2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Harriman this week< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.
A different kind of rebel...

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 14 2013, 1:08 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll be heading out to HSP to try my new hammock setup.

If anyone's interested:

I'll start out from Harriman Station at about 11 am or so, take the Sapphire (blue) to the AT (white) trail, and then under the NYST to (near) Bald Rocks shelter. (NYNJTC Map 119)

I'll hike to Tuxedo next day to make the 4:06 pm train back.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 14 2013, 2:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

when you going? think I am gonna do something next friday to saturday. Was thinking of maybe taking the bus to deleware Water gap..anyway, have fun..take some pictures

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 14 2013, 3:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh, right... Wednesday.

If you were thinking of heading out to the DWG again this season, drop me a note.

I avoid weekends, especially in leaf season...

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 14 2013, 5:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Next Friday morning early...come back Saturday

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 14 2013, 7:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I meant later this fall/winter. I'll be in NJ next w/e, and expect to head out with my fiance to HSP again at the end of October.

I'll get into the teens, overnight -- looking forward to nice weather.

--------------
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 14 2013, 8:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, I'm up for a winter hike in Harriman or Catskills..

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 15 2013, 7:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Change of plans, if anyone cares... I'll be taking the earlier train (9:30) to Harriman, and I'll just start walking around until I find a place to hang near dark.

--------------
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 11:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

well? How did you make out? How was your hammock setup?  Have not heard from you since you left..did you make it back? Should we call SAR?

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 9
solowalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 11:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

seamen foot got him ! :O
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 21 2013, 8:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

so how was the trip ?
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2013, 11:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i hope he didnt get lost...

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2013, 8:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

naa, he posted in the gear section the other day.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2013, 9:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sorry, folks, we had a change of plans. Turns out her brother was going to be out of town but he changed his plans to this week, so we went to Jersey this past weekend.

I did sleep in the hammock, though. Two nights. Didn't work out as well as the stories I've heard from people who's live were profoundly altered by the experience. I probably got seven hours of sleep, both nights combined.

First, I'm not a back sleeper, but if I can drop 2 pounds (yeah, two) from my pack, I'll get it figured out. Insulation is a different animal. Inflated pads are pretty problematic if not useless; instead a CCF pad with an underquilt (UQ) should be used. Basically, an UQ is a taco-shaped quilt that attaches to the bottom of the hammock by way of a ridgeline, a length of cord that runs horizontally over the hammock from head to toe. I don't have one, thus I was relegated to adding a few breaths to my pad and trying to sleep on it. Most of the night its ends were sticking up at my sides; it would turn exactly 90*. My feet got cold because the zipper on my SB became compromised at the foot box. I also wasn't a huge fan of the ubiquitous swaying.  Okay, that's the bad.

Now, the good. It's light. As I mentioned, I shaved quite a bit off my pack. I packed for an outdoors overnighter when we went to NJ. I didn't weigh it, but it felt like two pounds. Also, a bunch of new space. That'll change with the UQ, though. It's fast. It might have taken a minute to put the hammock up. The tarp takes a while longer, though. If you can find two hardwoods big enough and far enough apart, you've got a campsite. That's nice. That's real nice.

I'm going to guy out the sides of the hammock with shock cord. It'll reduce the sway and get the fabric to lay a little flatter. As the 'hangers' at hammockforums.net encouraged me to do, I'll stick with it. I see the benefits. Where most of us here in the NE go, it's sharp rocks and trees; use the latter to avoid the former. It's faster, lighter, and (usually) more versatile than a tent. I say usually because there are situations where a hammock is problematic. The Pine Barrens is one of those places. For miles and miles and miles there is little else but Pygmy Pines, a tree unique to the area. They're thin and soft. But sleeping on pine needles on sugar sand is nice.

And hanging is cheaper, mostly. I bought my hammock on STP for $15. The suspension is a combination of 1' webbing ($8 for 30', ebay) which I cut in half and tied follow-figure-8's into, two Amsteel loops ($6, simply_light on ebay,) two cinch buckles ($5, dutchwaregear.com,) and an Adjustable Structural Ridgeline ($13, simply_light on ebay.) The ASR is a length of Amsteel (as strong as steel, as light as 550 -- 7/16" has a working limit of 1600 pounds) that allows you to determine the angle of hang, typically 30*. My tarp is a Gear Guide 11' x 11' ($42, amazon.com.) I use 550 to suspend and guy out the tarp, so, maybe another $5 in cordage. I also bought a GI bug net ($15, amazon.com) which I'll DIY for warm weather.

As with tent camping, there are all sorts of gadgets and doohickeys and other technical gear to buy. But my setup will get me by in warmer temps (45*?) until I can afford to buy/make an UQ.

I did neglect to bring a camera, but I'll give a more complete TR with pix when I do it for real, maybe next week.

--------------
 Post Number: 14
thefuzz Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2013, 12:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

hammocks suck!
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 27 2013, 4:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(thefuzz @ Oct. 26 2013, 12:19 pm)
hammocks suck!

8 posts in a year and a half, and you show up to write that?

I love the 'Ignore' button.

--------------
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 27 2013, 5:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

what ?
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 27 2013, 5:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

he said he likes the ignore button! :angry:
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 27 2013, 6:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2013, 6:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(solowalker @ Oct. 27 2013, 5:33 pm)
he said he likes the ignore button! :angry:

No, I said I LOVE the ignore button!

--------------
 Post Number: 20
camper10469 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2013, 8:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm with the fuzz... Hamhocks suck for side sleepers. Also cold as hell swinging in the wind unless you carry another 3 pounds of sheit to make it work.... So where is the savings in weight if you now need an UQ n all the sleeping stuff you normally bring?... My tent weighs 3LBs... Your hamhock plus a quilt is.... ?

Three pounds!

Hahahahaha....

Oh be sure yor UQ is wind proof as well or you'll freeze your cookies off at 10°f.

--------------
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2013, 11:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

the only time a hammock is good, is when you are on a beach with a drink in your hand.
 Post Number: 22
camper10469 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2013, 2:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hamhocks also make great sandwiches!

--------------
 Post Number: 23
avidcampr60 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2013, 10:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Any one up for an overnight in Harriman this weekend nice weather maybe the timp
22 replies since Oct. 14 2013, 1:08 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Harriman this week
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions