2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: What you may or may not do, Regional backcountry camping laws< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.
A different kind of rebel...

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 25 2013, 9:11 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My fiance and I went to Central Park yesterday to play with my hammock and tarp, train a little. The moment I pulled out my hang, one of those guys in the utility carts zoomed up to me and got in my business. I told him it was just to measure a good distance between trees, that I wasn't going to put it under load. He said he didn't care. Take it off the tree, or I will. If I do, you won't get it back.

Ah...

I also read a blog about a thru-hiker being hit with fines totaling $1100 for one campsite -- trespassing, damage to state property, (she was hanging and got a fine for each tree,) and illegal camping. She got it down to $250, but still...

So, I thought I'd avoid a fine, or confiscation, or being banned by becoming a little more knowledgeable of the laws in places I like to backpack.

NYSDEC laws on backcountry camping. Pretty much what we do, anyway.

I wrote to Michele Buckley at NJDEP and she replied,
"Camping is only permitted in designated camping areas throughout all the NJ State parks/forests. There are campsites available along the trail and one night stays are permitted at these locations."

I found this for PA: Pennsylvania backcountry camping guide

Connecticut seems to be all over the place. Call Ranger Bob.

Note that this post is titled 'What you may or may not do,' not, 'What you can and cannot do. HYOH.

I'll update the list when I get more.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2013, 11:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Several years ago I asked if hanging a hammock in a DEC leanto in the ADK's would be illegal because tents are prohibited in or around leantos.  I was told by the supervising ranger that a hammock was not considered a tent so it could be used inside a leanto.

Turned out he was also a hammock camper and felt strongly that with use of tree straps there was a lot less damage to the forest from hammocks than from tents.

He also said he was lobbying to have hammocks excepted from the no-camping-except-at-designated-sites rule that may someday (but has not yet) go into effect for the South Meadows-Flowed Lands Corridor.
 Post Number: 3
JoeinCT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2013, 10:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I set up my tent in a shelter on the AT in MA several years ago(for bug protection).  It was a free standing tent with no fly.  No one said anything to me, probably because there was only one other family in the camping area.

In CT, information regarding backpack camping is available at  http://ct.gov/deep.

--------------
Remember--Pack out more than you pack in.

Joe
 Post Number: 4
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2013, 7:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nogods...

I have been looking around for a bit as to where the rules state that you cannot erect a tent near a lean to.

This is the only one I found that had any relevance and it is a bit ambiguous...basically stating you can't erect the tent INSIDE the OPEN CAMP, aka lean to...not the lean to SITE....

190.6 Open camps

a. Open camps (lean-tos) may not be occupied by the same person or persons for more than three successive nights or for more than 10 nights in any one calendar year, provided others wish to use such camps.

b. The enclosure of the fronts of open camps is prohibited, except by tying canvas or nylon tarpaulins in place or erecting snow walls. The use of wood, nails, screws or other fasteners is prohibited.

c. The erection of tents in open camps is prohibited.

Again, to me c states you cannot erect the tent IN an open camp.......

Not trying to be argumentative...merely looking for the ruling.

And yes, I've done it in the past

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 5
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2013, 9:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wcolucci @ Nov. 05 2013, 7:52 am)
Nogods...

I have been looking around for a bit as to where the rules state that you cannot erect a tent near a lean to.

This is the only one I found that had any relevance and it is a bit ambiguous...basically stating you can't erect the tent INSIDE the OPEN CAMP, aka lean to...not the lean to SITE....

190.6 Open camps

a. Open camps (lean-tos) may not be occupied by the same person or persons for more than three successive nights or for more than 10 nights in any one calendar year, provided others wish to use such camps.

b. The enclosure of the fronts of open camps is prohibited, except by tying canvas or nylon tarpaulins in place or erecting snow walls. The use of wood, nails, screws or other fasteners is prohibited.

c. The erection of tents in open camps is prohibited.

Again, to me c states you cannot erect the tent IN an open camp.......

Not trying to be argumentative...merely looking for the ruling.

And yes, I've done it in the past

The DEC interprets "open camp" to include a 150 foot radius around the lean-to.  The lean-tos used to have that rule interpretation posted inside the lean-tos, but those have long since been removed by jerks.

I've seen rangers informing people that their tents have to be moved away from the lean-to.  Failure to obey gets two tickets - a ticket for illegal camping and a ticket for failing to obey a DEC Ranger's orders.
 Post Number: 6
camper10469 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2013, 7:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ahem.... Central Park is not the back country.

Besides it is run by a conservency which gives it private property status n special rules... Even photography has special rules.

--------------
 Post Number: 7
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 07 2013, 8:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

The DEC interprets "open camp" to include a 150 foot radius around the lean-to.  The lean-tos used to have that rule interpretation posted inside the lean-tos, but those have long since been removed by jerks.

Interesting....I have to admit, there were several times we have done just that...and I have been fortunate in that we have only run into other bp's 2x...and they set up along side us.   Ignorance loves company.

In all honesty, I tend to think it one of the worst spots to pitch a tent due to risk of tent/gear damage from sparks and the tamed chipmunks and mice that frequent the area surrounding the leanto

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
6 replies since Oct. 25 2013, 9:11 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply What you may or may not do
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions