2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Hikes with Frozen Water 2013/2014, Pictures and observations< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
vinovampire Search for posts by this member.
Winter is Coming

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 28 2013, 10:27 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It seems like the "winter" season is almost here in Northern New England. We ran into a fair amount of icy rock and snow this weekend in Vermont. Snowshoes were not needed yet, but microspikes and poles were helpful. Along the summit ridge, there was enough snow that baskets on my poles would have been useful.

Mt Mansfield via Sunset Ridge Trail, October 27, 2013

Has anybody else seen snow yet on a hike in the northeast? How are the conditions in your area?

:angry: ino :angry: ampire!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2013, 4:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(vinovampire @ Oct. 28 2013, 10:27 am)
It seems like the "winter" season is almost here in Northern New England. We ran into a fair amount of icy rock and snow this weekend in Vermont. Snowshoes were not needed yet, but microspikes and poles were helpful. Along the summit ridge, there was enough snow that baskets on my poles would have been useful.

Mt Mansfield via Sunset Ridge Trail, October 27, 2013

Has anybody else seen snow yet on a hike in the northeast? How are the conditions in your area?

:angry: ino :angry: ampire!

I haven't had a chance to get out, but we are expecting flurries on the coast of maine tonight.  Darn cold too.  Very nice pic!!

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 3
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.
A different kind of rebel...

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2013, 6:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Still dry as a bone here in the southern states of the northeast (NY, CT). We've actually had very little precipitation at all, but it's not quite cold enough for snow. Forecast has it fall below freezing in some of the towns around where I stomp, like Harriman, Tuxedo, Suffern, likely a few degrees colder in the hills, but not much of a chance of precip.

Great pic.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 4
solowalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2013, 12:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i think its going to be a good snow year (i hope) had a light dusting in the catskills last week, and nice temps. cool pic vino  :cool:
 Post Number: 5
camper10469 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2013, 8:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow... Let the snow dance begin boyz! SoLo n I got a nice taste of snow last week... Yeah only an inch n gone by sun up, at least we got some flake.

Pray for a good winter everyone?

--------------
 Post Number: 6
vinovampire Search for posts by this member.
Winter is Coming

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2013, 12:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(camper10469 @ Oct. 30 2013, 8:36 pm)
Wow... Let the snow dance begin boyz! SoLo n I got a nice taste of snow last week... Yeah only an inch n gone by sun up, at least we got some flake.

Pray for a good winter everyone?

Agreed! I'm really hoping for a nice, snowy winter!

Hopefully the rains we're having right now in the valleys is coming down as snow in the mountains. We're going out again this weekend to check the conditions again. I've made the switch from the 3-season backpack to my winter gear!

I hope everybody shares pictures as the snow begins to build up! Whoo Hoo!!!

:D
 Post Number: 7
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2013, 3:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I want snow and I want to do a winter trip this year!!

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
author unknown
 Post Number: 8
JoeinCT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 03 2013, 4:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't know... Yesterday 65 degrees, and sunny.

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
Remember--Pack out more than you pack in.

Joe
 Post Number: 9
solowalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 03 2013, 5:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

dont worry joe, it's comeing ! :)                                        i love coverd bridges, is that one by you ?
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2013, 9:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes it's at Chatfield Hollow State Park.  More of a pedestrian walkway than a car traffic bridge.  There is also a working water wheel there.  It's not connected to anything, but it spins merrily along 24/7 on surprisingly little water(once it is turning).

--------------

Joe
 Post Number: 11
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2013, 7:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lots of frost last two nights...low 20's....no snow.

But yup, it is coming and we're gonna get whacked this year

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2013, 10:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

One can Hope...

--------------

Joe
11 replies since Oct. 28 2013, 10:27 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Hikes with Frozen Water 2013/2014
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions