackers, surveyors, wetland delineators, etc. I hate the stuff. Once got tangled in it like a helpless scarecrow.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
5 replies since Sep. 16 2013, 6:58 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Hammock and Kilt Bushwhack - Lonkto Hollow Ridge
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions